News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New I-5 signs in Portland

Started by Sub-Urbanite, September 14, 2015, 01:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sub-Urbanite

ODOT has been installing new overhead signs along I-5 in central Portland. They don't seem to have a lot of changes — some better-marked "exit only" yellow tape for the 405 exits mostly. Sadly, it looks like they will be putting up those oversized up-facing arrows on I-5 Northbound at the 84 split on the Marquam Bridge.

I'm curious if Portland Airport survives as a control city on 84 Eastbound or if it just gets the airport symbol. No other control city changes are obvious... Seattle, The Dalles, Beaverton, St. Helens all stand alone.

TEG24601

I too dislike the One Arrow Per Lane of the new MUTCD.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

jakeroot

I think an APL would work great here. The MUTCD no longer permits the advance signing of option lanes with down arrows. Seeing as this split has an option lane, it makes sense.

Thunderbyrd316

I have no problem with APL's but the new sign on the Marquam Bridge has much too tall arrows for I-5 North as well as too much "green" space between Seattle and the arrows. I suspect that the extra space will be used on the incomplete portion of the sign for Portland Airport and The Dalles to fit under the I-84 / U.S. 30 shields.

Personally I think this sign would have looked better if the completed left half had Vancouver Wa. above Seattle as a local control city destination and arrows of equal height to those for I-84.

At least that pathetic little shieldless pull through that simply reads "Seattle LEFT LANES" is going away.

jakeroot

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on September 17, 2015, 07:38:34 PM
I have no problem with APL's but the new sign on the Marquam Bridge has much too tall arrows for I-5 North as well as too much "green" space between Seattle and the arrows. I suspect that the extra space will be used on the incomplete portion of the sign for Portland Airport and The Dalles to fit under the I-84 / U.S. 30 shields.

Personally I think this sign would have looked better if the completed left half had Vancouver Wa. above Seattle as a local control city destination and arrows of equal height to those for I-84.

At least that pathetic little shieldless pull through that simply reads "Seattle LEFT LANES" is going away.

In your defense, the current design standards for APLs do create a ton of green space that I find unnecessary, but I still prefer them just in terms of their function.

For the MUTCD-standard APL, I would also use two destinations for the through-route, just to fill space.

Do you have a photo of the new sign? I can't find anything online (I'm sure there are plan sheets online, but I've never understood how to access them).

BloonsTDFan360

Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2015, 07:56:32 PM
Do you have a photo of the new sign? I can't find anything online (I'm sure there are plan sheets online, but I've never understood how to access them).
I did manage to take a pic while I was at the Tillikum Crossing last Saturday. The old sign and the new one are close together. A part of the new sign (I-84 and control cities) aren't on the post.

jakeroot

Quote from: BloonsTDFan360 on September 18, 2015, 12:10:54 AM

I did manage to take a pic while I was at the Tillikum Crossing last Saturday. The old sign and the new one are close together. A part of the new sign (I-84 and control cities) aren't on the post.

Oh my. Maybe it's the angle, but that sign does indeed seem really tall. When I find some free time, I'll take a whack at a redesign.

myosh_tino

Quote from: jakeroot on September 18, 2015, 12:21:25 AM

Oh my. Maybe it's the angle, but that sign does indeed seem really tall. When I find some free time, I'll take a whack at a redesign.

No, that looks par for the course if the I-84 portion of the sign has two control points like the old sign (Portland Airport / The Dalles).

For comparison, here is an APL sign from the Reno area...
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

roadfro

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 18, 2015, 02:28:06 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 18, 2015, 12:21:25 AM

No, that looks par for the course if the I-84 portion of the sign has two control points like the old sign (Portland Airport / The Dalles).

For comparison, here is an APL sign from the Reno area...

Yeah, APLs are huge...

