AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
 on: Today at 04:39:05 AM 
Started by tribar - Last post by MNHighwayMan
That's the first freight railroad crossing I've ever seen where the train does not automatically have the right-of-way.

on: Today at 04:03:09 AM 
Started by mrpablue - Last post by jp the roadgeek
I guess for New York 171 it depends if the definition here permits numbered county routes.  It crosses but does not intersect with New York 5S.

Add NJ 152 to that.  It connects to a pair of 600 series county routes, but no state routes.

on: Today at 03:57:56 AM 
Started by Beltway - Last post by sparker
I-280, 680, and especially 880 comprise the vast majority of my regular Interstate travel (I'll be on 880 again tomorrow San Jose-Oakland for business); will use one or more of these pretty much week in, week out.  When I need to deal with business partners in the Sacramento area (actually Folsom); I'll add I-580, I-205, and I-5 to the mix -- and perhaps I-80 on the return trip (depends upon the time of day that occurs).  Two US highways figure into travel as well: 101 and 50 (when in Sacramento area).  Local state highways that get a lot of use are 87 (closest to my home and office), 85, 17, and, to a lesser extent these days, 237 and 82; en route to Sacramento, CA 99 and 120 are useful as well.  And visiting friends down in Hollister invariably put me on the P.O.S. CA 25 every couple of weeks (although if the state gas tax hike enacted last year doesn't get terminated at the polls in November, a new US 101/CA 25 interchange to replace the current underpowered one would likely see development by no later than 2021). 

on: Today at 02:40:27 AM 
Started by jbnv - Last post by oscar
Fontanero St. => Orange Blossom Trail (Plymouth FL):

on: Today at 12:56:47 AM 
Started by Alps - Last post by mrpablue
What is this? (sorry I'm new)

on: Today at 12:55:53 AM 
Started by mass_citizen - Last post by US 89
Salt Lake City, UT:

snipped image

I’ve never seen anything like this “600 Feet” before.
I have seen lead warnings in hundreds of feet, but not with the yellow background like that.

Here’s a similar sign just across the highway from the first one:

on: Today at 12:29:01 AM 
Started by getemngo - Last post by mrpablue
I know blawp and Ethanman are banished, but I figured the only one with a permanent ban was V'ger.
I've wondered what happened to V'ger. He seemed to be fairly active back in the day and his contributions seemed valid and helpful.

(Sorry to bump 3.5 years - although I've bumped a thread 9 years by mistake. Is that a newbie thing I should stop doing?)

on: Today at 12:26:51 AM 
Started by Pink Jazz - Last post by Flint1979
I've always heard the term "department store" used to refer to outlets that sell apparel -- clothing and accessories -- and possibly appliances. Sears, Penney, former local stores such as McAlpin's and Shillito's, and the like would qualify. We have a local store with two locations that's called Rose Brothers Department Store (frequently informally referred to as Rose Bargain Store). They sell clothing, shoes, a few knick-knack items and possibly cologne/perfume.

I've never considered stores like Walmart, Kmart, Target, Meijer and the like to be "department stores" even though they have more departments than the classic department stores do.

Of course department stores got their name from how they evolved.  You could go to one store to buy a dress, hat and shoes, in different "departments" of the store.  Rather than having to go to 3 different establishments.  The downside was that you bought what they had, rather than having something made or altered for you specifically.

My sense of a department store is one that has cash registers in the various departments*, rather than a checkout area at the exit doors.  Thus Macy's, Sears and Penney are department stores; Target and K-Mart are not.  At least in my mind.

* And I can recall that you were expected to pay for your purchases in the department where you found them.  Heaven help you if you took an item from the men's section to a cash register in women's.  They'd probably let you pay, but they weren't able to verify prices or sales items.  And you took returns to the area where you bought them as well, rather than to a central returns desk in the store.

Our nearest Kohl's has two sets of checkout lanes at the exits.

I would still put Kohl's more on the traditional department store side (Sears/Penneys/Macy's) even with the registers and stand alone stores in strip malls.  Besides the definitions above, I still look at it like "would this make sense being the anchor of a mall, with direct access and often multiple floors", which traditionally here in NJ at least would be those stores and not a Walmart, Kmart or a Target (but also not a Kohl's).  That of course is not a good definition and is simply based on the historical anchors of malls which will probably change drastically in the future.
Kohl's is an (original) anchor in the 1999-built RiverTown Crossings in Grandville, MI. There were many small town malls that had Kmart as an anchor.
Hampton Towne Centre in Essexville had a Kmart as an anchor.

on: Today at 12:13:15 AM 
Started by tribar - Last post by freebrickproductions
Denver, CO is always a great town to find old &/or strange traffic lights. 

One thing I caught over the weekend is that on some of the freight rail lines not too far from Downtown, even the trains have their own traffic signals at some street crossings:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7200409,-105.0116287,3a,15y,357.61h,87.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTf_b17wN6N-3yu1JVEng_g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Look just to the right of the curve sign and zoom in.  It is a 4-segment, double-red-head signal that is linked with the signalized crossings that do NOT have the traditional red light flashers nor crossing gates for vehicular traffic.

If you follow the rail line to near the other main streets in the aforementioned area, you may catch a glimpse of some more of these 4-segment rail signals.  I only searched for this one since I knew you could see it on GSV.
They also have some for a long abandoned spur there:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7209111,-105.0116357,3a,75y,13.81h,78.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYCJhQxC_E5PzanKoFiWmbQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7209117,-105.0117001,3a,63.7y,132.88h,74.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skkgMZOMbDdjNsnjBqVNVlg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Ain't the first time I've seen this signals either...

on: Today at 12:06:04 AM 
Started by mass_citizen - Last post by kkt
This is on Washington State 542 on the way to a ski area near Mt. Baker.  Seriously, who drives out to the mountains without a map hoping there might be a mountain pass? 

I can answer that.  Prison escapees from California who tried to get in to Canada at Peace Arch in the middle of the night and were refused entry at the border, then blew through the US entry side of the border crossing without stopping, and were driving flat out to escape the squadron of following Border Patrol and Washington State Patrol vehicles.  They turned up Route 542 hoping it would take them across a mountain pass, or at least to a spread out rural area where they could hide, because most state highways in California that go up into the mountains as far as a ski area continue through, but it dead ended.  My mom was on the jury for the case in the early 1990s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.