News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Opinion: Danger ahead: Road signs that are too small or too confusing

Started by cpzilliacus, January 26, 2018, 12:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: kalvado on January 30, 2018, 02:43:34 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 30, 2018, 02:30:25 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 30, 2018, 02:22:21 PM
Do you really expect a dumbass who can't figure out how to work a credit card terminal to know the difference between a circle 50 shield and a circle 50 speed limit because there's no banner on the speed limit, though?

There's a lot of signs in the MUTCD. The only other circular cutout sign is the railroad crossing sign, and that's yellow with a very clear legend. I don't think people are that stupid.

That said, I prefer Australia's approach anyway, which is the generic speed limit sign covered up with a red circle in the center. If the US ever switches to metric, it would be wise to consider an alternative design like Australia's.

FWIW, I did not know states posted shields without cardinal directions. That's definitely not a thing where I'm from.
I would say circular is not the main point of it. European traffic signage does not rely on words for immediate control functions - and MUTCD spells out everything. I suspect that european signage was developed under assumption that drivers do not have to be literate, and memorizing some pictograms is relatively easy. Sort of pointless by now...

European signage does not rely on words because of the variety of languages in the area.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

webny99

Quote from: 1 on January 30, 2018, 02:47:15 PM
European signage does not rely on words because of the variety of languages in the area.

There are places in the US, too, where there are many languages spoken. Not to the extent of Europe, but reduced reliance on words can only help in motorist guidance.

J N Winkler

Actually, our signing system is designed to accommodate a certain level of mild mental impairment.  Choice of standard letter sizes for signs and limits on message units per sign assembly are based on the assumption that a driver of ordinary mental acuity should be able to read the complete sign message twice in the time it is acceptably visible for reading (defined as a certain range of viewing angles both horizontally and vertically).  The reason for twice-over reading is explicitly to allow the sign to be read at least once by the mentally slow.  This goes all the way back to studies in sign legibility which T.W. Forbes carried out at the (then) Yale Bureau of Street Traffic in the late 1930's.  (I have long suspected, but have not yet proven, that Forbes' research was funded by the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission for the purpose of developing signs for the original Irwin-Carlisle length.)

Quote from: kalvado on January 30, 2018, 02:43:34 PMI would say circular is not the main point of it. European traffic signage does not rely on words for immediate control functions - and MUTCD spells out everything. I suspect that European signage was developed under assumption that drivers do not have to be literate, and memorizing some pictograms is relatively easy. Sort of pointless by now...

There is a book by Martin Krampen (in German) that deals with the early history of European signing systems.  Belt-and-braces solutions combining symbols and word messages on the same sign panel were actually quite common--Italy and Britain had such systems, for example.  The British experience when transitioning from a mixed to symbol-heavy system in the mid-1960's (pre-Worboys signs to modern Worboys signs) was that sign comprehension immediately went down.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Another problem with importing the red circle is that a circular blank is used in Vienna Convention signage for regulatory signage. So putting a speed of 50 on a red circle has legal force behind it.

Under US traffic laws, the equivalent sign is, of course, a white rectangle. So to import this practice and have it have legal meaning, you'd end up with:

Which doesn't really help much.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 30, 2018, 04:43:43 PM
Another problem with importing the red circle is that a circular blank is used in Vienna Convention signage for regulatory signage. So putting a speed of 50 on a red circle has legal force behind it.

Under US traffic laws, the equivalent sign is, of course, a white rectangle. So to import this practice and have it have legal meaning, you'd end up with:

Which doesn't really help much.

One of the things that crossed my mind at some point... If US eventually goes to significantly different approach in terms of speed limits and their enforcement  (making them more realistic and serious, not a +10-20MPH speeding on a road underposted by 15 MPH), a new type of speed limit sign would be needed to replace old and heavily compromised type...

myosh_tino

Quote from: kalvado on January 30, 2018, 05:44:44 PM
One of the things that crossed my mind at some point... If US eventually goes to significantly different approach in terms of speed limits and their enforcement  (making them more realistic and serious, not a +10-20MPH speeding on a road underposted by 15 MPH), a new type of speed limit sign would be needed to replace old and heavily compromised type...

