Most "frightening" road you have driven on?

Started by CapeCodder, January 26, 2018, 10:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: jakeroot on February 06, 2018, 01:46:55 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 05, 2018, 01:43:30 PM
At their age they are old enough to know right from wrong.

At 18 you can assume that. But not before then. There's a reason that 18 is an important age.

The only time I can see children being tried as adults is for aggravated murder. The Marshall County shooting would count, but the Flint overpass rock-tossing incident would not (since there was no intent to murder).
How a suspect is tried should be based solely on the severity of the crime they're accused of committing.  The age of the suspect is largely irrelevant in the context of the actual crime.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

TheCatalyst31

Quote from: catsynth on February 02, 2018, 02:27:45 PM
The first time I drove CA 17 it was pretty frightening, but I quickly got used to it as it was part of my commuting route for about 10 months (yikes!).  CA 9 between Santa Cruz and Felton was somewhat unnerving for me, too.

In the same general area, the southern end of CA 35. Very narrow, curvy, mountainous, and plenty of drop-offs with no guardrail.

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman on February 07, 2018, 10:24:06 AM

At 18 you can assume that. But not before then. There's a reason that 18 is an important age.

The only time I can see children being tried as adults is for aggravated murder. The Marshall County shooting would count, but the Flint overpass rock-tossing incident would not (since there was no intent to murder).
How a suspect is tried should be based solely on the severity of the crime they're accused of committing.  The age of the suspect is largely irrelevant in the context of the actual crime.
They also threw a tire from the Farrand Road overpass, 3 miles north of the Dodge Road overpass from which they tossed the rocks.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on February 07, 2018, 11:22:49 AM
Quote from: catsynth on February 02, 2018, 02:27:45 PM
The first time I drove CA 17 it was pretty frightening, but I quickly got used to it as it was part of my commuting route for about 10 months (yikes!).  CA 9 between Santa Cruz and Felton was somewhat unnerving for me, too.

In the same general area, the southern end of CA 35. Very narrow, curvy, mountainous, and plenty of drop-offs with no guardrail.

I'll probably be checking that one next month now that it's reopened.  35 and 36 are the only single lane stretches of state highway I haven't driven.  I'd like to see how it stacks up to 4 over Ebbetts Pass and Pacific Grade Summit.

jakeroot

I agree, but only to a point. A child's mind is just that: a child's mind. There are certain things that we can expect of them, but one of those things is not to learn very early on all what is right and wrong in our world (and what is legal and not). Children should know that murder is not okay, but not all murder is cold and calculated. There are four degrees of murder. Children should only be tried as adults under the first three degrees. The fourth is involuntary, under which there was never an intent to kill.

After reading a bit, I discovered that the Flint teens are being charged with second-degree murder. I completely disagree with this decision. Fourth degree makes more sense, unless there's substantial evidence to suggest the teens knew they'd kill someone. With that in mind, I'm fine with the teens being charged as adults as long as the second-degree murder charge sticks. Since, if they really did try and kill someone, they should be served as adults. They should know that killing is not okay.

Strider

Somebody was killed, so intent or not.. it is a murder when you kill someone, so it does make sense to try them as an adults.

jakeroot

Quote from: Strider on February 07, 2018, 08:26:07 PM

Somebody was killed, so intent or not.. it is a murder when you kill someone, so it does make sense to try them as an adults.

Read my post above:

Quote from: jakeroot on February 07, 2018, 06:46:20 PM
There are four degrees of murder. Children should only be tried as adults under the first three degrees. The fourth is involuntary, under which there was never an intent to kill.

Driving drunk and killing your friend is not the same as plotting the death of someone, and then carrying it out.

I am massively off-topic at this point. Mods should consider moving the Flint I-75 Overpass Incident discussion to its own thread.

dvferyance

US 40 in Colorado by far. Lots of curves and given the high elevations ran into a hail storm there. Had to pull over I was afraid the trucks were going to slide and run me off the road.

I personally 100% agree, and what's so significant about the arbitrary age of 18 anyway?

Although yes, we have drifted very far off topic.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

US 81

Development of the nucleus accumbens occurs in the early teens, years earlier than that of the prefrontal cortex - incomplete until mid twenties. Teenage brains have a biologic predisposition to seek pleasure and reward and an impaired ability to judge or anticipate consequences. No, this does not excuse risk-taking behavior, but this biologic truth should be relevant to how the legal system handles these offenders.

Max Rockatansky

I linked over one of my blog posts about the Nacimineto-Fergusson Road on the Historic California Highways Facebook page.  Apparently it is one of the more dreaded roads in California given some of the conjecture that has been discussed due to the sheer cliffs and single lane. 

