News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Control Cities That Skip Entire States on the Route

Started by Laplace, January 28, 2019, 05:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Why not Rolla?  Too small for a control city?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ozarkman417

Other than at the bottom of the distance signs, where does Springfield appear as a control city between STL and Rolla (Springfield, Mo EXIT 5A sign on I-270 does not count)? Even after I-270, the control city is consistently Rolla, like on the APL at MO 141. If you were to sign Rolla as a replacement for Tulsa, that would be like replacing KC with Columbia, or Chicago for Springfield, IL.

FrCorySticha

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 16, 2020, 04:35:33 PM
They had I-255 and US 67 (???) shields set up for the reopening ceremony surrounding the podium...Are MoDOT and IDOT considering moving US 67 to I-255 instead of thru St Louis and Alton?

That would make a lot of sense, especially to emphasize that route to Alton as a bypass. IL 255 could be changed over to US 67 with no duplex. Instead of turning left to continue on Lindbergh, NB US 67 could turn right and enter I-255.

However, that would mean Lindbergh north of I-64/US 40 would have no highway designation unless MoDOT decided to give it a 3-digit x67 number. St. Louis already has 267 and 367, so perhaps 467?

ilpt4u

Quote from: FrCorySticha on December 16, 2020, 08:47:17 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on December 16, 2020, 04:35:33 PM
They had I-255 and US 67 (???) shields set up for the reopening ceremony surrounding the podium...Are MoDOT and IDOT considering moving US 67 to I-255 instead of thru St Louis and Alton?

That would make a lot of sense, especially to emphasize that route to Alton as a bypass. IL 255 could be changed over to US 67 with no duplex. Instead of turning left to continue on Lindbergh, NB US 67 could turn right and enter I-255.

However, that would mean Lindbergh north of I-64/US 40 would have no highway designation unless MoDOT decided to give it a 3-digit x67 number. St. Louis already has 267 and 367, so perhaps 467?
Could just sign Lindbergh, the Alton Bridge, and US 67 in Alton up to Godfrey as Business US 67

I have no idea why the US 67 signs at the ceremony, tho. The press clips I read just basically said the project opened early, and came in under budget. There was no announcement about moving US 67 onto I-255, at least covered in the news, anyway

FrCorySticha

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 16, 2020, 09:06:14 PM
Could just sign Lindbergh, the Alton Bridge, and US 67 in Alton up to Godfrey as Business US 67
That would work, though MO likes its 3-digit state routes for old US highway alignments.

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 16, 2020, 09:06:14 PM
I have no idea why the US 67 signs at the ceremony, tho. The press clips I read just basically said the project opened early, and came in under budget. There was no announcement about moving US 67 onto I-255, at least covered in the news, anyway
I did see something about upgrades to US 67 north of the IL 255 merger, and that they're part of the same Rebuild Illinois Plan: https://wlds.com/i-255-to-reopen-a-month-ahead-of-schedule-preliminary-work-starts-on-u-s-67-expansion/

hobsini2

Quote from: ozarkman417 on December 16, 2020, 07:32:07 PM
Other than at the bottom of the distance signs, where does Springfield appear as a control city between STL and Rolla (Springfield, Mo EXIT 5A sign on I-270 does not count)? Even after I-270, the control city is consistently Rolla, like on the APL at MO 141. If you were to sign Rolla as a replacement for Tulsa, that would be like replacing KC with Columbia, or Chicago for Springfield, IL.
Rolla is way too tiny too. That would be more like replacing Kansas City with Warrenton on I-70. At least Columbia is a significant city with a division 1 university. If you wanted to keep a city in Missouri that was not Springfield, I would use Joplin.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

JayhawkCO

South of Lamar, CO, US287/385 lists the mileage for Dumas, TX without acknowledging Oklahoma.

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.