Previous exit number signs - "OLD EXIT" or "FORMERLY EXIT"

Started by roadman, December 13, 2017, 11:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

For exit number conversions, should signs displaying the previous exit number read "OLD" or FORMERLY"?  Also, should the signs be white on green or black on yellow?

Should read OLD EXIT XX - white on green
Should read FORMERLY EXIT XX - white on green
Should read OLD EXIT XX - black on yellow
Should read FORMERLY EXIT XX - black on yellow

roadman

As the remaining sequential exit number states are converting to mileage-based numbers (or are making plans to do so), I've noticed some inconsistencies in how the various states have been indicating the former exit numbers on signs.  Specifically, it is the text on the signs and the colors used on signs.

For example, PA and CT used the legend "OLD EXIT XX" with white on green signs, while ME used the legend "FORMERLY EXIT XX" with black on yellow signs - MA's original renumbering contract proposed the same legend and colors for their signs.  RI has used the legend "OLD EXIT XX", but in black on yellow.

As this issue was not addressed in the 2009 MUTCD, I'm curious about people's thoughts as to which text and color scheme is best to indicate the previous exit number to drivers.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

I think Black on Yellow highlights the change more.  But, they have to be taken down after a few years.  PennDOT/PA Turnpike changed their system from sequential to mileage based in 2001, and the 'Old Exit XX' is still up on many signs.  They were useless 10 years ago.  Useless signs can only increase confusion.

roadman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 13, 2017, 12:06:27 PM
I think Black on Yellow highlights the change more.  But, they have to be taken down after a few years.  PennDOT/PA Turnpike changed their system from sequential to mileage based in 2001, and the 'Old Exit XX' is still up on many signs.  They were useless 10 years ago.  Useless signs can only increase confusion.

Agree with you about taking the signs down after a short period.  PennDOT's "OLD EXIT XX" signs were supposed to be removed after two years.  My concern about these signs is that many are mounted to overhead sign trusses.  Any additional loading on the horizontal members of such structures is never good in the long term.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman on December 13, 2017, 12:09:45 PM

Agree with you about taking the signs down after a short period.  PennDOT's "OLD EXIT XX" signs were supposed to be removed after two years.  My concern about these signs is that many are mounted to overhead sign trusses.  Any additional loading on the horizontal members of such structures is never good in the long term.

Luckily, these signs are small, and the load factor calculated for the present sign isn't the absolute max load factor.  I've seen modern instances where an overhead gantry went from holding a few BGSs to a very large APL sign with no issues.

ColossalBlocks

Black on yellow would serve to capture driver's attention more.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

roadman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 13, 2017, 12:22:38 PM
Quote from: roadman on December 13, 2017, 12:09:45 PM

Luckily, these signs are small, and the load factor calculated for the present sign isn't the absolute max load factor.  I've seen modern instances where an overhead gantry went from holding a few BGSs to a very large APL sign with no issues.
Point taken.  But it largely depends on the design standards the specific state has for the support structures.  While some states require their supports to meet loading requirements that are a given percentage above the actual panel area, other states leave the exact design up to the fabricator.  Regardless, it's always good practice to have a structure design re-evaluated if the loading is going to be increased - which I hope happened in the APL case you cited.

bob7374

I agree with black and yellow in that calls more attention to the sign text. I guess I would prefer 'Old Exit XX' simply because its shorter and the text could thus be made bigger and easier to read on the limited space of exit tab size sign. Is MassDOT open to changing the text of these signs in the next iteration of its exit renumbering contract proposal?

Eth

Black and yellow might call more attention to it, sure, but is that desired? Why is the old number more important than the new number? It isn't, and it certainly doesn't constitute a warning (which is what black/yellow is for). It should be white on green just like any other exit number.

Also, I'd go with "OLD" just because it's simpler (and maybe just because it's what I remember seeing when Florida renumbered their exits 15 or 20 years ago).

spooky

Quote from: Eth on December 13, 2017, 02:01:04 PM
Black and yellow might call more attention to it, sure, but is that desired? Why is the old number more important than the new number? It isn't, and it certainly doesn't constitute a warning (which is what black/yellow is for). It should be white on green just like any other exit number.

Also, I'd go with "OLD" just because it's simpler (and maybe just because it's what I remember seeing when Florida renumbered their exits 15 or 20 years ago).

Agreed on both counts. (although I didn't see OLD in Florida 15 or 20 years ago)

kphoger

Quote from: spooky on December 13, 2017, 03:11:15 PM
Why is the old number more important than the new number? It isn't, and it certainly doesn't constitute a warning (which is what black/yellow is for). It should be white on green just like any other exit number.

