News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unnamed and unnumbered freeways/expressways

Started by Bruce, February 02, 2016, 06:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 09, 2018, 03:29:42 PM
Bumping this thread as I've found a tiny section of freeway in Ohio that is unnamed and unnumbered as a byproduct of I-76 and I-80 bumping at exit 218 of the OH Turnpike. And it's not a ramp.
The difference of using the Double Trumpet vs the Cloverleaf. The I-74 and I-80 bump in IL does not have this issue, because of maineline I-74 West and I-80 East using 2 of the 4 Loops, so at least 1 direction of travel on each designation is on the freeway section thru the entire interchange

IL's other bump, I-64 and I-70, has I-55 continous thru the bump, so no undesignated section there

cl94

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 10, 2018, 02:40:18 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 09, 2018, 03:29:42 PM
Bumping this thread as I've found a tiny section of freeway in Ohio that is unnamed and unnumbered as a byproduct of I-76 and I-80 bumping at exit 218 of the OH Turnpike. And it's not a ramp.
The difference of using the Double Trumpet vs the Cloverleaf. The I-74 and I-80 bump in IL does not have this issue, because of maineline I-74 West and I-80 East using 2 of the 4 Loops, so at least 1 direction of travel on each designation is on the freeway section thru the entire interchange

IL's other bump, I-64 and I-70, has I-55 continous thru the bump, so no undesignated section there

Bumps like that shouldn't count regardless unless it's a significant length. 1/4 mile isn't a significant length, especially because, for all intents and purposes, DOTs usually consider designations to swap at a single point because that's how mileposting is done. The only case I can think of where a freeway section within a bump is actually not either of the two involved routes is I-87 and I-90 in NY (Thruway Exit 24), where the 1.4-mile portion of the Thruway without a signed number is NY 915H (though you wouldn't know that unless you read the logs). Exit 24 is (and should be) treated as a trio of partial interchanges because two of the legs are quite long.

But something like Ohio Turnpike Exit 218? Even if the designations followed the ramps, we're splitting hairs if we say the portion of mainline inside that trumpet is unnumbered (BTW, at least one side carries a number at all times because of where the ramps come in). And even then, the road still has a posted name (Ohio Turnpike).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

ilpt4u

One that is closer, are the ramps from I-294 North to I-88 West and from I-88 East to I-294 South

It certainly functions like a long Interchange pair of ramps, but there is an Exit on the I-88 East to I-294 South side, the I-88 Exit for York Rd

It is undesignated, but is it a freeway section? Or just a long ramp? I think this is actually longer than the Peoria example I posted earlier

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 10, 2018, 05:03:15 PM
but there is an Exit

The presence of an additional exit in the middle of an interchange shouldn't qualify the ramps as their own highway corridor.  If that were the case, then the otherwise-simple trumpet interchange of I-135 and K-96 here in Wichita (with a southbound exit to 29th/Hydraulic) would somehow be its own corridor.  Sure, it's a lot shorter than the Illinois example but, then again, that's kind of my point.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on December 10, 2018, 02:09:48 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 10, 2018, 02:07:35 PM
Quote from: froggie on December 10, 2018, 01:58:54 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 09, 2018, 08:33:29 PM
Quote from: cl94 on December 09, 2018, 04:39:19 PM
You beat me to posting this, but yes. Both 76 and 80 are discontinuous where the mainline freeways cross.
Anyone want to tell Travel Mapping?  They have it as looping down the ramps with an overlap with I-80.
We tend to follow the path of traffic, not the path of the centerline.  Witness TRUCK US 19 in Pittsburgh for another example.

Which makes sense to me, in terms of Travel Mapping's purpose. No one is going to clinch I-76 or I-80 by teleporting onto/off of the overpasses.

TM does routes as signed, not as they exist. There is a difference.
Isn't there a "one point per interchange" rule?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ftballfan

Quote from: 1 on December 10, 2018, 02:14:26 PM
Quote from: bing101 on December 10, 2018, 02:12:04 PM
Summerlin Parkway in Las Vegas is a freeway with no NV-xx or I-x15 designation.

And it's named Summerlin Parkway, so it doesn't qualify for this thread.
Even though it's mostly full freeway?

abefroman329

Quote from: ftballfan on December 11, 2018, 09:11:09 AM
Quote from: 1 on December 10, 2018, 02:14:26 PM
Quote from: bing101 on December 10, 2018, 02:12:04 PM
Summerlin Parkway in Las Vegas is a freeway with no NV-xx or I-x15 designation.

And it's named Summerlin Parkway, so it doesn't qualify for this thread.
Even though it's mostly full freeway?
No, it doesn't qualify for this thread because it has a name.

mgk920

The Ohio-Ontario, Stony Island and Chinatown feeders in Chicago?

