News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2016 Rand McNally Road Atlas

Started by US 41, April 10, 2015, 05:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

Well I figured I'd start this topic. The 2016 Rand McNally will be available to order online on April 15th. I always look forward to it coming out. The Rand McNally has its errors and there are several things we would all like to see changed in the atlas. However IMO the Rand McNally still produces the most accurate atlases.

Thing I want to see in the new atlas:

1) Hopefully they go back to the 2014 format for the Mexico map so its easier to read. It will be interesting to see if the Autopista Durango - Mazatlan is shown in green this year or if its even shown at all, as well as the northern bypass around Torreon.

2) I-540 changed to I-49 in Arkansas (I'm sure this will be shown)

3) Arkansas SR 530 south of Pine Bluff shown as a primary (red) road, not as a gray secondary road.

4) Eisenhower Tunnel not shown as an 11 mile long tunnel.

5) I'm pretty sure KS 4 will never be extended north in Topeka so get rid of the blue dashed line.

Things I would like to see that won't be in the new atlas.

1) Estado maps of Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, Coahuila, Chihuahua, Sonora, and both Baja Californias. (similar to showing the Canadian provinces that are closest to the US), with inset maps of Monterrey, Saltillo, and Chihuahua.

Note: I haven't kept up very well with new roads that have been opened up.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Stephane Dumas

A larger and bigger Toronto inset, with the coming of the West Durham (Hwy-412) and East Durham (Hwy=418) connectors showed under construction with Hwy-407 extension.

Btw, did they show a blue dashed line at Windsor, Ontario between the current end of Hwy-401 and Detroit River in the 2015 edition?

nexus73

US 97 freeway/expressway segments in Oregon would be nice to see.  We have 4-lane expressway on SR 34 between Corvallis to just west of Lebanon which never shows up on a R-M map.  There is also a 4-mile stretch of 4-lane expressway on US 101 south of Brookings that is MIA.  SR 62 is a 4-lane expressway to Eagle Point from I-5 with more traffic carried than I-5 has but you would never know it looking at a R-M map.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kphoger

I would bet money that it still shows the entire state of Chihuahua in the wrong time zone. Wrong since at least the 2000 edition.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

triplemultiplex

That map of Mexico is virtually useless in the scope of the entire atlas.  Either treat it like Canada, or scrap it.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Not just virtually. Some lines are simply drawn inaccurately and could literally lead a driver astray.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SSOWorld

In an age where internet mapping systems (Google, OSM/MapQuest, etc) are far more accurate, the RcM (IMO) will become more inaccurate and if it weren't for the paper map holdouts, it will become obsolete. 
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

US 41

Quote from: kphoger on April 12, 2015, 07:59:52 AM
Not just virtually. Some lines are simply drawn inaccurately and could literally lead a driver astray.

Yeah, forever the 85 libre from Nvo. Laredo to Monterrey was shown as a 4 lane highway. MX 57 between MX 80 and Saltillo is shown as a 2 lane highway. Parts of MX 40 between Torreon and Saltillo are shown as a 2 lane highway. Hopefully MX 54 between Saltillo and Zacatecas is shown as a 4 lane highway in the new atlas but I wouldn't count on it.

Roadrunner75

The magazine basket in my bathroom eagerly awaits the new edition.  Looks like I will be stopping by Target later this week, and then we can begin the game of "Find the Changes".

kphoger

Quote from: US 41 on April 12, 2015, 09:59:02 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 12, 2015, 07:59:52 AM

Yeah, forever the 85 libre from Nvo. Laredo to Monterrey was shown as a 4 lane highway. MX 57 between MX 80 and Saltillo is shown as a 2 lane highway. Parts of MX 40 between Torreon and Saltillo are shown as a 2 lane highway. Hopefully MX 54 between Saltillo and Zacatecas is shown as a 4 lane highway in the new atlas but I wouldn't count on it.

In a few of your examples alone, roads do not intersect where RMcN says they do, and/or they do intersect where RMcN doesn't say. This doesn't really happen on the US maps, but I would certainly not recommend navigating in Mexico by using the Rand.
Male pronouns, please.

rschen7754

Apparently it won't have I-41.

Brandon

I'd like to see RMcN treat Mexico and Canada the same as the US and have proper city insets for Canadian cities.  I'd also like to see a proper Puerto Rico map where it should be, between Pennsylvania and Rhode Island.  Adding Guam, the Northern Marianas, Virgin Islands, and American Samoa couldn't hurt either as this is a US/Canada/Mexico atlas.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

leroys73

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 12, 2015, 08:13:32 AM
In an age where internet mapping systems (Google, OSM/MapQuest, etc) are far more accurate, the RcM (IMO) will become more inaccurate and if it weren't for the paper map holdouts, it will become obsolete.