Also, I'd go with "OLD" just because it's simpler.

Agreed on both counts. (although I didn't see OLD in Florida 15 or 20 years ago)

+3
And voted accordingly.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Per the MUTCD:

QuoteFunction of Warning Signs
Support:
01 Warning signs call attention to unexpected conditions on or adjacent to a highway, street, or private roads
open to public travel and to situations that might not be readily apparent to road users. Warning signs alert road
users to conditions that might call for a reduction of speed or an action in the interest of safety and efficient
traffic operations.

As the unexpected condition is a change in the exit number, and is an action in efficient traffic operations, it's an appropriate color to be used.  A motorist exiting at the wrong location can become confused and disoriented, especially when directions are subpar, or the motorist has a long way to go.  (ie: if one's directions are to use Exit 2, turn right at bottom of ramp, then go 20 miles, the motorist could be going the wrong direction for a half-hour or more before believing that they aren't in the correct area.  A warning sign in this instance highlights the fact the exit number has changed, which attempts to avoid such scenarios)

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 13, 2017, 03:37:14 PM

Per the MUTCD:

Support:
01 Warning signs call attention to unexpected conditions on or adjacent to a highway, street, or private roads
open to public travel and to situations that might not be readily apparent to road users. Warning signs alert road
users to conditions that might call for a reduction of speed or an action in the interest of safety and efficient
traffic operations.

As the unexpected condition is a change in the exit number, and is an action in efficient traffic operations, it's an appropriate color to be used.  A motorist exiting at the wrong location can become confused and disoriented, especially when directions are subpar, or the motorist has a long way to go.  (ie: if one's directions are to use Exit 2, turn right at bottom of ramp, then go 20 miles, the motorist could be going the wrong direction for a half-hour or more before believing that they aren't in the correct area.  A warning sign in this instance highlights the fact the exit number has changed, which attempts to avoid such scenarios)

For me, it's a struggle to categorize an exit number change as road "conditions."  However, I find no definition of "conditions" anywhere in the MUTCD, so who's to say it couldn't?  Provided, of course, that an engineer agrees.

Quote from: MUTCD, 2009 Edition, §2C.02 Application of Warning Signs
01  The use of warning signs shall be based on an engineering study or on engineering judgment.

...with the definition of "engineering judgment" being...

Quote from: MUTCD, 2009 Edition, §1A.13 Definitions of Headings, Words, and Phrases in this Manual
03  The following words and phrases, when used in this Manual, shall have the following meanings:
64  Engineering Judgment–the evaluation of available pertinent information, and the application of appropriate principles, provisions, and practices as contained in this Manual and other sources, for the purpose of deciding upon the applicability, design, operation, or installation of a traffic control device. Engineering judgment shall be exercised by an engineer, or by an individual working under the supervision of an engineer, through the application of procedures and criteria established by the engineer. Documentation of engineering judgment is not required.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

UCFKnights

Quote from: spooky on December 13, 2017, 03:11:15 PM

Florida still has some OLD signs up from the renumbering... they are getting rare, but I remember passing some on 95 within the past year when I drove the entire state. They're removed as part of any construction project now though.

Given how long they tend to stay up for, I'm also against emphasizing them, so white on green is my vote. I don't mind them being up a while either, directions people print online, old maps, and people who remember exit numbers but don't travel that way very often would be more likely to get confused the shorter they're up, and they don't harm anything when posted in this manner IMO.

Edit to add example; https://www.google.com/maps/@29.547986,-81.2145976,3a,19.3y,-19.92h,99.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJkBBF6Ue01x2hvMbbAYVQg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

1995hoo

I think "formerly" is unnecessarily verbose. It reminds me of when sportscasters say "utilized" when "used" would work perfectly well, except that in the sports case it's harmless while in the road case I think the simplest effective wording is preferable. "Old" is probably better for people who don't speak English as their primary language, too. (That issue resonates with me simply because my wife's parents were immigrants who struggled to learn English.)

I voted for the black-on-yellow because it draws the eye.

BTW, regarding the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I still think of Somerset, Bedford, and Breezewood as Exits 10, 11, and 12, respectively. Probably always will.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hurricane Rex

Just keep it simple, old exit xx. How long do you think these signs should stay up though?
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

michravera

Quote from: roadman on December 13, 2017, 11:38:33 AM
As the remaining sequential exit number states are converting to mileage-based numbers (or are making plans to do so), I've noticed some inconsistencies in how the various states have been indicating the former exit numbers on signs.  Specifically, it is the text on the signs and the colors used on signs.

