News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

^ They actually got it funded between 540 and Wake Forest?  Got a source for that?

LM117

Quote from: froggie on February 13, 2018, 09:52:59 AM
^ They actually got it funded between 540 and Wake Forest?  Got a source for that?

Unless I'm looking at it wrong, there certainly appears to be some funding directed towards it. Go to page 290. Project U-5307.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/STIPDocuments1/2018-2027%20STIP%20-%20Divisions%201-7.pdf
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

mvak36

Quote from: LM117 on February 13, 2018, 10:55:24 AM

Unless I'm looking at it wrong, there certainly appears to be some funding directed towards it. Go to page 290. Project U-5307.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/STIPDocuments1/2018-2027%20STIP%20-%20Divisions%201-7.pdf

I think you're right. I'm not sure what the U stands for in those tables (unfunded??), but there is funding listed for Right-of-way and Construction.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Mapmikey

U stands for Utilities

bob7374

Quote from: mvak36 on February 13, 2018, 11:07:31 AM

I think you're right. I'm not sure what the U stands for in those tables (unfunded??), but there is funding listed for Right-of-way and Construction.
NCDOT has letter codes for statewide highway contract identification numbers based on project type:
B-Bridge
I-Interstate
R-Rural
U-Urban

Less common are K for Roadside Environmental projects, such as Rest Areas, FS-Feasibility Studies, and S-
Scenic Route projects. The coding structure and what is funded and unfunded is best explained through looking at the STIP document:
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Pages/State-Transportation-Improvement-Program.aspx

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: bob7374 on February 13, 2018, 11:36:19 AM
Quote from: mvak36 on February 13, 2018, 11:07:31 AM

NCDOT has letter codes for statewide highway contract identification numbers based on project type:
B-Bridge
I-Interstate
R-Rural
U-Urban

Less common are K for Roadside Environmental projects, such as Rest Areas, FS-Feasibility Studies, and S-
Scenic Route projects. The coding structure and what is funded and unfunded is best explained through looking at the STIP document:
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Pages/State-Transportation-Improvement-Program.aspx

There's a legend/key at the beginning of the STIP. As stated, the "U" in the project number is for "Urban", and the "U" in the funding/schedule table is for utilities. I think "W" or "WS" is for safety improvement projects.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: LM117 on February 13, 2018, 07:52:23 AM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on February 12, 2018, 09:24:35 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on February 12, 2018, 09:06:49 PM
They also forgot the future interstate designation for US 74 from I-26 at Columbus to I-85 at Kings Mountain.  Was that supposed to be 885 or 226?  Or has that one even been approved by the feds yet, or given a number?

Surprisingly NCDOT hasn't applied the corridor to AASHTO for a future interstate designation yet. However, when this does inevitably happen, it will likely be an I-x26.

I agree. They're probably waiting until the Shelby Bypass is complete.

There's also an unfunded project separate from the Shelby Bypass to create a grade separation in Mooresboro (R-4045) that will ultimately hold up a future Interstate designation (I would assume).

I think this was already mentioned previously, but the entire stretch of existing freeway from Columbus to Kings Mountain will have to be upgraded to Interstate standards. Upgrading the section from I-26 to Mooresboro was estimated at a cool $77 million for STI P4.0. It was not funded, to no one's surprise. It's hard to justify that cost for a highway with less than 20,000 vehicles per day.

ARMOURERERIC

There is still an at grade intersection East of Ellensboro on US 74.

Beltway

Historic Blue Ridge Parkway Viaduct to Close for Repairs
February 14, 2018
https://www.enr.com/articles/44003-historic-blue-ridge-parkway-viaduct-to-close-for-repairs

The Linn Cove Viaduct, one of the most iconic structures of the Blue Ridge Parkway, is set to undergo its first major repaving and maintenance work in more than 30 years.  Located 80 miles northeast of Asheville, N.C., at an elevation of approximately 4,300 ft, the S-curved 1,243-ft-long segmented bridge was the final section of the scenic 469-mile highway that was begun in 1935 as a Civilian Conservation Corps project.  Local and state opposition to a proposal that would have required major cuts and fills on Grand­father Mountain led the National Park Service to route the parkway segment along rugged mountain slopes, including rocky Linn Cove. Comprised of 153 50-ton concrete segments and seven piers, the viaduct was completed in 1983 at a cost of nearly $10 million, according to the National Park Service.  The viaduct is part of a seven-mile segment that will be closed for three months of maintenance on March 1.  The $1.9-million project, to be performed by Bryant Land Development, Burnsville, N.C., will include new pavement, replacement of waterproofing membrane and bridge joints, and repairs to the substructure, railing and drainage system.

