News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: AMLNet49 on December 23, 2017, 09:14:48 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on December 23, 2017, 06:23:24 PM
The next MassDOT District up for Retroreflective Sign Replacement is 3, west of Boston to be let Jan. 17. The Sign Action Plan and Sign Drawings and Details are available at the bidding page at: https://www.commbuys.com/bso/external/bidDetail.sdo?docId=BD-18-1030-0H100-0H002-19846&external=true&parentUrl=bid
The most interesting find so far in the Action Plan is that they list a County Route 27 marker at MA 27 NB mile marker 62.3 that is due to be replaced (p. 58) with a North directional banner and a MA 27 shield (so those who haven't gotten photos, your time is running out).

Meanwhile the District 6 contract, Boston and surrounding suburbs, letting was postponed 2 weeks until Jan. 24. That page does not have sign related files posted at this time. I'll post any links should they appear.
Never heard of this

bob7374

MassDOT has a new URL for its Project Information website:
https://www.mass.gov/service-details/massdot-project-info

Though the website address is new, the listings are still the same, meaning many have not been updated recently. The I-90 sign replacement contracts, for example, the project information for the work between Exits 1 and 10, has not been revised since the summer, still listing the contract as 36% complete when actually more than 75% of the new signage has been put up. Hopefully, the new address will come with a better effort to keep the information available to the public as up to date as possible.

J N Winkler

Quote from: bob7374 on December 23, 2017, 06:23:24 PMMeanwhile the District 6 contract, Boston and surrounding suburbs, letting was postponed 2 weeks until Jan. 24. That page does not have sign related files posted at this time. I'll post any links should they appear.

I think you might as well quit watching.  The proposal cover page for the District 6 job (607496) has "PLANS:  YES."  In comparison, the proposal cover page for the District 2 job (608555), which does have sign panel details in the proposal book, has "PLANS:  NO."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 26, 2017, 01:15:06 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on December 23, 2017, 06:23:24 PMMeanwhile the District 6 contract, Boston and surrounding suburbs, letting was postponed 2 weeks until Jan. 24. That page does not have sign related files posted at this time. I'll post any links should they appear.

I think you might as well quit watching.  The proposal cover page for the District 6 job (607496) has "PLANS:  YES."  In comparison, the proposal cover page for the District 2 job (608555), which does have sign panel details in the proposal book, has "PLANS:  NO."
The District 6 retroreflective sign project was done by a different designer than the other projects were.  They chose to provide the information on plan sheets instead of in the proposal book.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Found this video on Facebook covering the original construction of the Mass Pike (I-90) circa 1957.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

They also did similar films regarding the construction of the Turnpike Extension and the Callahan Tunnel.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jstc15

Quote from: Alps on December 23, 2017, 11:41:19 PM
Quote from: AMLNet49 on December 23, 2017, 09:14:48 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on December 23, 2017, 06:23:24 PM
The next MassDOT District up for Retroreflective Sign Replacement is 3, west of Boston to be let Jan. 17. The Sign Action Plan and Sign Drawings and Details are available at the bidding page at: https://www.commbuys.com/bso/external/bidDetail.sdo?docId=BD-18-1030-0H100-0H002-19846&external=true&parentUrl=bid
The most interesting find so far in the Action Plan is that they list a County Route 27 marker at MA 27 NB mile marker 62.3 that is due to be replaced (p. 58) with a North directional banner and a MA 27 shield (so those who haven't gotten photos, your time is running out).

Meanwhile the District 6 contract, Boston and surrounding suburbs, letting was postponed 2 weeks until Jan. 24. That page does not have sign related files posted at this time. I'll post any links should they appear.
Never heard of this

Driven past this sign many, many times and always wondered how/why it was never changed.

https://goo.gl/maps/rZ4hAcFF9iv

KEVIN_224

Odd question...Was the expressway portion MA Route 57 planned to go further west from where it presently ends in Agawam? It sure looks like it in this Google Street View image:

https://goo.gl/maps/2h2x1ZwTW2t

jp the roadgeek

Check out page 14 of this PDF.  It mentions an extension of the expressway to the Agawam-Southwick town line.  Personally, I'd rather see it extended to MA 10/US 202 in Southwick to align with MA 57 West.  MA 147 could just be extended over the existing Route 57 east of 10/202.

http://www.pvpc.org/sites/default/files/agaw_fh_safety.pdf
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Beeper1

I believe the plan was for it to narrow down to a super-2 once it was west of the current end of the expressway at MA-187, and then meet up with the existing road at the top of the ridge at the Agawam-Southwick line.  I think it was supposed to just transition directly into the current road into Southwick, with the old routing being either cut-off or being redirected to end at a T intersection with the new alignment.   

