News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hanging Ends

Started by CapeCodder, January 31, 2018, 11:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 24, 2018, 09:06:31 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 24, 2018, 09:03:40 PM
I'm just thinking that they could put it as an unsigned state highway to the border and put a No Outlet sign up as well.

That's probably the most likely outcome of any potential changes (not that I think any of them are probable in the near future), but the CR-16 junction a mile south of the border would make using a No Outlet sign incorrect (where 75 and 171 currently intersect–if you meant the CR-16 junction, then yes, that's fine.)

IMO, I currently see no practical reason to change things as they are. I'm pretty sure MnDOT has done all that I would do: put a sign on US-75 near the MN-171 junction noting that US-75 has no Canada crossing.
Yeah I was thinking of that before I even posted my last reply. Put it just north of CR-16 which swings back to US-75 anyway just north of Humboldt. Or like you said they could put up a sign saying, "No Access to Canada."

webny99

Quote from: cl94 on April 24, 2018, 09:02:16 PM
Alrighty, here's an exhaustive list for New York.

Thanks for the list! Couple of things here:

- If you're including NY 182, then you have to include I-190, no?
- I-781, for all practical purposes, ends at US-11. Unless I'm mistaken, it's not signed east of there.
- NY 590 no longer ends at Culver Rd - it ends at Titus Ave - but I guess it still counts either way.

And on a note not directly related to the list, Watkins Glen has way too many contenders for a town of its size. None of them should be state maintained given their lack of importance (and lack of volume) :paranoid:

cl94

Doesn't matter if I-781 isn't signed east of US 11. It ends at the gate.
I-190 ends at ON 405 at the border. NY 182 doesn't go onto the bridge (and even if it did, the ON side is an unnumbered road).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

djlynch

Quote from: txstateends on April 24, 2018, 12:15:50 PM
The only TX primary routes I know of that 'hang' are:
* TX 4 (ends at a park beach between South Padre Island and the mouth of the Rio Grande)
* TX 5 (currently ends in Allen at the Greenville Ave./Exchange Pkwy. intersection--a product of several truncations over the years)
* TX 25 (ends near the Red River north of Electra; no bridge connection across to OK, just a nondescript left turn to a county road)
* TX 186 (ends at the shore of the Gulf in Port Mansfield, a block east of its intersection with FM 606, which itself 'hangs' on the north end of town)
* TX 289 (continues as a county road that ends on the south shore of Lake Texoma)

A few more...
Military bases: TX 358 at the gates of Corpus Christi NAS, TX 195 at Fort Hood
Three on the shores of Matagorda Bay: TX 172 at a park along the coast in Olivia, TX 316 near Indianola, and TX 185 a couple blocks short of the beach in Port O'Connor
Technically, TX 118 and US 385 at the Big Bend National Park boundary
And then there's the de facto dangle in the middle of TX 87

Given the number of old routes that are being decommissioned because cities want to do more with them than TxDOT can afford, I think there may be a couple dangling state routes somewhere (there certainly are for loops, spurs and FM/RM roads.) Possibly SH 80 in San Marcos is among them. There was a weird period for a time after RM 12 was relocated to bypass the city where the signs directed you as far as the west side of the Texas State campus and then disappeared.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: 1 on February 08, 2018, 08:27:55 AM
I have a database of all numbered routes in New England.

I tend to count roads that end at a grade-separated limited access highway junction but the road continues beyond as a hanging ending.  However, I don't count those where the roadway continues beyond an at-grade junction with a numbered route.  (Examples: CT 66, CT 174, CT 175, CT 287, and CT 314 west ends, and CT 218 south end).  I also don't count CT 64 or CT 154 because the ramps to I-84 and CT 9, respectively, are part of the mainline route.

Some examples of additional ones I count in CT:

US 5 (South end continues beyond I-91 as State St, which was once part of US 5)
CT 10 (south end continues as Ella T Grasso Blvd beyond I-95 to Kimberly Ave.)
CT 70 (Unless we count SR's as a legitimate continuation.  West end becomes SR 801 at I-84)
CT 94 (west end continues beyond CT 2 as Hebron Ave to Main St.)
CT 122 (as in CT 70; Sounth end at I-95 becomes SR 745)
CT 155 (East end continues beyond CT 9 as Randolph Rd to Saybrook Rd)
CT 163 (North end becomes SR 612 north of CT 2)
CT 171 (West end continues beyond I-84  as Holland Rd and becomes Mashapaug Rd a few feet later at MA border)
CT 172 (South end continues beyond I-84 as Georges Hill Rd)
CT 254 (South end continues beyond CT 8 as SR 848)
CT 322 (East end continues beyond I-691 as West Main St; the numbered route once did as well when it was part of US 6A)

Also, do we count NY CR's as a continuation?  CT 41, CT 341, and CT 361 all become Dutchess CR's at the NY border.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

sparker

Quote from: catsynth on February 02, 2018, 02:33:57 PM
CA 3 in Montague (east of Yreka) is a baffling one.

That situation dates back to the days when the Southern Pacific Siskiyou line between Weed, CA and Springfield, OR was (and is, under different ownership) routed via Montague rather than the Siskiyou county seat of Yreka for topological reasons.   Since in those days there was daily passenger service over this line, in the winter access between the two towns was considered vital, so LRN 82 (unsigned before '64) was extended east from Yreka to Montague to ensure that a state-plowed road was available to reach the Montague depot.  For a brief moment in the '30's, the thought with the Division of Highways was to eventually extend the route east to US 97 in the Mt. Hebron area.  But that never materialized, so the state maintenance ended at the east town limits of Montague, where CA 3 terminates today.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the most obvious "hanging ends" in CA -- that of CA 59 near Snelling.  The idea was to terminate at the unconstructed CA 65 "Eastside" corridor near the historic endpoint; seeing as that corridor is unlikely to ever reach fruition, CA 59 will continue to be as such unless Caltrans reverses its longstanding reluctance to adopt any more surface mileage and assumes mainenance of county road J59 north from there to at least CA 132 but preferably CA 108/120 (and given recent trends within that agency, the chances of that happening are slim & none!).

