News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest distance on a curve advisory sign

Started by Kniwt, August 31, 2014, 05:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on November 20, 2019, 04:47:16 PM
Quote from: roadman on November 20, 2019, 02:19:09 PM
If a sign is fabricated to a standard that is acceptable at the time of fabrication

It wasn't.  Negative contrast was specifically excluded in the IA.

The sign may actually pre-date the interim approval, but I can't say for certain.

Nevertheless, the interim approval did not specifically disallow negative-contrast Clearview. Note that "should" statements are different from "shall" statements (former is recommended, latter is required). This was an interim approval, but, as far as I know, the MUTCD legalese (should vs shall) was still applicable.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on November 21, 2019, 01:48:26 AM

If a sign is fabricated to a standard that is acceptable at the time of fabrication

The sign may actually pre-date the interim approval, but I can't say for certain.

Nevertheless, the interim approval did not specifically disallow negative-contrast Clearview. Note that "should" statements are different from "shall" statements (former is recommended, latter is required). This was an interim approval, but, as far as I know, the MUTCD legalese (should vs shall) was still applicable.

But the purpose of the IA specifically included the phrase "use of the Clearview font for positive contrast legends".  That is to say, the purpose of the IA was not for the use of the Clearview font for negative contrast legends, or else it would not have specified positive contrast at all.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman

PA's black on yellow "nanny" signs did predate the IA.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on November 21, 2019, 12:04:33 PM

But the purpose of the IA specifically included the phrase "use of the Clearview font for positive contrast legends".  That is to say, the purpose of the IA was not for the use of the Clearview font for negative contrast legends, or else it would not have specified positive contrast at all.

I think that's a safe assumption, but the actual guidelines are not as restrictive. I don't think the title of the IA is legally binding, in and of itself.

Quote from: roadman on November 21, 2019, 02:39:05 PM
PA's black on yellow "nanny" signs did predate the IA.

Thanks. I was thinking so.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.