News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Tunnel

Started by jakeroot, April 21, 2014, 06:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

New "satellite" photos of the portals, courtesy WSDOT Flickr.

Almost done with the north portal...

And the south portal...bit more work to do here...

The Ghostbuster

My prediction is this will be the last deep-bored road tunnel to be constructed in the United States. Given that other tunnels (Gowanus Tunnel, 710 extension) have gone down in flames, I'd be very surprised if any more are constructed. I would love for more road tunnels like this one to be constructed, but given the expense (and in 710's case, NIMBYS), and other factors, I don't see any more being built.

kkt

Ever?  There's other places they could happen, when the combination of need and money and cooperative neighbors all come together.
Examples: routing CA 1 away from the coast on another problematic landslide area, I-90 might get tunneled through Snoqualmie Pass to avoid the worst of the weather near the summit, moving a segment of US 101 away from the Eel River to avoid a particular landslide area or to avoid Richardson Grove...

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 28, 2018, 05:43:20 PM
My prediction is this will be the last deep-bored road tunnel to be constructed in the United States. Given that other tunnels (Gowanus Tunnel, 710 extension) have gone down in flames, I'd be very surprised if any more are constructed. I would love for more road tunnels like this one to be constructed, but given the expense (and in 710's case, NIMBYS), and other factors, I don't see anymore being built.

There have been ideas to tunnel I-5 in downtown Portland.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

The Ghostbuster

Portland is one of the last places I expect a road tunnel to be built. Building light rail, densifying all of its neighborhoods, and letting the roads become hopelessly gridlocked has been Portland's main goal, from what I've heard. Although nobody can accurately predict the future (least of all me), I feel pretty confident with my prediction that few to no road tunnels will be built. As I said before, I would love if more road tunnels were built, but given the expense, and the strong opposition from NIMBYs, I'm not confident about more road tunnels being built, at least in this country.

Plutonic Panda

I think road tunnels will be more common through the US, but I think that time is a long time away. I think a major shift in the way this country operates is on the horizon.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on March 02, 2018, 10:39:23 PM
A few aerial images posted by WSDOT on Flickr:

I posted two of these above already, but thank you for posting the rest.

skluth

kkt

Plutonic Panda

I've never been to Seattle and I plan on going this summer to check out the viaduct before it's torn down. I'm debating between driving up there or taking the train and renting a car for the day just to drive the viaduct and maybe tour the Olympic National Forest and then just using transit around Seattle metro. But I really want to check this baby out before she's demolished.

Bruce

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 28, 2018, 07:17:40 PM
I've never been to Seattle and I plan on going this summer to check out the viaduct before it's torn down. I'm debating between driving up there or taking the train and renting a car for the day just to drive the viaduct and maybe tour the Olympic National Forest and then just using transit around Seattle metro. But I really want to check this baby out before she's demolished.

If you take the train, I highly recommend signing up for a car share service like ReachNow. It charges by the minute, so you can spend a small amount (say $10) to drive the viaduct and be done with your car...no charges for parking or fuel.

Henry

Although I'm excited to see the tunnel opening soon, I'm going to miss the old viaduct when it is gone. While I know that double-decker bridges are frowned upon these days (and have been since the I-880 disaster almost three decades ago), it offers awesome views of the skyline if you drive in the direction of downtown.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jakeroot

Quote from: Henry on March 29, 2018, 09:11:44 AM
Although I'm excited to see the tunnel opening soon, I'm going to miss the old viaduct when it is gone. While I know that double-decker bridges are frowned upon these days (and have been since the I-880 disaster almost three decades ago), it offers awesome views of the skyline if you drive in the direction of downtown.

This is the reservation that many citizens also share. The view from the viaduct is really only matched by other buildings along that stretch and the Great Wheel. But when all is said and done, I think the waterfront will be a far more inviting place. I think there's some plans for viewpoints at various places along the future Alaskan Way.

AlexandriaVA

I never understood this argument. On a rural interstate with no one around, sure you can take in the view.

If I'm driving in a downtown freeway with a lot of cars, I'd be pissed if people weren't paying attention to the road though.

tribar

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on March 29, 2018, 11:43:18 AM

I never understood this argument. On a rural interstate with no one around, sure you can take in the view.

If I'm driving in a downtown freeway with a lot of cars, I'd be pissed if people weren't paying attention to the road though.

What? You can still take in the view and and be paying attention. And the OP never even said he was driving.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: tribar on March 29, 2018, 11:56:27 AM

What? You can still take in the view and and be paying attention. And the OP never even said he was driving.

:-D

I don't deny that your eyes will invariably see the background mosaic of building and such, don't get me wrong. But you're either paying attention to the road or you're not. Trust me, I see it all the time.