But they are inaccurate also.  Plus I like to see a larger picture when planning a road trip. 
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

leroys73

But the internet mapping are inaccurate at times also.  Plus I like to see a larger picture when planning a road trip. 
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Brandon

Quote from: leroys73 on April 12, 2015, 05:54:49 PM

But the internet mapping are inaccurate at times also.  Plus I like to see a larger picture when planning a road trip. 

Much agreed.  I much prefer the larger picture while driving, and usually prefer the map put out by the state DOT above all others.  Barring that, RMcN is second-best.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

6a

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 12, 2015, 02:30:32 PM
The magazine basket in my bathroom eagerly awaits the new edition.  Looks like I will be stopping by Target later this week, and then we can begin the game of "Find the Changes".

Glad to see I'm not the only one that does that. I picked up a lot of habits from my dad, one that sticks with me to this day is having an atlas in the shitter.

shadyjay

Oh just great.  This means my annual "I hate Walmart" battle... traveling to Walmarts in 5 states trying to find the stupid thing.  Then when I get it, sit it side by side with the previous year's and compare. 

I still have to (one of these years) send RMcN a message as to various inaccuracies, predominatly rest areas.  Why don't they show service plazas on non-toll roads as service plazas?  That just really "grinds my gears".  The service plaza on the toll-free Major Deagan in NYC are shown that way.  And why did they remove so many of the Rest Area-No Facilities from being shown in Southeastern Massachusetts? 

But more importantly, there's a missing bridge on the VT map (VT/NH 11 between Springfield VT and Charlestown NH at I-91 Exit 7). 

US 41

So Target gets the new atlas as soon as it comes out? I might have to go to Indy this next weekend and see if they have it. I already know Walmart won't have it until like mid May.

SSOWorld

Quote from: US 41 on April 12, 2015, 07:55:38 PM

So Target gets the new atlas as soon as it comes out? I might have to go to Indy this next weekend and see if they have it. I already know Walmart won't have it until like mid May.

But not Wal-Mart, cause they brand it.

Quote from: Brandon on April 12, 2015, 06:05:53 PM
Quote from: leroys73 on April 12, 2015, 05:54:49 PM

Much agreed.  I much prefer the larger picture while driving, and usually prefer the map put out by the state DOT above all others.  Barring that, RMcN is second-best.
Zoom out then :awesomeface:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kphoger

Re: Zoom out.

Somewhat true. And one can also print on larger paper, though most people only ever think about 8.5x11.

However, each zoom level lose detail. The level of detail available in RMcN's state map of Nebraska, for example, is greater than that affotded by a zoomed-out view of Nebraska in Google Maps.

I frequently snip screenshots of Google Maps and paste them together in Paint for precisely this reason. It's a bit tedious, but it works.
Male pronouns, please.

bandit957

At least print maps can be saved. Electronic maps are not saved.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Bickendan

Quote from: nexus73 on April 11, 2015, 06:55:31 PM
US 97 freeway/expressway segments in Oregon would be nice to see.
Indeed.   
QuoteWe have 4-lane expressway on SR 34 between Corvallis to just west of Lebanon which never shows up on a R-M map.
Super-4. Just like OR 224, not sure I'd really mark differently as it already is.
QuoteThere is also a 4-mile stretch of 4-lane expressway on US 101 south of Brookings that is MIA.  SR 62 is a 4-lane expressway to Eagle Point from I-5 with more traffic carried than I-5 has but you would never know it looking at a R-M map.
Rick
Not sure if these are divided or not; it's been years since I was on OR 62 in Medford.
With that said, the freeway portions of OR 18 and OR 22 should be on there if they aren't.

OCGuy81

Quote from: rschen7754 on April 12, 2015, 04:42:53 PM
Apparently it won't have I-41.

I was hoping that would be in there, but seeing as how the approval was just finalized, it probably missed the cutoff for the Atlas.

I'm curious if they'll now show I-69 all the way through Houston on the inset.

Henry

It would be nice to see individual maps of the Northwest and Yukon Territories included in the Canadian section, along with full shots of all ten provinces, but I guess we'll never get to see either.

And seconded on the Mexican states idea, although it would be expensive to make maps of its 31 states (if I'm right), and thus less feasible compared to a full shot of the country as a whole.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

oscar

Quote from: Henry on April 13, 2015, 01:02:55 PM
It would be nice to see individual maps of the Northwest and Yukon Territories included in the Canadian section, along with full shots of all ten provinces, but I guess we'll never get to see either.

You can try a Canada-focused road atlas for that. Heck, the one I have devotes two pages to Nunavut, even though it has no highways, and there are no city insets to show the territory's few local roads.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.