Mike

ilpt4u

Quote from: mgk920 on December 11, 2018, 10:41:58 AM

Mike
But those are all named...

abefroman329

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 11, 2018, 11:20:52 AM

Mike
Also, considering none of these have any entrances/exits between the respective mainline Interstate and the surface streets, those are really just long entrance/exit ramps.

ilpt4u

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 11, 2018, 12:55:46 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on December 11, 2018, 11:20:52 AM

Mike
Also, considering none of these have any entrances/exits between the respective mainline Interstate and the surface streets, those are really just long entrance/exit ramps.
Chinatown feeder has ramps to/from the Stevenson...before it gets back to the Mainline Dan Ryan or to Cermak

sbeaver44

Does Harrisburg, PA's Airport Connector count?  That name never appears on any signage to my knowledge.  It's just "Harrisburg International Airport" on any signage.  Any reference to "Airport Connector" only exists on maps.

Brandon

One that is closer, are the ramps from I-294 North to I-88 West and from I-88 East to I-294 South

It certainly functions like a long Interchange pair of ramps, but there is an Exit on the I-88 East to I-294 South side, the I-88 Exit for York Rd

It is undesignated, but is it a freeway section? Or just a long ramp? I think this is actually longer than the Peoria example I posted earlier

ISTHA considers it a part of I-294, and a ramp to/from I-294 at that.

Now, there is a small section of freeway between IL-29 and I-180 that is unnamed and unnumbered as far as I can tell (no IDOT reference number either).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

froggie

Quote from: sbeaver44 on December 11, 2018, 01:35:06 PM
Does Harrisburg, PA's Airport Connector count?  That name never appears on any signage to my knowledge.  It's just "Harrisburg International Airport" on any signage.  Any reference to "Airport Connector" only exists on maps.

SR 3032.  Shows up on some of the reference markers.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Brandon on December 11, 2018, 01:37:33 PM

Now, there is a small section of freeway between IL-29 and I-180 that is unnamed and unnumbered as far as I can tell (no IDOT reference number either).
Thats odd, because the York Rd Exit off the ramp has an I-88 Exit number, since ISTHA added Exit numbers

Brandon

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 11, 2018, 01:49:21 PM

Thats odd, because the York Rd Exit off the ramp has an I-88 Exit number, since ISTHA addd Exit numbers

That's also the same exit number used for the entire ramp off I-88 (Exit 138).  Why ISTHA added it there as well, who knows?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ilpt4u

Quote from: Brandon on December 11, 2018, 01:50:23 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on December 11, 2018, 01:49:21 PM

Thats odd, because the York Rd Exit off the ramp has an I-88 Exit number, since ISTHA addd Exit numbers

That's also the same exit number used for the entire ramp off I-88 (Exit 138).  Why ISTHA added it there as well, who knows?
I guess, Historically speaking, it was a part of Toll US 30, which would have used the ramps to transition from the Tri-State to the East-West/now Reagan Tollway.

So at one point, it was numbered and designated

Found another candidate, looking at the Mass Pike (why? I don't know). Its also the first quadruple Trumpet Interchange I think I have ever seen...

But there is a limited access roadway running East-West between I-91 and US 5, just north of the Mass Pike/I-90. The roadway has Trumpets with I-91 and US 5 on each end, and has a standard Turnpike-style Double Trumpet for the Mass Pike/I-90 in the middle

Finrod

Before it got the I-865 designation, would the 5-mile section between I-65 and I-465 in northwest Indianapolis have counted?
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Finrod on December 14, 2018, 06:56:28 PM
Before it got the I-865 designation, would the 5-mile section between I-65 and I-465 in northwest Indianapolis have counted?

It would not. It was a separate segment of I-465.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

I posted on the Interstate ends on the 180 spur and there is also a post about the end of 290 into Illinois 53 but didn't mention the unsigned end. I guess IDOT didn't want part of Lake Cook.

Ned Weasel

Well, this is interesting.  Today I learned Kansas City International Airport's connector freeway is technically Cookingham Drive: https://goo.gl/maps/sFUE1Ey3cWpsVVTH9 .  But you wouldn't know that from I-29: https://goo.gl/maps/nSUL8pPZbx6QiB4QA .  And I'm not even sure where Route D officially ends, either: https://goo.gl/maps/s34hmV2zxZUgHTpB7 .  And to make things weirder, Google Maps shows the road named as Cookingham Drive, NW 120th Street, NW Mid Continent Trafficway, and then Cookingham Drive, going from west to east.

I only bothered to look because I thought this one counted for the category at first, but then I found it doesn't.  Still an interesting case, though.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

KCRoadFan

When I saw the thread title, the first road I thought of was a short freeway near Dayton, OH, which begins at Exit 32 of I-70 and serves as an access road for the Dayton airport. Right before the airport, the road has an exit for US 40/National Road.

I don't think that freeway has any official name. (Any users from Ohio who might have some info on this?)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.