Not sure how far into design that section got before the plug was pulled on the extension. I know the state bought some land and did a ton of surveying along the sharp curve where 57 crosses the town line. 

RobbieL2415

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 09, 2018, 06:42:43 PM
Odd question...Was the expressway portion MA Route 57 planned to go further west from where it presently ends in Agawam? It sure looks like it in this Google Street View image:

Yes.  The stub is considered "active" should traffic conditions warrant an extension to Southwick.

kefkafloyd

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 09, 2018, 06:42:43 PM

Yes. In the Southwick Public Library, the records of the plans for phase II of the MA 57 expressway in the mid-90s are there for reading fun. The four lane expressway would have continued past South West Street, and would have transitioned into Feeding Hills Road east of the intersection of Foster Street. None of the routes proposed in the EIS went to actual design AFAIK, they were just route proposals and the potential environmental impacts they would require.

However, at this point if the road was going to be extended today they would have to do a new design and it would probably be up in the air as to what they would do. The last real push for Phase II was in the mid-aughts (around 2005-2006), and my recollection of the news articles was that the Romney admin didn't care and wouldn't help get it going.

RobbieL2415

Is US 6 in Provincetown owned by NPS? They have their signs up all along the northern end of the highway.

CapeCodder

Is there a reason that's preventing MASSDOT or whoever maintains MA 80 from extending it either to the Commerce Way exit or along the old US 44 alignment? It's a hanging end as of right now. Why is 80 even in existence? I wonder if it was brought about in a similar fashion that MA 36 was: political connections?

Beeper1

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 29, 2018, 11:34:26 PM
Is US 6 in Provincetown owned by NPS? They have their signs up all along the northern end of the highway.

The last 1/2 mile or so of it, from the "Entering the Province Lands" sign to the end at the intersection near Herring Cove Beach, are owned by the NPS.   They also own the stretch of 6A from just north of where it turns off the end of Bradford Street to Herring Cove. 

The rest of the US-6 highway within the Provincetown town limits was transferred from state to town ownership about 5 years ago at the request of the town.  Not sure what their reasoning is. 

Alps

Quote from: CapeCodder on January 30, 2018, 12:54:49 PM
Is there a reason that's preventing MASSDOT or whoever maintains MA 80 from extending it either to the Commerce Way exit or along the old US 44 alignment? It's a hanging end as of right now. Why is 80 even in existence? I wonder if it was brought about in a similar fashion that MA 36 was: political connections?
Extending along old 44 would make some sense, but MA 80 is not about being a through route. I heard once that it was created to serve the light industrial development in that area. It also ends up being a backdoor to Kingston, which makes more sense in a pre-3 freeway era.

bob7374

Quote from: Alps on January 30, 2018, 09:21:36 PM
Quote from: CapeCodder on January 30, 2018, 12:54:49 PM
Extending along old 44 would make some sense, but MA 80 is not about being a through route. I heard once that it was created to serve the light industrial development in that area. It also ends up being a backdoor to Kingston, which makes more sense in a pre-3 freeway era.
I would do 2 things, first extend it along old US 44 to MA 3. Second, re-banner it as a north-south highway. In its current east-west configuration, you start off heading west in Plymouth, then north then finally east to its end in at MA 3A in Kingston. Even with this extension it would only be about 8 miles long, and IMO could be a candidate for decommissioning.

roadman

QuoteI would do 2 things, first extend it along old US 44 to MA 3.

Good luck getting the Town of Carver to accept that.  That's the reason that 'old' US 44 wasn't resigned as MA 44A.