Strider

Quote from: jakeroot on February 07, 2018, 08:46:44 PM

Read my post above:

There are four degrees of murder. Children should only be tried as adults under the first three degrees. The fourth is involuntary, under which there was never an intent to kill.

Driving drunk and killing your friend is not the same as plotting the death of someone, and then carrying it out.

I am massively off-topic at this point. Mods should consider moving the Flint I-75 Overpass Incident discussion to its own thread.

And they can still charge you for anything related or similar to murder if they want to. It is all depending on each state. Don't like it? Become a politician and change the law.

odditude

VA SR 193 (Georgetown Pike) heading WB from the Beltway during a summer nighttime thunderstorm. Might seem a bit pedestrian compared to the others, but I couldn't see a damn thing and it was utterly nerve-wracking.

triplemultiplex

Just remember that treating teenagers as adults in court started because of racist policies toward gang affiliated crimes starting in the 1980s.  It was an action based entirely on emotion in an era when white folks were freaking themselves out about crimes committed by black teenagers.  (Some things never change)

By prosecuting them as adults, they could be put in prison for longer, thus placating the fascist law and order crowd.  Now it's become normalized even though there is nothing to support the idea that society benefits by locking away immature humans for longer periods of time.  The opposite seems to be true.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hbelkins

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 15, 2018, 12:52:09 PM
Just remember that treating teenagers as adults in court started because of racist policies toward gang affiliated crimes starting in the 1980s.  It was an action based entirely on emotion in an era when white folks were freaking themselves out about crimes committed by black teenagers.  (Some things never change)

By prosecuting them as adults, they could be put in prison for longer, thus placating the fascist law and order crowd.  Now it's become normalized even though there is nothing to support the idea that society benefits by locking away immature humans for longer periods of time.  The opposite seems to be true.

Not around here, it didn't.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

AZ 88....pretty bad ass little highway on the Apache Trail.  I suspect you're so far out there that juvenile justice courts would be the last thing on anyone's mind while on a single lane dirt trek. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2018, 01:14:47 PM

Not around here, it didn't.
And why? How? Kentucky just wants to lock up kids?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SD Mapman

Quote from: ET21 on February 07, 2018, 10:17:57 AM
Needles Highway in the Black Hills (SD Route 87)
Nah man, SD 87's tame. Mine is OR 46 going to the Oregon Caves National Monument... yay for curvy mountain roads with no guardrail!

Other than that the only time I've had white knuckles while driving is in the middle of a blizzard on I-90 west of Wall... but weather-related crap almost deserves its own thread.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SD Mapman on February 15, 2018, 09:32:40 PM
Quote from: ET21 on February 07, 2018, 10:17:57 AM
Needles Highway in the Black Hills (SD Route 87)
Nah man, SD 87's tame. Mine is OR 46 going to the Oregon Caves National Monument... yay for curvy mountain roads with no guardrail!

Other than that the only time I've had white knuckles while driving is in the middle of a blizzard on I-90 west of Wall... but weather-related crap almost deserves its own thread.

SD 87 is way too slow and isn't really cliff-side all that much.  Yes it is extremely narrow in the one-lane granite cuts but I wouldn't call that frightening, more fascinating.

Super Mateo

Ah, reciting the left's rhetoric; bonus points for playing the race card.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Super Mateo on February 16, 2018, 09:28:17 AM
Ah, reciting the left's rhetoric; bonus points for playing the race card.

Vise versa, dude.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Flint1979

I think driving on Blind 35 in the middle of the night in the middle of winter would be a frightening road to drive on.

DevalDragon

Quote from: jakeroot on February 07, 2018, 08:46:44 PM

Read my post above:

No - the latter is FIRST degree murder.

This fits the textbook definition of second degree murder - "any intentional murder with malice aforethought, but is not premeditated or planned."

Throwing rocks off an overpass at moving traffic is malicious. Teenagers should know the difference between right and wrong and held accountable for their actions.

drrosenrosen

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 01, 2018, 06:24:08 PM
Mount Washington auto road.

Second this one. Without a doubt, the most terrifying road I've driven on or seen IRL.

Flint1979

Quote from: drrosenrosen on February 25, 2018, 07:01:37 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 01, 2018, 06:24:08 PM
Mount Washington auto road.

Second this one. Without a doubt, the most terrifying road I've driven on or seen IRL.
I think for the simple fact that there are no guardrails in places that should have guardrails. If an accident happened on that road a car could be sent sliding down the mountain.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.