2018 Alaska Roadmeet - May 29, Fairbanks

Started by Alps, October 10, 2016, 10:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

During what week can you attend the meet? Still determining day of week.

6/3-9, 2018
1 (20%)
6/10-16, 2018
3 (60%)
6/17-23, 2018
3 (60%)
6/24-30, 2018
2 (40%)
7/1-7, 2018
2 (40%)
7/8-14, 2018
2 (40%)
7/15-21, 2018
3 (60%)
7/22-28, 2018
3 (60%)
7/29-8/4, 2018
3 (60%)
8/5-11, 2018
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

oscar

The 2017 Milepost is now out, and can be purchased online. I don't yet have my copy, so I can't comment on how much has changed from earlier editions you might have.

Before the meet, I should pull together photos from my 2012 "Bad Roads of the Arctic" tour, to belatedly add a lot of new material to my Dalton Highway web pages. That'll make them a better guide to touring the highway, as well as helping you spot things that've changed since I was last up there.

I'm still planning to not attend the meet, even if it happens instead in 2018. Multiple possible schedule conflicts for 2017, including a second cataract surgery (though the first one seems to have gone well, and I'm holding off on the other eye until autumn). Besides, I'm not up for a seventh an eighth visit to Alaska. ISTM that the meet will be more fun if most or all attendees are experiencing Alaska for the first time.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

deathtopumpkins

Have any details (e.g. a date) actually been established for this yet?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Duke87

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on March 26, 2017, 11:29:56 PM
Have any details (e.g. a date) actually been established for this yet?

Due to shifting personal commitments on the parts of potential organizers and key attendees this is definitively not happening this year. There is a chance it may happen next year instead.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

deathtopumpkins

Oh good, I don't have to try and juggle things then.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Resetting the poll for the coming year. I expect Duke87 to ultimately be the driver (pun) of what week this happens, but feedback can't hurt.

A.J. Bertin

I'm glad to see that this idea is being resurrected for 2018. I very much want to participate somehow, but it's too soon for me to be able to vote on specific dates.

As a side note, should/can the subject line of this thread be changed to say 2018 instead of 2017?
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 18, 2017, 07:16:26 AM
I'm glad to see that this idea is being resurrected for 2018. I very much want to participate somehow, but it's too soon for me to be able to vote on specific dates.

As a side note, should/can the subject line of this thread be changed to say 2018 instead of 2017?
What do you mean? My posts are showing 2018.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Alps on October 18, 2017, 09:05:13 PM

At the time he posted, the original post still said 2017 (which you have since changed), and all replies match the original post's title at the time of posting unless intentionally changed.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Quote from: 1 on October 18, 2017, 10:01:32 PM
Quote from: Alps on October 18, 2017, 09:05:13 PM

At the time he posted, the original post still said 2017 (which you have since changed), and all replies match the original post's title at the time of posting unless intentionally changed.
What do you mean? This reply clearly says 2017.

Duke87

As with anything else, this is subject to getting blown up by further later developments, but as of now most of the given dates potentially work - only weeks that definitely don't are 6/24-30 and 7/1-7, since I have a wedding in Maine on 6/30 I am expected to be at.

7/8-14 is also iffy, because Alyssa's birthday is that week.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

corco

So that locks out...6/24 to 7/14? I'd be in favor of doing it either right on the front end or right on the back end of that, so either mid-June or mid-July.

I will need us to have a date locked in by the end of the year for me to be able to go, but I am committed to going (and driving a Daltonable vehicle up from Idaho to do this) if we can meet that condition.

corco

As you can see, we have a date now! The schedule right now is:

May 29 - Fairbanks meet, hosted by Alps
May 30 - Drive up the Dalton, spend the night in Deadhorse
May 31 - Return to Fairbanks

Alps, Duke and I will be heading up for sure, with the three of us carpooling in my rig (I'm driving up from Idaho) up the Dalton.

We'd love if anybody else is able to make it - Fairbanks is "easy" for anybody to attend; the Dalton gets a little bit more challenging depending on whether people have a vehicle to drive up in. I have a full or nearly full car right now, but if more folks are interested in going and doing the Dalton who don't have an appropriate vehicle, we can talk options.

Alps

Quote from: corco on January 07, 2018, 07:49:33 PM

Alps, Duke and I will be heading up for sure, with the three of us carpooling in my rig up the Dalton.

We'd love if anybody else is able to make it - Fairbanks is "easy" for anybody to attend, the Dalton gets a little bit more challenging depending on whether people have a vehicle to drive up in. I have a full or nearly full car right now, but if more folks are interested in going and doing the Dalton who don't have an appropriate vehicle, we can talk options.