SectorZ

Quote from: roadman on January 31, 2018, 02:56:27 PM
QuoteI would do 2 things, first extend it along old US 44 to MA 3.

Good luck getting the Town of Carver to accept that.  That's the reason that 'old' US 44 wasn't resigned as MA 44A.

Wouldn't the only new miles be in Plymouth?

Also, let's play a game of "find the error" in the Wikipedia page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Route_80

PHLBOS

One WBZ report covering what went down in terms of locals (aka NIMBYs) succeeded in killing off the I-695 Inner Belt back in the late 60s/early 70s.

It Happens Here: Cambridgeport & The Off Ramp To Nowhere
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

I've placed new photos taken along a trip through the I-95/128 Add-A-Lane Project work zone on my I-95 in Mass. Photo Gallery, including:

The rest at: http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95photos.html#addalane

mass_citizen

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 01, 2018, 08:54:02 AM
One WBZ report covering what went down in terms of locals (aka NIMBYs) succeeded in killing off the I-695 Inner Belt back in the late 60s/early 70s.

and as a result cambridge city streets (in addition to I-93, mass pike, storrow and memorial drives, etc.) are absolute gridlock for most of the daylight hours and tons upon tons of carbon pollution is emitted into the air. Despite Cambridge's noble efforts with bikes, the car traffic is ever increasing (mainly due to the ever increasing population)

roadman

Quote from: mass_citizen on March 12, 2018, 12:22:34 AM

and as a result cambridge city streets (in addition to I-93, mass pike, storrow and memorial drives, etc.) are absolute gridlock for most of the daylight hours and tons upon tons of carbon pollution is emitted into the air. Despite Cambridge's noble efforts with bikes, the car traffic is ever increasing (mainly due to the ever increasing population)
The increasing car traffic has just as much to do with the increasing unreliability of the Boston area's mass transportation system - especially the subway lines - as it is due to the increasing population.  As nice as increasing bicycle accommodations are, bike transportation is still a relatively ineffective way to move large groups of people.  Sadly, however, it's seen as more of a political win for local leaders than putting the necessary resources into maintaining and improving the core transit system is.  And the system of restricting how Federal transit funding can be used (i.e. NO operations or maintenance expenditures can be paid for with Federal funds) is only exacerbating the matter.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: roadman on March 12, 2018, 09:48:57 AM
Quote from: mass_citizen on March 12, 2018, 12:22:34 AM

The increasing car traffic has just as much to do with the increasing unreliability of the Boston area's mass transportation system - especially the subway lines - as it is due to the increasing population.  As nice as increasing bicycle accommodations are, bike transportation is still a relatively ineffective way to move large groups of people.  Sadly, however, it's seen as more of a political win for local leaders than putting the necessary resources into maintaining and improving the core transit system is.  And the system of restricting how Federal transit funding can be used (i.e. NO operations or maintenance expenditures can be paid for with Federal funds) is only exacerbating the matter.
My concern is from the preservationist perspective.  Boston is no doubt one of the most, if not THE most historically significant city in the US.  When you start going around digging freeways you have to be careful.

5foot14

So the district 4 retroreflective sign upgrade project has been progressing along part of my usual route to work (MA 133 from Boxford to Rowley) with new reassurance and JCT shields. I noticed one peculiarity between the posted plans regarding this paddle guide sign in Boxford...

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7120537,-71.0542001,3a,45y,52.99h,92.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssgjXkSNWAhV7d5GB3xXtKQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

According to the Sign Action Plan (page 83) the sign panel was supposed to be replaced with a newer mixed case style sign since the route number was completely missing, (page 24 of the Project Sign Summary and Details file), however it seems they fixed the sign by replacing the missing route number only and leaving the existing panel. Is that something the contractors are allowed to do? Perhaps a compromise/cost saving measure? Just curious since I was expecting to see a nice new mixed case sign (which I am personally a fan of the new style signs)

Heres a link to the CommBuys page with the project files
https://www.commbuys.com/bso/external/bidDetail.sdo?docId=BD-17-1030-0H100-0H002-00000009788&external=true&parentUrl=bid

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.