News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2016 Rand McNally Road Atlas

Started by US 41, April 10, 2015, 05:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

I finally bought my 2016 Rand McNally today!
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

SimMoonXP

I obtained the 2016 Road Atlas from Barnes Nobles in about a week ago. Saw several minor changes in San Diego inset map such as random corrections in San Diego metro area. Much like add the two towns labels such as Granite Hills and Rancho San Diego. Monterey Bay inset map tilted also. Las Vegas inset map move north showing Northern CC-215 Beltway section! The I-11 dashed line now on the Nevada state map without I-11 shield on it. Seem like Rand McNally still doing good job with correcting some stuffs into the maps!  :clap:

US 41

I noticed that I-265 in Louisville is shown as a dashed green line over the Ohio River and in Ohio Portsmouth appears to be getting a new bypass (maybe I-73/74???). I-69 is shown as complete to Bloomington, which by 2016 it will be. Texas has several new cities in inset maps (Abilene, College Station, Killen, Tyler). Beumont and Austin are in larger inset maps. I am really impressed with the new atlas. Every atlas is going to have errors, but Rand McNally seems to always have the least amount. I have never got lost with it and I've drove practically everywhere it seems.

Roadrunner75

Still waiting for it to show up at Target.  Looks like I'm gonna miss some of the fun in 'spot the changes'.  Just about ready to pull the trigger on Amazon...

The Nature Boy

When I was a kid, I collected Rand McNallys. This seems like it might be a good time to start again.

hbelkins

Quote from: US 41 on May 03, 2015, 11:21:02 AMin Ohio Portsmouth appears to be getting a new bypass (maybe I-73/74???).

Nope. This is the Appalachian Development Corridor B bypass of Portsmouth. The idea is for through US 23 traffic to take the bridge at the Greenup Lock & Dam across the river to US 52, then use the new bypass to access US 23 north of Portsmouth.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadfro

Quote from: SimMoonXP on May 02, 2015, 09:07:46 PM
I obtained the 2016 Road Atlas from Barnes Nobles in about a week ago. Saw several minor changes in San Diego inset map such as random corrections in San Diego metro area. Much like add the two towns labels such as Granite Hills and Rancho San Diego. Monterey Bay inset map tilted also. Las Vegas inset map move north showing Northern CC-215 Beltway section! The I-11 dashed line now on the Nevada state map without I-11 shield on it. Seem like Rand McNally still doing good job with correcting some stuffs into the maps!  :clap:

To what extent was the I-11 dashed line shown? Was it just from Hoover Dam around Boulder City, or did it go further? Any alignment further north than the Railroad Pass between Henderson and Boulder City hasn't been officially decided yet.

EDIT: Slightly reworded for clarity.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vtk

Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2015, 03:02:02 PM
Quote from: US 41 on May 03, 2015, 11:21:02 AMin Ohio Portsmouth appears to be getting a new bypass (maybe I-73/74???).

Nope. This is the Appalachian Development Corridor B bypass of Portsmouth. The idea is for through US 23 traffic to take the bridge at the Greenup Lock & Dam across the river to US 52, then use the new bypass to access US 23 north of Portsmouth.

The bypass will be signed OH 823, and is expected to open in 2019. I'm surprised RMcN included it, with the opening date so far off.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Roadrunner75

Got my 2016s at Target today.  Welcome aboard I-41. 

cl94

Quote from: vtk on May 05, 2015, 12:52:21 AM

The bypass will be signed OH 823, and is expected to open in 2019. I'm surprised RMcN included it, with the opening date so far off.

Please. They've shown the ring road around Nashua, NH for how long? And is that still in the atlas?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

US 41

Quote from: cl94 on May 05, 2015, 11:23:47 PM
Quote from: vtk on May 05, 2015, 12:52:21 AM

Please. They've shown the ring road around Nashua, NH for how long? And is that still in the atlas?

It's been gone for a few years.

Henry

Quote from: The Nature Boy on May 03, 2015, 01:42:37 PM
When I was a kid, I collected Rand McNallys. This seems like it might be a good time to start again.
I still collect them myself.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

OCGuy81

Quote from: Henry on May 06, 2015, 09:58:15 AM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on May 03, 2015, 01:42:37 PM
I still collect them myself.

As do I.  It's really cool to compare them by year.  My first was from 85 or 86, I believe.

Kniwt

Fixed in today's App Store update. (But, yikes, a 600MB download!)

Quote from: Kniwt on April 22, 2015, 03:13:14 AM
Is the iPad version missing a significant piece of California? I ask because, from everything I can see in my 2016, much of the eastern Sierra from Bishop northward along US 395 isn't there. It should be on the Northern California page, but it's cropped north-south through the state line at Lake Tahoe, missing everything to the east of there. (A tiny piece of it is visible on the Nevada page.)

I looked on all six of the California pages and didn't find it. Am I missing something?

bugo

I glanced at it tonight and noticed a couple of things:

AR 549 in Fort Smith is labelled "Future I-49" in text but shows no shields
US 64-412 is labelled as a toll road west of OK 151

bugo

I got my copy tonight. Another thing I noticed is that the Creek Turnpike and Muskogee Turnpike are not labeled OK 364 and OK 351.

golden eagle

Is there a larger Atlanta inset?

ftballfan

I didn't buy one, but I've looked at one and they've finally removed the dashed line for the cancelled(?) US-31 freeway in Berrien County

rbt48

That is too bad if they've cancelled extending the US-31 freeway to connect with I-94 in Michigan.

NE 370 does extend east of US75.  I drive it to work every weekday.  It crosses into Iowa over the Bellevue bridge (toll), becomes IA 370 and ends at I-29.

Are there any changes to I-86, or Future I-86 in New York?

theline

Quote from: rbt48 on May 28, 2015, 09:55:05 PM
That is too bad if they've cancelled extending the US-31 freeway to connect with I-94 in Michigan.

I've never seen anything about "cancellation" of the US-31 freeway near Benton Harbor. As far as I know, it's still in the plan. However, it doesn't seem to be a priority in cash-strapped Michigan and there has been no progress. If anyone has a cite for cancellation, I'd like to see it.

swbrotha100

Quote from: roadfro on May 05, 2015, 12:30:18 AM
Quote from: SimMoonXP on May 02, 2015, 09:07:46 PM

To what extent was the I-11 dashed line shown? Was it just from Hoover Dam around Boulder City, or did it go further? Any alignment further north than the Railroad Pass between Henderson and Boulder City hasn't been officially decided yet.

EDIT: Slightly reworded for clarity.

It looks like the I-11 dashed line goes from just west (north) of the US 93/US 95 split to the north (west) end of the Hoover Dam Bypass.

hobsini2

Anyone in the Chicago area got it yet? I still have yet to see a physical copy in my usual places where I find them.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

oscar

I got a copy of the Wal-Mart version of the standard 2016 RMcN atlas, in Evanston WY earlier today. As with previous years, the Wal-Mart version has a lower price, and a directory of store locations in the U.S. and Canada.

I had previously seen at Wal-Marts only large-type or other specialty 2016 RMcN atlases, with no discount or store directory. I was getting worried that Wal-Mart had discontinued its customized version of the standard atlas.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bandit957

Walmart has pooped so much that I wouldn't want to get a special edition just because it has a directory of Walmarts.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

I-39

If you buy the ebook of the Randy McNally Road Atlas, do you get free updates every year?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.