News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest distance on a curve advisory sign

Started by Kniwt, August 31, 2014, 05:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

I'll start by nominating this one, on CA 36 westbound just outside Red Bluff (even though there are many reasonably straight sections in that 140 miles).

Roadrunner75

Zeffy

I'd be shocked to see if there is a sign with a greater distance than that.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Rainking75

I've never seen one even close to that...
Are there additional signs along that route? What about coming from the other end?

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Zeffy on August 31, 2014, 06:09:43 PM
I'd be shocked to see if there is a sign with a greater distance than that.

Ditto.  Highest I've seen was somewhere in the 60s (US 12 in Eastern Idaho).

Kniwt

Quote from: Rainking75 on August 31, 2014, 07:47:08 PM
Are there additional signs along that route? What about coming from the other end?

There's another one with about 80 miles to go, but I didn't stop for a picture. And at the other end, I was so relieved to be done with it (I didn't know about the extended 1.5-lane segment with the blind curves and the steep dropoffs!) that I got on 101 and didn't look back. :)

jeffandnicole

Pennsylvania has advisory signage that reads Wear Seat Belts, Next Million Miles.

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 01, 2014, 09:41:35 PM
Pennsylvania has advisory signage that reads Wear Seat Belts, Next Million Miles.

jeffandnicole

The Nature Boy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 18, 2014, 05:29:32 AM
Quote from: jake on September 18, 2014, 04:45:29 AM

Thanks jake!

Isn't that erroneous? If that roads leads to a road that leads to a road........and so on that goes through New Hampshire then they've misled the driver. :P

roadfro

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 18, 2014, 11:15:43 AM

Thanks jake!

Isn't that erroneous? If that roads leads to a road that leads to a road........and so on that goes through New Hampshire then they've misled the driver. :P

A candidate for the sign design errors thread, with it's unapproved negative contrast Clearview...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

pderocco

Quote from: Kniwt on August 31, 2014, 05:32:53 PM

I'll start by nominating this one, on CA 36 westbound just outside Red Bluff (even though there are many reasonably straight sections in that 140 miles).

I'd like to see that "in person". Judging by the alignment of the type, it looks like someone doctored the sign by adding a 1 before 40.

Revive 755

Quote from: pderocco on November 18, 2019, 01:37:43 AM
I'd like to see that "in person". Judging by the alignment of the type, it looks like someone doctored the sign by adding a 1 before 40.

Streetview has the sign with 140, so it's not a doctored photo.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 18, 2019, 10:14:33 PM
Quote from: pderocco on November 18, 2019, 01:37:43 AM

Streetview has the sign with 140, so it's not a doctored photo.

Actually it looks like the 1 & 0 were added, as "4 Miles" would be nicely centered justified.

But looking at it from an aerial view, 140 is probably legit. Advance a little and there's a sign saying the road is subject to closures 96 miles ahead!

CNGL-Leudimin

Is the "Animals" sign on US 93 near its Southern terminus in Wickenburg AZ still up? IIRC it had a sightly longer distance: 144 miles (232 km).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

michravera

Quote from: Kniwt on August 31, 2014, 05:32:53 PM

There are similar signs on CASR-58 west of I-5 and several places on CASR-1, but those distances are still double digits.

Mapmikey

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 19, 2019, 09:49:49 AM
Is the "Animals" sign on US 93 near its Southern terminus in Wickenburg AZ still up? IIRC it had a sightly longer distance: 144 miles (232 km).

Only sign there now says 37 miles (same as GMSV in 2011)...

https://goo.gl/maps/ofw5zg4K13RroxkK6

144 miles would be well past Kingman...

roadman

Quote from: roadfro on September 18, 2014, 10:34:21 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 18, 2014, 11:15:43 AM

Thanks jake!

A candidate for the sign design errors thread, with it's unapproved negative contrast Clearview...

These signs were installed well before Clearview negative contrast signs were disallowed.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

Negative contrast Clearview was never approved.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2019, 02:37:46 PM
Negative contrast Clearview was never approved.

Pertinent portions of the IA quoted below...

Quote from: MUTCD — Interim Approval for Use of Clearview Font for Positive Contrast Legends on Guide Signs – September 2, 2004
Purpose: The purpose of this memorandum is to issue an Interim Approval for the optional use of the Clearview font for positive contrast legends on guide signs

Research on the Clearview font: ... Both the Pennsylvania and Texas Departments of Transportation have reviewed the research on the use of Clearview font for guide signs and have requested that Clearview font be allowed to be used for positive contrast guide signs.

Conditions of Interim Approval: ... The Clearview font should not be used on negative contrast signs until research demonstrates the effectiveness. / Interim Approval for the use of Clearview font for positive contrast legend on guide signs will be granted to any jurisdiction that submits a written request to the Director of the FHWA Office of Transportation Operations. The request must state the location(s) where the devices will be used and the jurisdiction's agreement to comply with ...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadsguy

PennDOT and the PTC used to be much worse with using Clearview where it wasn't approved, but their latest Clearview signs are usually 100% correct. I haven't seen any of those black-on-yellow advisory signs installed new since brief switch to Highway Gothic, though, so I don't know if they're still being made in Clearview.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

roadman

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 20, 2019, 12:51:25 PM
PennDOT and the PTC used to be much worse with using Clearview where it wasn't approved, but their latest Clearview signs are usually 100% correct. I haven't seen any of those black-on-yellow advisory signs installed new since brief switch to Highway Gothic, though, so I don't know if they're still being made in Clearview.

Last time I drove through Pennsylvania (September 2017), I noticed that most of the Clearview 'advisory message' black on yellow signs had been removed, but not replaced with Highway Gothic ones.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman on November 19, 2019, 12:56:54 PM

These signs were installed well before Clearview negative contrast signs were disallowed.

Thank God you filled him in. Can't imagine how he got by without that clarification for the last five years.

roadman

Quote from: jakeroot on November 20, 2019, 01:11:43 PM
Quote from: roadman on November 19, 2019, 12:56:54 PM

Thank God you filled him in. Can't imagine how he got by without that clarification for the last five years.

My point is this:  If a sign is fabricated to a standard that is acceptable at the time of fabrication, but is later deemed to be unacceptable (for whatever reason), it doesn't qualify as a design error.

kphoger

Quote from: roadman on November 20, 2019, 02:19:09 PM
If a sign is fabricated to a standard that is acceptable at the time of fabrication

It wasn't.  Negative contrast was specifically excluded in the IA.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.