AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
 on: Today at 12:03:15 AM 
Started by Buck87 - Last post by Buck87
This doesn’t amount to some curling equivalent of the Miracle On Ice as it seems like the original post was saying.

Miracle On Ice? You obviously read way more into that post than what was written.

Anyway, the US men's team defeated Switzerland Tuesday to stay alive, and needs a win Wednesday against Great Britain to get to a tiebreaker.

Meanwhile the US women's team lost Tuesday to the surprising South Korean team, and needs a win Wednesday over Sweden plus a Japanese loss to Switzerland to get to a tiebreaker.

on: February 20, 2018, 11:34:41 PM 
Started by ZLoth - Last post by PurdueBill
Indiana has credit card readers at the cashless lanes, though I'm not sure if those are there for a malfunctioning transponder, a transponder with no money on it, malfunctioning equipment that can't read the transponder, or all three.  It's still not quite a perfect solution when each car in the lane has to spend 5-10 minutes on the phone completing the transaction.

We've had an EZ-Pass for 6 years and I dread to think what will happen when the battery dies and we don't know it's dead.

I've been the victim of malfunctioning Indiana Toll Road E-ZPass equipment before.  What a pain in the ass.  The only reader at an entrance at US 131/IN 13 was not functioning so there was a guy handing out tickets (preprinted ones apparently for just such an occasion with a fake date).  Of course, exiting the highway at the Portage plaza, I tried to conceal the E-ZPass and pay, only to get dinged with an E-ZPass toll from the Ohio line as well.  Not helping was that it was a MassPike E-ZPass tag and the Indiana Toll Road people didn't care.  It only got sorted out when I disputed the credit card charge.

As far as battery life, I still have my Massachusetts tag despite no longer living there, because I got it when I did.  I exchanged it at the Sumner Tunnel Fast Lane (now E-ZPass) office in East Boston when it reached 10 years old and I happened to be in town, for free.  Keeping the Massachusetts one is advantageous; still no monthly fee.  But it is necessary to trade in every decade or so to keep from getting dinged for non-reads, especially in a rental car.

on: February 20, 2018, 11:23:05 PM 
Started by Brandon - Last post by PurdueBill
Caught by a red light camera? The same violation could get you a ticket in one suburb, but not another

“If a town is using this properly, it saves lives and it pays for itself,” said Fox Lake Police Chief Jimmy Lee.

Take note of those bolded words.  if it's really about safety, then it shouldn't matter how it's paid for.

Indeed, if it's being used properly, then violations would decrease to zero and lives would be saved but no $$$ coming into town coffers.  Clearly it's not about safety to the Chief but is all about $$$$$.

on: February 20, 2018, 11:13:49 PM 
Started by pdx-wanderer - Last post by cl94
Before ODOT district 2 came up with their goofy signs, along I-75, several years back, one of the more "notorious" milage signs was ODOT skipping a couple of states and directing folks along I-80, after Youngstown to New York City. 400 miles away.

Can't say I blame them. No cities of note along I-80 between Youngstown and the New York metro. Clarion? Hazleton? What are these places?

on: February 20, 2018, 10:49:26 PM 
Started by johndoe - Last post by lordsutch
I'm assuming all approaches are yield on entry, but not sure.  (No spiraling lane markings...will the outside lane of the arterial yield to circulating traffic?) It's a nice way to minimize bridge area, and it does give more space between the ramp intersections and the frontage roads. 

On this diagram if you zoom in you can make out the "shark teeth" for yield lines on each of the four entry locations:

http://www.3pvisual.com/projects/jeromeinterchange/images/19338_Public%20Meeting%20Exhibits-Overall%20Exhibit_8.5x11.pdf

Of course it's not very "British" - today Highways England probably build it as a dumbbell with the frontage roads entering each of the roundabouts, ensure it was built with the minimum capacity such that it would barely function as of the construction year (much less the design year), and probably figure out some way to throw in a few peak-time signals for the lulz. :)

Actually, that's not fair to HE. Central government would probably make the local council build it, who would ask a developer to pay for all of it in exchange for planning permission to build a new housing estate (subdivision) with an Ikea nearby, and they'd slap a signalized roundabout right in the I-15 mainline instead.

on: February 20, 2018, 10:46:59 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by jp the roadgeek
I'm just amazed at how much better signage gets when I cross the border from CT into MA or NY.  CT's remaining reflective button copy looks like something out of the 1960's with the non-painted backgrounds on US and state shields.  Where it is worn out, it is downright illegible at night.  While highway lighting is extensive in urban areas, reflectors in rural areas leave much to be desired. NY and MA signage is clean looking, very reflective, and legible (except for some areas of NYC).   Looking for a milepost on a highway whose signage hasn't been upgraded?  Good luck.  By contrast, NY and (especially) MA do a great job with mileposting their highway system, even on non-limited access highways.  And so many signage errors (CT 6 signs all over the place on I-84 in the Hartford area, CT 202 signage on a new sign replacement contract), and omissions of mentioning a duplex in places (no mention of US 6 on I-84 in the Hartford area on BGS's either on the highway itself or on entrances or exits from another highway).  By contrast, MA and New York do a great job of signing duplexes. 