For a further comparison of an APL's size: Look at the next APL sign downstream in the background in this picture–it's identical to the one in the foreground. Then look at the adjacent sign bridge for the opposite direction. The gray rectangle on the right side (as viewed in the photo) of that sign bridge is the back of a full-size variable message sign.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2015, 07:56:32 PMDo you have a photo of the new sign? I can't find anything online (I'm sure there are plan sheets online, but I've never understood how to access them).

Oregon DOT puts construction plans online now, but does not maintain availability in arrears.  The contract you want has the title "2014 Interstate Sign Replacement Project" and the sign panel detail sheets (for which ODOT does not routinely provide dimensions other than the outer panel measurements) are S-drawings S-14768 through S-14783.  As an example, the "Seattle LEFT LANES" sign mentioned upthread is sketched on S-14782.

Probably the easiest way of getting hold of the sign detail sheets is to go through ODOT's S-drawings database.  You can definitely search by S-drawing number range, and I believe it is also possible to search by project title.  Unfortunately, direct linking to the drawings is not possible given the way the EDMS is set up.  Entry point:

https://zigzag.odot.state.or.us/uniquesigfd2a32e33625a8ceee8667530c75a96c60a4830821db1e46c556f11ec2bed2e5/uniquesig0/TrafficPlans/

Be sure to click "Continue to the logon page with limited site functionality" because the gubbin the site tries to install will do absolutely nothing for a person who does not have credentials linked to an Oregon DOT employee ID.  You will then land on a search page, and to search S-drawings choose "Sign" as the traffic plan discipline.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 19, 2015, 10:36:22 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2015, 07:56:32 PMDo you have a photo of the new sign? I can't find anything online (I'm sure there are plan sheets online, but I've never understood how to access them).

<clipped>

Awesome JN. Thanks for the information. Now I just have to figure out how to access WSDOTs sign plans. But given the info here, I think I might be able to figure it out.

myosh_tino

A much deserved "Thank You" to JN on providing a method of accessing sign plans in Oregon.  :clap:

Using this method, I was able to find the sign plan for the APL in BloonsTDFan360's photo.  It's the 1/2 mile advance guide sign (drawing number S-14771) and it is a beast of a sign measuring 16 ft 6 in tall by 47 feet wide.  The APL at the actual exit is 2 feet shorter (14' 6" by 47').
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

J N Winkler

Jakeroot, Myosh_tino--you're welcome.

As far as I know, Oregon DOT is the only agency that attempts to get all of its signing sheets into a single continuous numbered series that covers all ODOT projects statewide.  This is partial compensation for how they dismember plans sets for archiving:  roadway plans (including traffic control plans; they are called "V-Files"), bridges, signing, signals, and illumination are all stored in separate "silos."

WSDOT keeps its recent lets online:

ftp://ftp.wsdot.wa.gov/contracts/

"Recent" means the last five years for sure, and probably as far back as 7-10 years.  WSDOT contract numbers are assigned in loosely chronological order and the current series is up to the low 8000's or so (as-builts from this series have "01" prefixed for compatibility with earlier numbering series).  Unlike ODOT, WSDOT rarely, if ever, does pure signing contracts.  Most sign replacements occur as part of 4R work, widening, communications upgrades, and so on.  It helps to know when the last contract was that touched the signing you are interested in; the contract number can then be found by looking at the descriptions in the letting lists or the folder names.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Sub-Urbanite

Totally. You could put "Vancouver / Seattle" on I-5 north signs in Portland and get 3 cities for the space of 2!

TEG24601

Quote from: NickCPDX on September 21, 2015, 12:17:33 PM

Totally. You could put "Vancouver / Seattle" on I-5 north signs in Portland and get 3 cities for the space of 2!

Unfortunately Vancouver isn't an approved control city, but perhaps Seattle/Vancouver, B.C.?
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Bickendan

Thunderbyrd316

I finally got a good look at the now completed sign on the Marquam bridge this afternoon and it does NOT have "Portland Airport" as a control destination. Instead the sign reads "The Dalles" and then underneath in rather small text that did not look quite right to me, "1/2 MILE". The whole thing just does not look quite right to me but again, I still think it is better that the pathetic little "Seattle LEFT LANES" pull through that it replaced.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: TEG24601 on September 21, 2015, 03:34:38 PM
Quote from: NickCPDX on September 21, 2015, 12:17:33 PM

Unfortunately Vancouver isn't an approved control city, but perhaps Seattle/Vancouver, B.C.?

