AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 05:36:04 AM 
Started by austrini - Last post by txstateends
2 different incidents involving separating pavement on I-35E in Carrollton in the last week.  One was between Crosby and Belt Line, the other south of the Whitlock-Sandy Lake exit.  Both are NB in the area that was redone in the last year or so between I-635 and Denton.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Surface-of-I-35E-in-Carrollton-Separating-Several-Crashes-Reported-497753201.html

on: Today at 05:11:04 AM 
Started by mgk920 - Last post by peterj920
As a frequent I-41 driver between Green Bay and Appleton, the biggest problem by far is people hogging the left lane.  It’s either older people who don’t care that they’re slowing traffic or younger people using their phones and not knowing that they’re driving slower and holding up traffic.  There’s days I pass more on the right than the left.

The state patrol should emphasize enforcement in ticketing drivers who stay in the left lane without attempting to pass and camp out in that lane.  That would help cut down on the root of the problem with I-41.  The speed limit isn’t an issue at all.

on: Today at 04:27:00 AM 
Started by The Nature Boy - Last post by ghYHZ
Oodles of Canadian domestic flights regularly overfly the northern half of Wisconsin and Da YooPee of Michigan...........

Mike

Speaking of airline routes across the UP……in the late 1940’s the Canadian Government contributed funding to establish airports and radio range stations at Kinross, Grand Marais and Houghton in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.

Some background……Trans-Canada Air Lines’ (now Air Canada) original transcontinental route from Toronto to Winnipeg and onto Vancouver was north of Lake Superior through Kapuskasing and Armstrong, Ontario. In 1947 this airway was realigned to provide a shorter route from Manitoulin Island, Ontario to Port Arthur-Fort William (today’s Thunder Bay). Canada’s Department of Transport required airports at approximately 100 mile intervals along the airway in case of an emergency landing……so the need to establish the airports across Michigan and the Canadian Government funding contribution.

Trans-Canada Air Lines actually managed the airport at Kinross, Michigan until the USAF took over and TCA became the tenant. Sault Ste Marie, Ontario was served from Kinross, MI until the new airport opened on the Canadian side in 1961. Until then, Canadian passengers were carried “In Bond” across the border by bus and not required to clear US Customs (can you imagine that happening today!)

on: Today at 04:10:37 AM 
Started by ET21 - Last post by jakeroot
Deleting all posts has not worked for me. I tried doing that in several of the 1-2-3 threads, and the North Carolina thread (no offence NC), but they still show up in the new reply section. I'd rather they only appeared in the unread posts section.

on: Today at 02:50:49 AM 
Started by Alps - Last post by Alps
I am thus far severely dismayed at there being only one photo in this thread—which wasn't even taken by you.

GIVE ME EYE CANDY!
You can wait until Halloween. I've posted a handful of photos to Facebook but I am still on vacation and choose to spend my time how I wish instead of serving others. :)

on: Today at 02:30:12 AM 
Started by Max Rockatansky - Last post by sparker
It is interesting to me how US 6 was eliminated south of Bishop. Yes, 6 is primarily an east-west highway, but from a simplicity point of view, isn't "6" an easier (fewer syllables) number to remember than "395"? In hindsight, I wonder if anyone thought about having 6 extend to LA and terminating 395 in Bishop? I don't think it would be a challenge to post "north" and "south" 6. If that had happened, then perhaps US 395 south of Inyokern could have been called SR 295 or something comparable.

With all that said, 395 is the Eastern Sierra route, and perhaps that is why it was retained over 6.

Personally I don't think the multiplex was that inordinate considering the major destinations US 6 had on it's trek the Los Angeles Area.  I know the goal was to eliminate as many long multiplexes as possible but having US 6 end in the Los Angeles Area made more sense than a randomly drawn from the hat designation of CA 14. 

Seeing as how west of Denver US 6 assiduously avoided major metro areas, it was possible that when the route was extended west from that point -- mostly on multiplexes after it merged with US 24 near Minturn, CO -- that the original goal was somewhere in Central California -- Fresno (then an oversized farm town) or perhaps over to US 101 on the Central Coast -- utilizing the CA 168 alignment west of Bishop and surmounting Kaiser Pass as originally planned for that route (LRN 76).  Reality (as in the feasibility -- or lack thereof -- of such an alignment) set in, and wanting to get the G.A.R. route to the Pacific Coast, multiplexing southward with US 395 and then subsuming much of the remainder of SSR 7 through Mojave and Palmdale was essentially a "consolation" routing.  Of course, once in the L.A. metro area (which happened after the final surface routings of US 101, US 66, US 99, and the other major routes entering the area had been established) it pretty much had to pass through the corner of Figueroa and Sunset -- the functional "crossroads" of L.A. in pre-freeway times; taking it down to Long Beach was simply to provide the "coastal experience" for the G.A.R. corridor promoters.     

Nevertheless, it's interesting to speculate that if Kaiser Pass or a similar cross-Sierra routing would have been deemed "doable" in the mid-30's, US 6 may have ended up in Morro Bay, Monterey, or Watsonville -- all more in line with its basic trajectory than its eventual southward "dip" into greater L.A. 

on: Today at 01:38:11 AM 
Started by dvferyance - Last post by Interstatefan78
For NJ Interstate highways that can go 75-80 mph are I-78 NJ PA Border to Bergen Street Overpass Newark, NJ 56 miles Eastbound but 54 miles westbound since at mp 2 I-78 west is 55 mph towards Easton,PA toll plaza where the PA 65-70 mph speed limit starts after exit 75
I-287 Morristown area
I-95 NJ Turnpike
I-295 Camden to Delaware Border
Atlantic City Expressway
https://www.nj.com/data/2018/08/should_the_speed_limit_on_njs_highways_be_higher_we_used_a_radar_gun_to_find_the_answer.html
Other interstate grade freeways such as RT-18 Exit 30 US-9 to RT-138 I-195  can go 75 mph provided that Declan'O Scanlon can get his engineering speed limit bill proposal to be a
approved by the Legislature
https://www.senatenj.com/index.php/oscanlon/oscanlon-introduces-fact-based-speed-limit-bill/39427

on: Today at 01:19:17 AM 
Started by getemngo - Last post by kevinb1994
Is there anything on Sunday the 11th or is this just a Saturday only meet?
This meet will be a Saturday only meet AFAIK.

on: Today at 01:13:12 AM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by Tonytone
People used to turn their lights off then on at night if you noticed a speed trap on the other side of the highway to warn oncoming cars. Don't see that anymore.
I still do it, 95% Of people think you are just telling them their lights are off.

on: Today at 01:01:42 AM 
Started by mgk920 - Last post by MantyMadTown
Would be odd going 70 in an urban area going to 55 in a rural area.  Opposite of what is expected.

I think they would slow it down in Green Bay too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.