on: February 20, 2018, 10:35:41 PM 
Started by ZLoth - Last post by J N Winkler
You see, my big concern is that a small charge can leads to big penalties and even bigger consequences - yet many people report not getting original bill, and things fall apart from there. There is same tune regarding E-470 in Denver, for example - first bill to show up is the one already with penalties. After a Florida trip, I got a trickle of toll charges for rental car coming in for 3 months - and fortunately my credit card expiration date was 5 months after the trip. I got 7 EZpass charges on IL Tollway for the round-trip last year, and I still don't know if 8th is still lingering somewhere or gantry in road work zone was deactivated.

My feeling is that toll agencies still can do a bit more in order to get those acting in good faith to actually pay the bill without going bankrupt over charges. Are they willing to? Seemingly not...

I have often suggested that there should be a tollpayer's bill of rights to curb abuses such as hoarding license plate video until data for a fresh state comes online and then hitting cars registered in that state with toll plus violation charges plus interest (toll agencies in Texas have reportedly done this); sending a violation notice in the first instance; failing to process tolls promptly; etc.  One key provision of such a tollpayer's bill of rights is unpaid tolls, and any violations arising therefrom, aging out of collectability when the agency fails to make reasonable efforts to collect.  (This is similar in concept to statutes of limitation, or the doctrine of laches in equity law.)

In the meantime, my personal policy is not to use a pay-by-plate toll facility at all without establishing in advance that I can settle the toll online, preferably by setting up a time window in the future during which I authorize my credit card to accept toll charges incurred by a vehicle with my license plate number.  This is how I paid toll on the Golden Gate Bridge in 2014 (it is still the only pay-by-plate facility I have used).

Before K-Tag became interoperable with the Texas toll agencies, I investigated the possibility of using NTTA toll roads on a pay-by-plate basis (NTTA calls its pay-by-plate program ZipCash) as part of a journey to San Antonio.  When I discovered that billing is in arrears only, I immediately rejected it as an option and avoided NTTA facilities altogether.

Because toll agencies have the ability to hoard video whether they choose to do so or not, I do not try to game pay-by-plate by using the facility and hoping the agency won't be able to access my license plate data.  And if I am a regular user of a particular toll facility, I prefer to have a transponder so that a transponder read rather than license plate imaging is the primary point of reference for billing.  It reduces the likelihood that I will be slapped with a violation fine for not paying because the plate design was misread and the first bill went to someone with the same plate number in another state or in the same state but on a different base (Kansas, for example, repeats license plate numbers across multiple bases, which I think is stupid).  It ensures that the toll will be paid automatically and my account will be kept in good order through auto-replenishment.  It also creates an audit trail that is available almost immediately; in contrast, many pay-by-plate programs do not share the license plate imagery with the customer at all.

on: February 20, 2018, 10:33:39 PM 
Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek - Last post by jp the roadgeek
I wouldn't have spent $600 million on a busway that 10 people use, diverted millions of transportation budgeted funds into the general fund for other pork programs, and then cry that we're out of transportation money and need to implement tolls as a hidden tax on the people.  I'd also cut back on administrative costs in our transportation system that are five times the national average per road mile.  Too many people that get paid handsome 6-figure salaries to be a pencil pusher, a seldom used consultant, or just sit at a construction site 10 hours a day.   I would add a few more 65 MPH zones: I-84 between Waterbury and West Hartford (except for the CT 72 interchange), US 7 north of I-84, CT 8 between the 8-25 split and Naugatuck (except over the Commodore Hull Bridge), and CT 25 north of the split.  And lastly, I would cut down on the number of EIS's a road project needs. 

on: February 20, 2018, 10:31:10 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by MNHighwayMan
I'm not gonna try to claim that Georgia's signage is great or anything, but I admit surprise at seeing it consistently showing up around the likes of Oklahoma and New Mexico in here. Not all of our signs are APLs.

It's so good that you get a free state route with every US Route!

on: February 20, 2018, 10:24:43 PM 
Started by Bruce - Last post by MisterSG1
Since the US didn’t make it, I’m sure most here would rather say back to you “Who gives a shit?”

At least Ghana can't kick us out again.

Now you’ll get to see how we feel, we’ve only been to the World Cup once, in 1986. I always used to watch the USMNT games in the World Cup, but with them gone I don’t have any interest in watching at all.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.