News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roads with a directional prefix that does not have the other direction

Started by roadman65, January 27, 2018, 07:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Many places you have East Main Street  accompanied by a West Main, or a South First Street  opposite North First Street etc.

How about a S. Washington Avenue but no N. Washington Avenue.  In Piscataway, NJ you have a Washington Avenue that becomes South Washington Avenue.  In other words an extension of a street that has a directional prefix, but the main part is direction less.

In Elizabeth, NJ you have  a Broad Street that has both a North and a South Broad at either end.  Of course its not noticeable due to it being a short run and both North and South Broad Streets are longer in length than plain Broad.

In Newark, NJ you have a Market and a West Market Street, but no East Market anywhere. 

It seems that NJ only has situations like these as most places have a zero base for the address numbers where then the direction prefix changes.  Of course NJ has them as Linden and Rahway use the Amtrak Corridor as the base line, but since I moved to Florida I have seen mainly a N-S and E-W.  Even in Kissimmee, FL there is a North Main, but no South Main only because Emmet Street is the N-S base and Main Street only exists north of Emmet Street.  However, for that sake we can say that North Main is part of the city address grid and its given that prefix to keep continuity.

Are there places you can think of where a named street exists without a directional prefix, but a sole direction one either as an extension or in another part of the city or county that warrants it for better identification?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

All Milwaukee streets have a directional prefix, whether or not there is a section of road with the opposing prefix.

paulthemapguy

Chicago has a whole ton of streets that are "West ___ Street" but with no eastern counterpart.  The meridian of 0E/W is State Street, which runs through downtown.  This means the "East Side" of the city doesn't exist.  The shoreline of Lake Michigan runs roughly NNW-SSE, so the north side of the city has no streets east of the State St. meridian.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

hbelkins

US 6N and US 9W.

Nevermind, you said prefix, not suffix.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Finrod

In Midtown Atlanta: Peachtree Street and West Peachtree Street.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

MNHighwayMan

Every east/west street in Des Moines that crosses the dividing line is like this. The west side doesn't have a direction, while the east side is "E [whatever] St/Ave/etc."

Only exception is MLK Jr Parkway, which does have a W MLK Jr Pkwy, because that road also has a north/south section which is simply titled without a directional prefix.

Hurricane Rex

Do neighborhood's roads count? If so, just pick a street in Sherwood and you don't get the other direction.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

GaryV

Eth

Quote from: Finrod on January 28, 2018, 02:26:20 AM
In Midtown Atlanta: Peachtree Street and West Peachtree Street.

A couple more Atlanta examples:

Marietta St (which carried US 41 before 1953) turns into West Marietta St at the junction with Howell Mill Rd.

Highland Ave is an east-west street just east of downtown. At its west end, it transitions into Baker St as it crosses I-75/85, but at its east end just past Freedom Pkwy, it turns to the northeast (and later due north) and becomes North Highland Ave, which is a good bit longer than the unprefixed version.

Otto Yamamoto

Every numbered street south of 161 St in Bronx is 'east' without a correspondent 'west' street; likewise in Manhattan, all streets are 'west' north of 142 St.

P00I

ftballfan

Grand Rapids has Paris Ave and East Paris Ave. The kicker is that the roads are parallel and not particularly close to each other (East Paris is a major road between Cascade and 28th St while Paris is a residential street about 4.5 miles west of East Paris)

US 89

The north half of a Denver north-south street has no prefix, but the south half does, so there is a "Broadway"  and a "S Broadway" .

GaryV

Quote from: ftballfan on January 28, 2018, 11:43:28 AM
Grand Rapids has Paris Ave and East Paris Ave. The kicker is that the roads are parallel and not particularly close to each other (East Paris is a major road between Cascade and 28th St while Paris is a residential street about 4.5 miles west of East Paris)

Like several streets in Grand Rapids, Paris Ave exists in several distinct locations.  They're all in line, but don't connect.  There are both Paris Ave SE and Paris Ave NE sections.

East Paris, on the other hand, is named for the old Paris Twp (now city of Kentwood).  It's interesting that it's not the eastern boundary of the township; that is Patterson Ave.  And East Paris runs north/south.

Jardine

Taking Iowa 127 east from I-29 about a mile and a 1/2 takes you by a county gravel road, heading north from a T intersection.  It's named East Kelly Avenue.

There is no North, West, or South Kelly, nor even just a plain Kelly Avenue, just the one labelled East.

And it runs N-S.

bzakharin

Also in NJ, the road that runs along the Edison/Woodbridge border turns from Wood Ave to Wood Ave South at Middlesex Turnpike. You wouldn't know it as it's all signed as Wood Ave, but Middlesex Turnpike is the zero point, so the addresses repeat on the two segments.

cl94

North Broadway in Columbus, OH. It's an E-W street. And just to be confusing, it is West North Broadway west of High St and East North Broadway east of there.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

lepidopteran

In Brooklyn, NY, there's a numbered grid of West nth Streets that only goes up to 17th, while the grid of East nth Streets goes all the way up to 108th!  So that's a lot of E with no W.  To be fair, the counterpart roads are not connected directly, as they are on separate grids.  Please note that there is also a main grid of "plain" nth Streets, and another numbered set with "Bay" before them.  Confused yet?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.