For example, PA and CT used the legend "OLD EXIT XX" with white on green signs, while ME used the legend "FORMERLY EXIT XX" with black on yellow signs - MA's original renumbering contract proposed the same legend and colors for their signs.  RI has used the legend "OLD EXIT XX", but in black on yellow.

As this issue was not addressed in the 2009 MUTCD, I'm curious about people's thoughts as to which text and color scheme is best to indicate the previous exit number to drivers.

The only example of which I am aware in California has to do with either renamed cities or those that have changed boundaries or renamed streets. What they did with that a few years ago in San Francisco was "Cesar Chavez St (Army)".

Old exit numbers, if they are to be signed at all should be on blue signs.

If they are to be placed on green signs, they might use something like "Exit 15 (Old 10)" or "Exit 15 (#10)".

Rothman

It will be a great day when New York finally converts, no matter what the little signs like like.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadfro

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 13, 2017, 03:37:14 PM

Per the MUTCD:

Support:
traffic operations.

The black-on-yellow warning category is really meant for conditions relating to horizontal/vertical alignments and clearances, surface conditions, or potential obstructions/conflicts that could require the driver to take an action such as slowing down, changing lanes/position, or coming to a stop.

A change in an exit number is none of these things. Following your logic, we would also need to use warning colors on guide signs if a street's name was changed...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on December 13, 2017, 11:46:24 PM
It will be a great day when New York finally converts, no matter what the little signs like like.
When Region 6 did I-99, they were white on green using formerly.
http://nysroads.com/photos.php?route=us15&state=NY&file=100_8906.JPG
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 13, 2017, 10:02:32 PM
Just keep it simple, old exit xx. How long do you think these signs should stay up though?
Standard in other states has been two years after completion of conversion.  However, the tricky part is insuring the signs come down shortly after those two years are up (yes, PennDOT I'm looking at you).  And for those of you who are wondering, it is generally impractical to include that requirement for removing the signs in the contract to do the conversion, as you result in a contract with a lot of dead time - which causes issues on both the contractor's and the DOT's end of things.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

Quote from: roadman on December 14, 2017, 02:16:13 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 13, 2017, 10:02:32 PM
Standard in other states has been two years after completion of conversion.  However, the tricky part is insuring the signs come down shortly after those two years are up (yes, PennDOT I'm looking at you).  And for those of you who are wondering, it is generally impractical to include that requirement for removing the signs in the contract to do the conversion, as you result in a contract with a lot of dead time - which causes issues on both the contractor's and the DOT's end of things.
Some even forgotten, like on I-95 in Palm Coast, FL.  OLD 91C is still on the Exit 289 guide signs where the rest of I-95 got rid of em a few years after the change.  I believe its 14 years already since FDOT went mile based, so a big overlook here.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

paulthemapguy

No to black and yellow.
1) Black and yellow is for warning signs
2) It will call more attention to the old exit number than to the actual exit number.  Why would you want the obsolete exit number to appear louder/brighter?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

machias

Quote from: vdeane on December 14, 2017, 01:06:30 PM

I know that around 15 years ago NYSDOT was tossing around an idea to have NEW EXIT XX mounted above the existing panel, then swapping the numbers with a FORMERLY EXIT XX below like seen on I-99. Because NYSDOT wants to use as much money and time as possible to do this, apparently.

roadman65

Quote from: upstatenyroads on December 21, 2017, 07:02:17 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 14, 2017, 01:06:30 PM

I know that around 15 years ago NYSDOT was tossing around an idea to have NEW EXIT XX mounted above the existing panel, then swapping the numbers with a FORMERLY EXIT XX below like seen on I-99. Because NYSDOT wants to use as much money and time as possible to do this, apparently.
Well that is because NY is stubborn anyhow.

I am interested in seeing though how NJDOT will do it when changing I-95 to I-295 next week.  Also how the cardinal directions will be signed from the Delaware River to US 1, but that is for another topic.   Last time NJDOT did sign FORMERLY EXIT XX when they redid it before when I-295 ended west of Federal City Road and that said exit, US 206, CR 583, and US 1 had to changed out to match free I-95's scheme.  They were on the exit gore sign in yellow.

However, the GSP used them on the tab above the sign panel when changing out NJ 27 and US 22 respectively.  I can't say for sure on this one as it was done recently and have not been to NJ since 2012 long before all of this renumbering.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.