Bobby5280

Quote from: The GhostbusterAlthough nobody can accurately predict the future (least of all me), I feel pretty confident with my prediction that few to no road tunnels will be built. As I said before, I would love if more road tunnels were built, but given the expense, and the strong opposition from NIMBYs, I'm not confident about more road tunnels being built, at least in this country.
Quote from: Plutonic PandaI think road tunnels will be more common through the US, but I think that time is a long time away. I think a major shift in the way this country operates is on the horizon.

Perhaps the "keeping up with the Joneses" factor and growing fear the US will be surpassed by China might do the trick. Already some projects like the bridge/tunnel/artificial island project from Hong Kong International Airport to Macau would be laughably impossible to attempt here in the United States.

Any major infrastructure project in the United States is now mired in legal/bureaucratic paralysis for years to let a bunch of white collar pigs feed at the taxpayers' trough for a long time. When the project is finally let for construction (years or decades later) cost overruns can be counted on exploding the budget. Big shake-ups are needed in both areas. I consider it a sad disgrace how a single highway project, such as I-69 in Texas, will take 30-50 years or longer to build. Meanwhile the same project in China could be finished in less than 10 years even if having to punch through far more challenging terrain. Maybe at some point our nation will get shamed into finally waking up and revolting against the pigs who have been killing America's ability to build big things.

Bruce

Lots of people who take the bus or sit shotgun in a carpool appreciate the view.

Luckily, the Colorado/Atlantic overpass has a pretty good view that won't be blocked by new buildings (since it's in the SODO lowrise zone).

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on March 29, 2018, 06:30:45 PM
Luckily, the Colorado/Atlantic overpass has a pretty good view that won't be blocked by new buildings (since it's in the SODO lowrise zone).

Is that lowrise zone more-or-less permanent? Not that I could see that overpass ever being blocked, since it's perpendicular to Hwy 99, and therefore no buildings could conceivably get in the way of a skyline photo. The only real issue with the Colorado/Atlantic Overpass is Terminal 46 being just to its west, blocking the view of the water and the Olympics.

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on March 29, 2018, 09:09:53 PM
Quote from: Bruce on March 29, 2018, 06:30:45 PM

Is that lowrise zone more-or-less permanent? Not that I could see that overpass ever being blocked, since it's perpendicular to Hwy 99, and therefore no buildings could conceivably get in the way of a skyline photo. The only real issue with the Colorado/Atlantic Overpass is Terminal 46 being just to its west, blocking the view of the water and the Olympics.

Pretty much, since the only real obstacles are Pioneer Square and a few blocks along 1st/Occidental that spill over with the same kind of landmark protection. I think the Railroad Avenue corridor could see some new lowrises as part of the waterfront project.

roadfro

Here's a video I happened to catch that's related to the viaduct replacement project:

An "earthquake-proof" bridge is being constructed as part of a ramp that will take northbound drivers into downtown Seattle. The bridge employs new tech in shape-memory alloy supporting bars and flexible concrete that is designed to allow the bridge to flex in the case of a serious earthquake. It's a first-of-its-kind design. Research for this was done at my alma mater, the University of Nevada, Reno, with the feds endorsing the research and helping to fund the project.

https://youtu.be/1klORMqXNL0

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Jesus, I hadn't seen that video before. Very impressive! One of those technologies that no one will notice when it works properly (or at all, since who knows when the next earthquake will be). But the research is huge, and I'm glad the technology is being studied for use elsewhere. Not everywhere in Washington is as susceptible to earthquakes as downtown Seattle, but I would imagine that WSDOT will use this construction method at other work sites in the future.

nexus73

Quote from: roadfro on June 18, 2018, 01:56:56 PM
Here's a video I happened to catch that's related to the viaduct replacement project:

An "earthquake-proof" bridge is being constructed as part of a ramp that will take northbound drivers into downtown Seattle. The bridge employs new tech in shape-memory alloy supporting bars and flexible concrete that is designed to allow the bridge to flex in the case of a serious earthquake. It's a first-of-its-kind design. Research for this was done at my alma mater, the University of Nevada, Reno, with the feds endorsing the research and helping to fund the project.

https://youtu.be/1klORMqXNL0

Flexible metal I can wrap my head around...LOL!  It's the idea of flexible concrete that has me puzzled.  How does that work?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

silverback1065

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 28, 2018, 05:43:20 PM
My prediction is this will be the last deep-bored road tunnel to be constructed in the United States. Given that other tunnels (Gowanus Tunnel, 710 extension) have gone down in flames, I'd be very surprised if any more are constructed. I would love for more road tunnels like this one to be constructed, but given the expense (and in 710's case, NIMBYS), and other factors, I don't see any more being built.

have you heard of the scam Elon Musk sold to Chicago?  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.