News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

50th Anniversary of the Silver Bridge Collapse

Started by BrianP, December 18, 2017, 01:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

triplemultiplex

I recall learning about this watching a documentary on the History Channel (back when they covered actual history instead of the trash that's on their now).
Fascinating case about building redundancy into a bridge and how one tiny flaw will bring down an entire fracture-critical structure.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

roadman

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 18, 2017, 04:59:41 PM
I recall learning about this watching a documentary on the History Channel (back when they covered actual history instead of the trash that's on their now).
Fascinating case about building redundancy into a bridge and how one tiny flaw will bring down an entire fracture-critical structure.
Back before A&E ditched actual arts and entertainment for programming like exploiting people with mental health issues (Hoarders), they did a multi-part documentary called Collapse that covered, among other things, the Silver Bridge collapse and the NY Thruway Schoharie Creek collapse.  This program went into far more depth on both of those collapses than the History Channel's Modern Marvels eight minute segments - which were based on the same material (A&E and the History Channel are owned by the same company) - did.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Jardine

I'm old enough to remember when it happened.  Quite a shock for the country to learn about fatigue failures and such.  My recollection was the investigation results were slow to come out too. 

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SP Cook

Actual story of the "mothman" :

If you look at the rest of Mason County, north of Point Pleasant, the Ohio River takes a bend, in the shape of an inverted U.  This area, while having rail and barge access, is, and more importantly, was in the 1930s and 40s, quite uninhabited and undeveloped, as was similar land across the Ohio.  It was also quite near the chemical factories of the Charleston region. 

The military, figuring this was far enough inland to avoid a German attack, and rural enough that not many would get killed/not much of value would be lost in case of an attack or an accident, used it to store explosives for the wars. 

To keep prying locals away, they circulated wild stories about a "mothman".  If you study WWII and WWI history, similar wild stories about monsters and boogie men were circulated, and often still exist, all up and down the inland area similar distances from the coast.  Sometimes these were combined, further south, with stories about the KKK or lost Indian tribes and such. 

The bunkers used to store the ammo eventually became state property and, until they had an explosion a few years ago, were for rent to individuals, mostly black powder hunters and fireworks wholesalers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.