Why would you need a new type of sign?
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

kalvado

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 30, 2018, 02:32:30 AM

Miosh Tino had a good comparison of 3 60x48 road signs:
Quote from: Miosh Tino

LEFT: Oregon SPEED sign (60x48, 30-inch Series C digits)
MIDDLE: California SPEED LIMIT sign (60x48, 20-inch Series E or E(M) digits)
RIGHT: FHWA/SHSM SPEED LIMIT sign (60x48, 16-inch Series E digits

And just noticed something that can be placed to the right of this list

Hurricane Rex

Got permission from PDX Wanderer to use his picture here: Idaho version of Speed limit 80, notice the series D digits instead of the series C or E used on the previous examples yet everything is still visable from a distance (not seen here). Estimating 24-inch letters.

Quote from: PDX Wanderer
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 08, 2018, 01:35:15 AM
Idaho version of Speed limit 80, notice the series D digits instead of the series C or E used on the previous examples ... Estimating 24-inch letters.

Quote from: PDX Wanderer

Interesting.  So I went and found a higher resolution photo of an Idaho 80 MPH speed limit sign and using "pixel math" I came up with this drawing with the following specs...

5.625" -- Top Margin
8.000" -- "SPEED" and "LIMIT" (Series E)
4.125" -- Space between SPEED and LIMIT
5.250" -- Space between LIMIT and Digits
24.00" -- Numerals (Series D)
5.000" -- Bottom Margin

Here are all 4 signs side-by-side-by-side-by-side (OR-ID-CA-FHWA)...

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

mrsman

I think the OR sign should become the national standard.  The numbers are big and easy to see.  We aren't ready in this country to accept a European standard of just a number as it can be easily confused with a highway number, especially in states where the highway symbol is just a rectangle.

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on April 05, 2018, 06:35:51 PM
I think the OR sign should become the national standard.  The numbers are big and easy to see.  We aren't ready in this country to accept a European standard of just a number as it can be easily confused with a highway number, especially in states where the highway symbol is just a rectangle.

I've only seen the Oregon style speed limit sign once in another state. It's a school speed limit sign in Puyallup, Washington (still up as of today). No idea if it's legally enforceable:

vdeane

It's also worth noting that even in Oregon, "Speed XX" and "Speed Limit XX" mean two different things.  It is not illegal in and of itself to go faster than a "Speed XX" sign.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

J N Winkler

I would like to see someone try the "sign didn't use FHWA series" argument before a judge.  It should work, but I know of no previous case where it has been tried.  The "No Stoping" argument did work when it was tried, probably back in the 1930's.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

DaBigE

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 08, 2018, 07:58:05 PM
I would like to see someone try the "sign didn't use FHWA series" argument before a judge.  It should work, but I know of no previous case where it has been tried.  The "No Stoping" argument did work when it was tried, probably back in the 1930's.

Speaking of "No Stopping"...wonder if someone could get their citation thrown out if they run this red light?
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jakeroot

I doubt many people are even aware that all road signs have the same font, never mind that agencies are required to use a specific font.

I would quite like to see the Canadian style "yield at roundabout" sign used, but because it's not an official road sign, there would be no obligation on the part of drivers to observe it as an actual yield sign. Hence why basically everything that's put up on the road has to be to some sort of FHWA standard (and is why I don't believe the sign I posted above is an actual, enforceable speed limit sign).

Quote from: DaBigE on April 08, 2018, 10:53:42 PM

Speaking of "No Stopping"...wonder if someone could get their citation thrown out if they run this red light?

I think that goes in the category of "signs that should not be posted where they have been".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.