Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Am I weird for liking the aesthetic of the cut off corners? I like it when cities go beyond using simple plain green/blue/brown rectangles for street name signs.

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on May 15, 2018, 12:45:10 PM
Which reminds me. SS...Mueller...this sign might be a little too German.

Or it might be a little too political, if one pretends the sign is a reference to the Special Counsel.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Michael

Last night, I saw this on Reddit:

EDIT: While writing this post, I didn't realize I was a few pages back on the quick reply screen, so here's a post from 9 pages back I thought was neat:

Quote from: roadman65 on March 06, 2018, 07:53:56 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/38789450440/in/dateposted-public/
A partial APL so to speak.  I do not know if any are in your area, but in Orlando they are becoming common.

I'd say that's a good compromise between the current APL standards and reducing sign size.  I've thought about having signs like this for each lane, and the sign above the option lane would list both the through route and the exit.  Another option would be to have exit signs like before APL standards, but add a sign in the middle with both the through route and the exit with a down arrow.  Yet another option (which would probably be too confusing) is to paint numbers on each lane (left to right) and have signs say something like "[through route shield] LANES 1-3" and "[EXIT] LANES 3-4".  Note the overlap of the numbers.

ErmineNotyours

"Road to be extended in the future", that is, when the railroad is abandoned.  It was, and it was.  Redmond, Washington.

Road to be extended in the future by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 16, 2018, 12:32:19 AM
"Road to be extended in the future", that is, when the railroad is abandoned.  It was, and it was.  Redmond, Washington.

Henrico County, Virginia uses similar signs at dead ends where extension of the road is an option, although right now the only one I'm aware of is at the western terminus of Three Chopt Road just west of Lauderdale Drive (near US 250). Henrico County's website doesn't mention an extension project, though (and with the explosion of development between North Gayton Road and VA 288, such an extension wouldn't really be useful anymore).

Strangely, there isn't one on J.E.B. Stuart Parkway in the northern part of the county, which is slated to become part of an extension of Woodman Road from Greenwood Road (near I-295) to US 1.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Mapmikey

Here is one in Stafford County Virginia:  https://goo.gl/maps/19HWtSFbBQK2

I think this has been there back to the opening of the Wawa over 15 years ago...

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 16, 2018, 01:11:09 PM
Here is one in Stafford County Virginia:  https://goo.gl/maps/19HWtSFbBQK2

I think this has been there back to the opening of the Wawa over 15 years ago...

I forgot about that one and I was in the area not too long ago. I think it's safe to say that street isn't getting extended any time soon.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

roadman

"The STOP sign is there to denote the intersection with a new road.  So far, we've only had enough money to put in the STOP sign."  From the Danny Thomas Show episode "Danny Meets Andy Griffith."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

fillup420

jakeroot

Quote from: fillup420 on May 19, 2018, 08:47:48 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2018, 01:16:06 PM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/826/41451047854_c5031d0745_c.jpg
Very strange looking diagram sign.

What is strange about it?

I agree that's it's not particularly strange looking, but it is an odd use of the sign. They're generally reserved for lane drops + option lanes.

Jim

Here's the previous sign in that location.  Taken January 1, 2008.

Followed just up the road at the split with these.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

D-Dey65

If we see any signs like this in New York State (especially Downstate New York), it'd be a miracle.

On another note, what does this sign say when the bottom is folded back up in the summer?

https://www.facebook.com/aaroads/photos/a.10150170219977948.315352.181045197947/10156315297557948/?type=3&permPage=1

MNHighwayMan

Both of these Iowa routes were turned back in 2003. I have to seriously question the utility of continuing to point out these facts almost 15 years later.

US 89

Salt Lake City, UT:

I've never seen anything like this "600 Feet"  before.

Mapmikey

formulanone

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 19, 2018, 11:46:54 PM
Both of these Iowa routes were turned back in 2003. I have to seriously question the utility of continuing to point out these facts almost 15 years later.

Found this in Michigan back in 2012; as it turned out, M-76 was decommissioned back in 1973.

I suppose the sign was at least a decade old, though.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: formulanone on May 20, 2018, 10:20:50 AM
Found this in Michigan back in 2012; as it turned out, M-76 was decommissioned back in 1973.

It's impressive that thing has survived that long.

wanderer2575

Quote from: formulanone on May 20, 2018, 10:20:50 AM

I'd guess it's a matter of the county road departments not bothering, or not even having the thought, to remove these signs, and not a deliberate decision to keep them.

Mapmikey

VA 6 and VA 151 swapped routings at their north end near Afton Virginia in 1989.  There is still an OLD VA 6 posting along US 250 at VA 151.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ugmi8SFM7Pq

When VA 275 became VA 262 not far from here the OLD postings were up barely a year.

Rothman

Quote from: US 89 on May 20, 2018, 01:27:02 AM
Salt Lake City, UT:

I've never seen anything like this "600 Feet"  before.
I have seen lead warnings in hundreds of feet, but not with the yellow background like that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 13, 2018, 11:06:34 PM
This is on Washington State 542 on the way to a ski area near Mt. Baker.  Seriously, who drives out to the mountains without a map hoping there might be a mountain pass? 

I can answer that.  Prison escapees from California who tried to get in to Canada at Peace Arch in the middle of the night and were refused entry at the border, then blew through the US entry side of the border crossing without stopping, and were driving flat out to escape the squadron of following Border Patrol and Washington State Patrol vehicles.  They turned up Route 542 hoping it would take them across a mountain pass, or at least to a spread out rural area where they could hide, because most state highways in California that go up into the mountains as far as a ski area continue through, but it dead ended.  My mom was on the jury for the case in the early 1990s.

US 89

Quote from: Rothman on May 20, 2018, 11:53:00 AM
Quote from: US 89 on May 20, 2018, 01:27:02 AM
Salt Lake City, UT:

snipped image

I’ve never seen anything like this “600 Feet” before.
I have seen lead warnings in hundreds of feet, but not with the yellow background like that.

Here’s a similar sign just across the highway from the first one:

ErmineNotyours

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.