Newberg-Dundee Bypass

Started by Bickendan, July 02, 2017, 05:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp_redelectric

Quote from: nexus73 on January 12, 2018, 10:58:13 PMThe bypass should be 99W and the original route Business 99W.  That is too simple and logical for ODOT to comprehend apparently.  Never confuse the driver!

I have to wonder if it is ODOT's long-term intent to decommission 99W and 99E altogether, and assign new route numbers to whatever section that has to remain.  If Oregon 18 continues east, why not have it continue all the way to I-5 at the Portland-Tigard city line - that would eliminate 99W east of Newberg and potentially east of McDougall's Corner.  Extend Highway 47 south and you don't need 99W at all.

If you look at 99E, it's already been eliminated in downtown Salem, and on the Jefferson Highway segment between Ankeny Hill and Millersburg.  It's being slowly erased in Portland (north of Powell Boulevard/U.S. 26), and I'm sure ODOT would love to get rid of the McLoughlin Boulevard segment, leaving just Oregon City-North Salem, and Albany-Junction City.  Albany-Junction City has so little traffic, it might make sense to relinquish it to Linn and Lane Counties; relinquish the Jefferson Highway...and that leaves just one remaining segment from I-5 to I-205.

JasonOfORoads

Bumping this thread to promote the first of my multipart Newberg-Dundee Bypass blog entries. Part 1 deals with its precursors, the Dayton and McMinnville Bypasses, the first one built 1957-59 and the second built 1963-64.

http://blog.beaverstateroads.net/2018/02/13/newberg-dundee-bypass-part-1/
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

Sub-Urbanite

Finally got down there for a drive yesterday. First thought: I think I spent more time getting *to* the bypass from 99W than I did *on* the bypass itself.

Second thought: Holy engineering, Batman! A lengthy viaduct, a high bridge over Chehalem Creek... just generally a lot going on there.

I'm usually the first to criticize ODOT for their big project screw-ups (Eddyville, LaPine, 217 ramp, etc) but this is impressive.

Finally: Looks like there are some Phase 2 choices to be made. It'd be great if Highway 18 could plug into I-5 directly somewhere, and that was prioritized over duplexing the bypass. Then again, it'd be great if Oregon could commit the $1 billion-or-so you'd need to duplex 18 from 101 to I-5... but now I'm getting carried away.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on March 05, 2018, 11:19:57 AM
Finally got down there for a drive yesterday. First thought: I think I spent more time getting *to* the bypass from 99W than I did *on* the bypass itself.

Second thought: Holy engineering, Batman! A lengthy viaduct, a high bridge over Chehalem Creek... just generally a lot going on there.

I'm usually the first to criticize ODOT for their big project screw-ups (Eddyville, LaPine, 217 ramp, etc) but this is impressive.

Finally: Looks like there are some Phase 2 choices to be made. It'd be great if Highway 18 could plug into I-5 directly somewhere, and that was prioritized over duplexing the bypass. Then again, it'd be great if Oregon could commit the $1 billion-or-so you'd need to duplex 18 from 101 to I-5... but now I'm getting carried away.
I also got my first drive on it yesterday. 1st good ODOT project in a long time (on a large scale). Main criticism is the merge going eastbound cutting out halfway through the curve. Phase 2 will help with the entrance of the east side thankfully.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on March 05, 2018, 11:19:57 AM
Finally: Looks like there are some Phase 2 choices to be made. It'd be great if Highway 18 could plug into I-5 directly somewhere, and that was prioritized over duplexing the bypass.

Right now, it would be quite possible by extending Oregon 18 south, multiplexed with Oregon 219, and then east on (Marion County) McKay/Yergen/Ehlen Roads to I-5, and possibly even further east to Aurora, connecting with both Oregon 551 and Oregon 99E in the process.

Then it would just be a matter of realigning the intersections to prioritize this route (especially at the Highway 219/McKay Road intersection), and probably rebuild the I-5/Ehlen Road interchange (which needs to be done anyways).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.