Photos of viaduct -- https://tinyurl.com/y8q5usvn
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

TimQuiQui

Pretty big news this morning as FWHA has formally approved the signing of 285

QuoteLexington - North Carolina is getting a new interstate, Governor Roy Cooper announced Thursday. The Federal Highway Administration has approved Interstate 285 for the 23-mile stretch of U.S. 52 between I-40 in Winston-Salem and I-85 in Lexington.

"This new interstate is great news for the Triad region and all of North Carolina,"  Gov. Cooper said. "Interstates serve as a catalyst for economic growth and make it easier for people and goods to get where they need to go."

N.C. Department of Transportation officials made the request to upgrade the highway to regular interstate status in September 2017 after completing a pavement and interchange project that brought that stretch of U.S. 52 up to interstate standards. Drivers should see the new interstate signs going up later this year.

"We have increased safety with new designs and upgrades, with the goal of spurring efficiency and future economic development,"  said NCDOT Secretary Jim Trogdon. "The interstate shield is a highly prized designation for new businesses."

Making the highway an interstate has been in the plans for more than a decade, as "Future Interstate 285 Corridor" signs have been up along the route since 2006

"Upgrading the highway to an interstate has been a long-time goal of the Davidson County Commissioners, the City of Lexington, and the Winston-Salem and High Point Metropolitan Planning Organizations,"  said NCDOT Division 9 Board of Transportation Member Michael Wells.

As part of the long-range strategic plan to bring improved mobility to the state, North Carolina has added several interstate designations in recent years, including I-87/Future I-87 (Raleigh to Norfolk), Future I-42 (Raleigh to Morehead City) and I-140 (in Brunswick and New Hanover counties).

bob7374

Quote from: TimQuiQui on February 15, 2018, 11:08:09 AM

QuoteLexington - North Carolina is getting a new interstate, Governor Roy Cooper announced Thursday. The Federal Highway Administration has approved Interstate 285 for the 23-mile stretch of U.S. 52 between I-40 in Winston-Salem and I-85 in Lexington.

"This new interstate is great news for the Triad region and all of North Carolina,"  Gov. Cooper said. "Interstates serve as a catalyst for economic growth and make it easier for people and goods to get where they need to go."

N.C. Department of Transportation officials made the request to upgrade the highway to regular interstate status in September 2017 after completing a pavement and interchange project that brought that stretch of U.S. 52 up to interstate standards. Drivers should see the new interstate signs going up later this year.

"We have increased safety with new designs and upgrades, with the goal of spurring efficiency and future economic development,"  said NCDOT Secretary Jim Trogdon. "The interstate shield is a highly prized designation for new businesses."

Making the highway an interstate has been in the plans for more than a decade, as "Future Interstate 285 Corridor" signs have been up along the route since 2006

"Upgrading the highway to an interstate has been a long-time goal of the Davidson County Commissioners, the City of Lexington, and the Winston-Salem and High Point Metropolitan Planning Organizations,"  said NCDOT Division 9 Board of Transportation Member Michael Wells.

As part of the long-range strategic plan to bring improved mobility to the state, North Carolina has added several interstate designations in recent years, including I-87/Future I-87 (Raleigh to Norfolk), Future I-42 (Raleigh to Morehead City) and I-140 (in Brunswick and New Hanover counties).
The link to the press release: https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14850

Guess the next step would to get an I-285 application sent for the Spring AASHTO USRN Committee meeting, if they want to be able to sign it by the summer or fall.

Strider

Quote from: bob7374 on February 15, 2018, 12:06:43 PM

The link to the press release: https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14850

Guess the next step would to get an I-285 application sent for the Spring AASHTO USRN Committee meeting, if they want to be able to sign it by the summer or fall.

About time! The "Future I-285" signage has been around too long. Now, the most important question is this: What will happen to the original Green 85 now that I-285 will be signed between I-85 and the Green 85/US 29/70/52 Split, following US 52 north to Winston-Salem, due to the fact that Greensboro is removing their Green 85.

Interstate 69 Fan

They approved the designation in the app.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

WashuOtaku

AASHTO already approved it years ago, they were the one that gave the recommendation of I-285 after disapproving I-185.  FWHA was the final blessing needed.  What we are now waiting is for NCDOT do their internal processes and sign the freeway, making it official.

bob7374

Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 15, 2018, 10:53:47 PM

AASHTO already approved it years ago, they were the one that gave the recommendation of I-285 after disapproving I-185.  FWHA was the final blessing needed.  What we are now waiting is for NCDOT do their internal processes and sign the freeway, making it official.
Perhaps, though the NCDOT Route Changes page only lists an application in 2005 for Future I-285. AASHTO's website is no help since they recently took down all the links to past applications and replaced it with a simple Excel list of their decisions (and it only lists the establishment of I-295 for 2005).

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on February 15, 2018, 11:49:49 PM

Perhaps, though the NCDOT Route Changes page only lists an application in 2005 for Future I-285. AASHTO's website is no help since they recently took down all the links to past applications and replaced it with a simple Excel list of their decisions (and it only lists the establishment of I-295 for 2005).

