News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Flower Mound Tx Violates Rule 36" Stop Signs for More Than One Lane

Started by Brian556, December 11, 2017, 01:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

The Town of Flower Mound always violates the rule that requires 36x36 stop signs in situations where a stop sign controls more than one lane.
Yesterday evening, a serious accident happened at an intersection with this violation. Here, at Lakeside Village Blvd & FM 2499, two 30x30 stop signs control 5 lanes. A vehicle ran them, striking a vehicle on FM 2499. It is also worth noting that the opposing direction has stop ahead signs, but the direction that the vehicle came from does not.

A signal is planned for this intersection.

There have been tons of accidents at various intersections Flower Mound that could have been avoided with proper traffic control. Its annoying that they can get away with doing whatever they want, in blatant violation of the MUTCD, as well as other engineering standards.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9863903,-97.0599304,3a,27y,37.36h,84.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sepHu9vyd3KbXt5T-LJcmBw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Jet380

That's just a weird setup overall, having five lanes controlled by stop signs. I get that it's awaiting installation of signals, but they could temporarily narrow it down to one or two lanes to make the priority clearer.

kphoger

I despise all multi-lane four-way stops.  Even with a simple meeting of four-lane roads, you might theoretically have to keep track of who got there first between eight vehicles–and everyone else has to agree with you.  Add turn lanes and it goes even further to crap.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on December 12, 2017, 01:11:26 PM
I despise all multi-lane four-way stops.  Even with a simple meeting of four-lane roads, you might theoretically have to keep track of who got there first between eight vehicles—and everyone else has to agree with you.  Add turn lanes and it goes even further to crap.

It's not a 4 way stop.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 12, 2017, 01:14:55 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 12, 2017, 01:11:26 PM
I despise all multi-lane four-way stops.  Even with a simple meeting of four-lane roads, you might theoretically have to keep track of who got there first between eight vehicles—and everyone else has to agree with you.  Add turn lanes and it goes even further to crap.

It's not a 4 way stop.

Ah, crap, I didn't scroll farther towards the intersection.  Now that I've done so, I see the two-way setup.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brian556

Yet another accident happened last night at the same intersection, where the driver ran the stop sign on the same approach as last time.

Since the last accident, Flower Mound did upgrade the stop signs to 36" and put flags on them. Flags are non-reflective and useless at night, when both accidents occurred. MUTCD needs to be changed to state that barricade lights have to be used if flags are sued in order to serve nighttime drivers equally.
They did not add stop ahead signs. MUTCD also needs to be changed to specify to require stop ahead signs under certain conditions

The driver in the latest accident was arrested for DWI. However, the fact  that the same type of accident happened at the same location not long ago tells me that the driver being DWI was the full reason for the accident, and that deficient traffic control was partially to blame as well.

Jet380

At this point they really should just go ahead and install signals.

mrsman

Well, it also seems to be another intersection with double left turn lanes without a traffic signal (at least for the time being).

Brian556

Quote from: Jet380 on November 17, 2019, 02:59:29 AM

They have been trying to install signals for a while, but are being held up by some bullshit rule about the steepness of the crosswalk negatively impacting handicapped person.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brian556 on November 20, 2019, 07:37:18 PM

They have been trying to install signals for a while, but are being held up by some bullshit rule about the steepness of the crosswalk negatively impacting handicapped person.

When you find yourself in an accident and confined to a wheelchair, don't whine when you're stuck in the street because of that bullahut rule that was ignored and you can't make it up the slope.

Brian556

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 20, 2019, 09:29:21 PM

When you find yourself in an accident and confined to a wheelchair, don't whine when you're stuck in the street because of that bullahut rule that was ignored and you can't make it up the slope.

There road is a super-elevated curve here. It wouldn't be practical to change it to comply with this rule

roadfro

Quote from: Brian556 on November 21, 2019, 12:09:39 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 20, 2019, 09:29:21 PM

There road is a super-elevated curve here. It wouldn't be practical to change it to comply with this rule

But there also only seems to be sidewalks on one leg of the intersection at this point, and a crosswalk to nowhere on the opposite leg. That seems kinda ridiculous to hold up a signal installation for crosswalks that nobody is using...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.