Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riverside Frwy

Why is the South Bay Expressway colored street yellow?That entire segment of California State Route 125 is built to freeway standards.Sure the shoulders are a little narrow on the bridges, but come on.Just shows that Google heard it's was called the "South Bay expressway", so they assumed it was an actual expressway.Then they just set it to yellow without knowing anything about that stretch of freeway.

deathtopumpkins

Most short or non-interstate freeways are now shown as arterials. Just another consequence of Google using its own data now.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 08, 2009, 09:57:40 PM
Most short or non-interstate freeways are now shown as arterials. Just another consequence of Google using its own data now.
Even Interstates.  I-895 (NY) is labeled "I-895" with no shield and no orange color.

PAHighways

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 08, 2009, 09:57:40 PMMost short or non-interstate freeways are now shown as arterials. Just another consequence of Google using its own data now.

PA Turnpike 576 fits both criteria since it is yellow and marked "Pennsylvania 576 Turnpike," meanwhile PA Turnpike 43 is orange and marked with a 43 in a circle.

algorerhythms

Apparently they fixed several of the errors I reported, though they rerouted US-77 onto Rock Creek Rd. instead of Tecumseh Rd.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

CL

Yep, it turns out so far around 70 percent of the errors I reported in the Salt Lake City area have been corrected by Google Maps after about a month or so. While most were corrected the way they were supposed to, others were poorly executed (some street names were only halfway corrected, other street additions were done without a name, and their interpretation of Legacy Pkwy says it all).
Infrastructure. The city.

agentsteel53

I can't even find the Legacy Parkway!  Is it the one labeled Enterprise Blvd?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

CL

Yep. Also note the lack of an SR symbol, or how it's colored yellow as a regular road, or how it looks like something from Open Street Map (this is especially obvious at the northern terminus of Legacy Pkwy). Overall, a poor job they've done. And I have no idea where in the world they got Enterprise Blvd
Infrastructure. The city.

City

Google Maps is at it again by marking major corridors in Chile as US Routes.  :crazy: Although Chile's shields are similar to the US national highway shield,  they need to be colored properly to pass my approval as being the right shield design.

And in Bolivia...

And in Colombia...

And (vaguely) in Peru...

Oh, and here's a bonus; Costa Rica has US and circle shields!  :pan:

Add Honduras to that list...

...alongside El Salvador...

Yes, even Guatemala!

There's probably more, but I'll save them for later.

Why can't they just take a few quick seconds to photoshop the right shield designs?  :banghead:

City

Today, I have found yet another error. Have you ever heard of Hilo, AR?

At first, there was a dot here, but there was no name assigned to it. Now, it is named Hilo.

:banghead:

Anyways, here are some more shots of it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=33.36265,-92.27417&spn=1.009336,1.766052&z=9

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=33.361503,-92.275543&spn=0.252339,0.441513&z=11

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=33.361861,-92.272882&spn=0.031542,0.055189&z=14

EDIT: I have another one for you all... US-1265!  :pan:

I reported these errors to Google, so hopefully they'll be fixed.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: City on November 17, 2009, 09:06:11 PM
EDIT: I have another one for you all... US-1265!  :pan:

I can top that.  Say hello to US-1441. lol.

And yes, I've already reported it.

Alex

WillWeaverRVA

That might be the greatest multiplex ever right there.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

agentsteel53

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on November 18, 2009, 08:30:27 PM
That might be the greatest multiplex ever right there.

if greatness is determined by the product of all route numbers, then yes, quite likely.

jake@aaroads.com

City

I present you... Interstate 6! (and in the most ironic of places)

And US-17... well, they were close to it, but instead insisted on labeling 17th St. as US-17. (need pan smiley, here!)

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver

Hellfighter

Duke87

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

njroadhorse

NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

City

Quote from: Duke87 on November 25, 2009, 01:18:47 AM
So, apparently, the Cross County Parkway is now also the Cross County Mall. Who knew?

Umm... then where is the food court and all the stores? :pan:

--

Yes, there are towns in the middle of the Great Lakes!

Chatham-Kent and Dutton/Dunwich
Kettle Point 44 and Lambton Shores
Huron-Kinloss and Ashfield-Colborne-Wawanosh

Don't get me started on any more. There are too many to count.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: City on November 27, 2009, 02:24:44 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on November 25, 2009, 01:18:47 AM
So, apparently, the Cross County Parkway is now also the Cross County Mall. Who knew?

Umm... then where is the food court and all the stores? :pan:

--

Yes, there are towns in the middle of the Great Lakes!

Chatham-Kent and Dutton/Dunwich
Kettle Point 44 and Lambton Shores
Huron-Kinloss and Ashfield-Colborne-Wawanosh

Don't get me started on any more. There are too many to count.

If it were an isolated incident I'd suggest that Google has found the Lost Continent of Atlantis.
Will Weaver

rickmastfan67

Google has been posting "Future" Interstates on the maps for awhile.  So, it's really not incorrect since they do have "Future I-269 Corridor" signs along that highway.

agentsteel53

this may be useful, but only depending on how close to a function I-269 the road is.

there is a "future I-69 corridor" sign posted on US-82 in Arkansas, corresponding to a future road that will cross 82.  As of 2008, when I was there, the trees have not even been cleared. 

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.