NCDOT never submitted an application to AASHTO for permission to sign the US-64 Knightdale Bypass as I-87, but only Future I-87. FHWA later approved adding the Knightdale Bypass to the Interstate system as I-87 and NCDOT signed it as such without going through AASHTO again.

This appears to be the same case with I-285.

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on February 16, 2018, 06:04:48 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on February 15, 2018, 11:49:49 PM

NCDOT never submitted an application to AASHTO for permission to sign the US-64 Knightdale Bypass as I-87, but only Future I-87. FHWA later approved adding the Knightdale Bypass to the Interstate system as I-87 and NCDOT signed it as such without going through AASHTO again.

This appears to be the same case with I-285.
It's clear that AASHTO has the authority to decide whether a route can be added to the Interstate system, and it's clear that FHWA has the authority to decide whether the route has been improved sufficiently to be signed as an Interstate highway. It's not clear to me why AASHTO would have anything to say about that: they have much less information than FHWA does about improvements to the road.

Mapmikey

What is your source for this assertion?  The 2003 rejection of I-185 (and I-195 in Fayetteville) do not mention numbering as an issue, see https://web.archive.org/web/20160304042312/http://route.transportation.org/Documents/2003-USRN_Cmte.pdf

The FHWA approval for I-285 came in 2005 and it acknowledges North Carolina's selection of I-285 with no mention that this number was dictated from elsewhere...
https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2005_06_16.pdf

edited to add link to I-285 document and to clarify what I am asking about

froggie

Quote from: wdcrft63It's clear that AASHTO has the authority to decide whether a route can be added to the Interstate system, and it's clear that FHWA has the authority to decide whether the route has been improved sufficiently to be signed as an Interstate highway. It's not clear to me why AASHTO would have anything to say about that: they have much less information than FHWA does about improvements to the road.

Actually, FHWA has the authority in both cases.  AASHTO's responsibility regarding Interstate routes is limited to the numbering (also subject to FHWA concurrence).

ssummers72

The FHWA has the authority to add/withdrawal Interstate Segments according to federal law, see link below:

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/interstate_highway_system/

AASHTO's roll is to approve or concur with the number itself. They can make changes according to the Interstate Route Numbering Procedures unless, it has been written into Federal Law i.e. (I-69E,C and W) etc. These cannot be superseded unless the law is changed. So, the states cannot request a new number for that route until the federal law is changed.

See document I-5m for the AASHTO procedures from the link below:

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Teppl/Pages/Teppl-Topic-Original.aspx?Topic_List=I05

Thank You

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 16, 2018, 08:46:11 PM

What is your source for this assertion?  The 2003 rejection of I-185 (and I-195 in Fayetteville) do not mention numbering as an issue, see https://web.archive.org/web/20160304042312/http://route.transportation.org/Documents/2003-USRN_Cmte.pdf

The FHWA approval for I-285 came in 2005 and it acknowledges North Carolina's selection of I-285 with no mention that this number was dictated from elsewhere...
https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2005_06_16.pdf

edited to add link to I-285 document and to clarify what I am asking about

The 2003 request is specifically a rejection of the numbering chosen by the state, that is what AASHTO does. Sadly, they do not go into any detail in their decision on the summary.

Also, Wikipedia has kept a majority of all the AASHTO reports here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_U.S._Roads/Resources/AASHTO_minutes

LM117

Jacksonville is wanting a piece of the interstate pie, but they don't know which slice they want.

http://www.jdnews.com/news/20180218/jacksonville-could-see-interstate-access-soon

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on February 23, 2018, 12:23:50 PM
Jacksonville is wanting a piece of the interstate pie, but they don't know which slice they want.

http://www.jdnews.com/news/20180218/jacksonville-could-see-interstate-access-soon

There should be an competiton between North Carolina and Texas for most interstates.. smh. But I can understand why Jacksonville deserves a interstate connection.... it is probably another I-40 connector.

index

Quote from: LM117 on February 23, 2018, 12:23:50 PM

I could definitely see an I-42 extension to Jacksonville. An auxiliary of I-42 to Jacksonville (probably I-142) would also be neat, I don't think NC has any I-1xx's besides 140. Of course this isn't possible until I-42 is actually done, which is probably why they're not considering it. Why wait for a whole 2DI to be done? In my head... I messed up my thoughts on the geography of the area and came up with that.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

BrianP

I couldn't figure out why they didn't mention I-42.  All but two of the routes mentioned would be a I-42 3di.  The state is committed enough to I-42 to bank on it. 

If one of the I-42 routes were chosen could Jacksonville steal I-42 since it's more than twice as big as New Bern?  I doubt it since the point of I-42 seems to be to reach Cherry Point and the port of Beaufort.  But I thought it would be fun to ask. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.