Would the B.C. be required? Ambiguity isn't wrong if it's still accurate...

doorknob60

Quote from: Bickendan on September 21, 2015, 07:32:14 PM
Not approved by whom?

Good question. Vancouver is used as a control city on SR-14 along its entire length in WA (as it's the obvious control city, Portland would be a little odd). Vancouver (WA) should absolutely be a control city on I-5 north in Portland (along with Seattle of course being the primary one). I also think Gresham should be a control city on I-84 East. Beaverton and Tigard get good signage on the freeways in Portland, I think other nearby cities should also be represented (Vancouver and Gresham being the two obvious choices). I'm not advocating the removal of Seattle or The Dalles as control cities (although you could argue Boise should be I-84's control city, but it's so far away that The Dalles is a reasonable choice), just additions of suburbs.

noelbotevera

Here's my attempt at control cities:

I-5 NB - between MM 288 in Oregon and MM 9 in Washington
Hayden Island
Vancouver
Seattle
(I put Spokane here)

I-5 NB - MM 9 to MM 23
Seattle
Spokane
Vancouver B. C.
Squamish

I-5 SB - MM 24 - MM 12
Vancouver
Astoria
Portland

I-5 SB - between MM 11 in Washington to Oregon State Line
Camas/Astoria
Beaverton
I-84/Hood River

I-5 SB - Oregon State Line to MM 290
Salem
Mount St. Helens
Downtown Portland

I-84 EB - I-5 to MM 26
Gresham
Hood River
Salt Lake City

I-84 EB - MM 27 to MM 49
Hood River
Boise
Salt Lake

I-84 WB - MM 51 to MM 24
Portland Airport
Vancouver
Seattle

I-84 WB - MM 23 to I-5
Portland
Beaverton
Tigard/Mt. St. Helens

I-405 NB - I-5 to MM 2
Beaverton
St. Helens
Seattle

I-405 NB - MM 3 to I-5
Vancouver
Seattle
Vancouver B. C.

I-405 SB - I-5 to MM 3
Tigard
Beaverton
Gresham

I-405 SB - MM 2 to I-5
Gresham
Portland Airport
Salem

Yeah, they're really unlogical at some places.

Thunderbyrd316

For I-84 east bound control cities in Oregon, I would use The Dalles, Boise, followed by Pendleton, Boise, La Grande, Boise, Ontario, Boise, Caldwell, Boise. (Baker City does not seem important enough to me to justify a control designation but I would not be totally opposed to it being included between La Grande and Ontario.)

For I-84 west bound I would have Ontario, Portland, (from Boise), La Grande, Portland, Pendleton, Portland, The Dalles, Portland.

I am aware that we may be straying close to being "off topic" so I will refrain from including my I-5 control city proposals here.

noelbotevera

Noticed I put Gresham way too far...on I-84. Whoops.

myosh_tino

Just for kicks, here is a drawing of the APL based on the sign drawing I got from the ODOT website...

jakeroot

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 23, 2015, 07:56:38 PM
Just for kicks, here is a drawing of the APL based on the sign drawing I got from the ODOT website...

Interesting that they chose not to center and slightly raise the exit tab, the norm for Oregon (as I'm sure you're aware).

myosh_tino

Quote from: jakeroot on September 24, 2015, 12:47:36 AM
Quote from: myosh_tino on September 23, 2015, 07:56:38 PM

Interesting that they chose not to center and slightly raise the exit tab, the norm for Oregon (as I'm sure you're aware).

To be fair, the plans did not call for the tab to be raised slightly above the main sign panel but the plans did call for the tab to be right-justified.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.