Fairbanks is probably going to be later in the day, maybe 4:30-7:00 ish. It's going to be a drive of the expressways and a side excursion to North Pole. Probably some poking around at interchanges for signage/design.

US71

Quote from: corco on January 07, 2018, 07:49:33 PM

Alps, Duke and I will be heading up for sure, with the three of us carpooling in my rig (I'm driving up from Idaho) up the Dalton.

We'd love if anybody else is able to make it - Fairbanks is "easy" for anybody to attend; the Dalton gets a little bit more challenging depending on whether people have a vehicle to drive up in. I have a full or nearly full car right now, but if more folks are interested in going and doing the Dalton who don't have an appropriate vehicle, we can talk options.

Interested, but probably will sit this one out. I'll be in Texas the weekend before so wouldn't have time to come home, unpack, repack and head out.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSOWorld

I am likely not going to have the $$$ to make this.  I will handle it on my own at another time.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jpi

Unless Stephanie and I hit the power ball or mega millions there is no way we can make it, plus by that time I will be down to just a couple vacation days anyway.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

yanksfan6129

Corco, I'll take the fourth spot in your "almost-full" car.

corco

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on January 07, 2018, 08:41:40 PM
Corco, I'll take the fourth spot in your "almost-full" car.

Let me know when you have plane tickets.

Brandon

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 07, 2018, 08:30:17 PM
I am likely not going to have the $$$ to make this.  I will handle it on my own at another time.

I think I'm with you there.  We, those of us who need time & funding, may want to do this trip in 2020.  Might be good for several of us from the Midwest to go together then.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Brandon on January 07, 2018, 08:48:52 PM
I think I'm with you there.  We, those of us who need time & funding, may want to do this trip in 2020.  Might be good for several of us from the Midwest to go together then.

I concur with Brandon. I would love to do this trip at some point in the future, but unfortunately 4 1/2 months from now is a bit too soon to make this work. I already started making other vacation plans for 2018 with my husband. Vacation time and funds are limited. Brandon - you and I (and others) should seriously aim for 2020 on this.

I will admit, though, that I am very jealous of the guys who are able to do this trip this year.
-A.J. from Michigan

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 08, 2018, 06:51:33 AM
Quote from: Brandon on January 07, 2018, 08:48:52 PM
I concur with Brandon. I would love to do this trip at some point in the future, but unfortunately 4 1/2 months from now is a bit too soon to make this work. I already started making other vacation plans for 2018 with my husband. Vacation time and funds are limited. Brandon - you and I (and others) should seriously aim for 2020 on this.

I will admit, though, that I am very jealous of the guys who are able to do this trip this year.

I'm just going to third this because my situation is largely the same. One of my goals is to visit Alaska in my lifetime. But even with the amount of warning this meet got, it still wasn't enough for me.  :D :-(

getemngo

I'm out.  :no:

A full trip to Alaska was never in my 2018 budget, but I was strongly considering flying to Fairbanks for a day or two just to say I attended the meet (and then I'd take a full Alaska vacation in a future year). However, both the day of the week and its proximity to Memorial Day add too many items to the "cons" column.
~ Sam from Michigan

oscar

The 2018 edition of the Milepost travel guide, with detailed logs of the Dalton and other major Alaska highways, will be out next week. It can be pre-ordered on at least Amazon.

oscar

I've just uploaded an updated and expanded version of my three-page Dalton Highway photo collection, at:

http://www.alaskaroads.com/photos-Dalton-Hwy.htm

The main change is to add lots of photos from my 2012 round-trip tour of the Dalton Highway. (Better late than never, huh?) This will both be a better guide to the highway for those attending the meet, and also help figure out what's new that I haven't already photographed.

There are a few highway features that I don't have in my collection, and I'd appreciate your help with additional site updates on those and others you might find. The most notable is the snazzy new welcome sign at the south end of the highway, shown in the Milepost. Also, whether the AK 11 reassurance marker at the north end of the highway, that seemed to be missing when I was there in 2012, has been replaced. (I photographed but did not post the reassurance markers near mile 305, one of which I used for my avatar. GMSV also shows a marker northbound just past the Yukon River Camp.) A better photo of one of the pipeline pump stations would be nice. Also, something from the Finger Mountain wayside north of mile 98, which would be a good photo-op as well as a pee break if you can't hold it in until the Arctic Circle wayside near mile 115.

There are some photos on page 3 where I haven't figured out their exact locations from GMSV (which has 2011 imagery from the highway, taken by a team of two camera cars just in case). I'll go back to try to fix those, along with adding any photos from the meet tour, in June.

SSOWorld

Watch out for that corner - you know which one...
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.