Bickendan

OR 104
OR 131
ORH 182
OR 540
OR 241
OR 240
OR 501
ORH 180
ORH 120
OR 224
multiple instances of ORH 100
OR 227
OR 260
OR 46
OR 380
ORH 372
ORH 429
OR 422S
OR 70
ORH 350
ORH 351
ORH 413
ORH 410
OR 205
ORH 222 (twice)
ORH 200
OR 541

KEVIN_224

Of all the hanging ends in CT...does the unfinished Route 11 in Salem count?

Flint1979

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 25, 2018, 01:50:12 AM
It's a temporary ending and it ends at a state highway so I dunno if it counts or not.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on April 25, 2018, 12:35:54 AM
Quote from: catsynth on February 02, 2018, 02:33:57 PM
CA 3 in Montague (east of Yreka) is a baffling one.

That situation dates back to the days when the Southern Pacific Siskiyou line between Weed, CA and Springfield, OR was (and is, under different ownership) routed via Montague rather than the Siskiyou county seat of Yreka for topological reasons.   Since in those days there was daily passenger service over this line, in the winter access between the two towns was considered vital, so LRN 82 (unsigned before '64) was extended east from Yreka to Montague to ensure that a state-plowed road was available to reach the Montague depot.  For a brief moment in the '30's, the thought with the Division of Highways was to eventually extend the route east to US 97 in the Mt. Hebron area.  But that never materialized, so the state maintenance ended at the east town limits of Montague, where CA 3 terminates today.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the most obvious "hanging ends" in CA -- that of CA 59 near Snelling.  The idea was to terminate at the unconstructed CA 65 "Eastside" corridor near the historic endpoint; seeing as that corridor is unlikely to ever reach fruition, CA 59 will continue to be as such unless Caltrans reverses its longstanding reluctance to adopt any more surface mileage and assumes mainenance of county road J59 north from there to at least CA 132 but preferably CA 108/120 (and given recent trends within that agency, the chances of that happening are slim & none!).

See that's the thing with CA 59, the continuation Signed County Route is so good that it fits pretty well with the rest of state route system.  I think we've discussed that on CA 59/J59 thread that the county route portion is one of the best in the entire state. 

What about hanging ends that were created due to unbuilt routings like CA 180, CA 168, CA 190, CA 211, CA 169, CA 203, and CA 178?  Each one of them has a pretty interesting concept of what they were intended to be:

CA 180:  More than likely would have used Onion Valley Road to reach what was CA 7 until Kings Canyon National Park was created.

CA 168:  Was briefly looked at as the Piute Pass Highway which would have utilized Kaiser Pass Road to connect the two gapped segments today.

CA 190:  Probably the only realistic Trans-Sierra Route left not to be built via low portion of the Kern River Canyon.

CA 211:  Intended to be the northern most segment of CA 1 which would connect via the Lost Coast.

CA 169:  Intended to connect through a reservation but never happened.

CA 203:  Briefly explored as a Trans-Sierra Highway via the San Joaquin River Canyon.

CA 178:  Long proposed to cross the Panamint Range south of Death Valley.

Other I didn't think of was CA 89, 41, 120, 140, CA 198, and 146.  CA 41 and CA 140 dead end in Yosemite National Park, CA 198 ends at the start of the Generals Highway in Sequoia National Park, while CA 146 has two segments that dead end in Pinnacles National Park.  CA 89 and CA 120 have maintenance gaps in Lassen Volcanic National Park and Yosemite which creates a hanging end. 

MNHighwayMan

Now, I'm going to go away from examples and posit a question about general road philosophy:

What, in particular, is wrong with a numbered highway not ending at another numbered highway?

It seems, at least to me, from this thread, that a number of us roadgeeks find something objectionable about numbered highways ending on their own. But, I ask: what's the problem with that? Sometimes, the importance of a corridor doesn't end at another highway. Sometimes it ends at a boat ramp on the Atlantic coast, like US-421. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that–that's just how it happens to be. Sure, it's interesting (hence this thread), but it seems like quite a few people find this condition to be unacceptable, or that its occurrence is something wrong with the system that should be fixed.

webny99

I'm of the belief that all numbered routes should go somewhere, and actually end at a road (preferably numbered) that can also take them somewhere else. Hanging ends suggest that something is incomplete. In true wilderness, such as in Northern Canada, this is acceptable. In the continental US, this is not really acceptable in most cases.

NY 14, for example, which dead-ends in Sodus Point, does not need to be a state route north of NY 104. It can become a county route, which can end at Lake Road (another county route), and the true dead end should not have a number.

To put it more generally, the "status" assigned to a route should reflect its strategic importance. So if a road is serving local traffic, has no outlet, etc., it should not really be part of the larger inter/intra - route system. Save those for long-distance and or thru-traffic routes that a significant portion the traveling public can actually use.

Eth

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 25, 2018, 08:38:50 AM
Now, I'm going to go away from examples and posit a question about general road philosophy:

What, in particular, is wrong with a numbered highway not ending at another numbered highway?

It seems, at least to me, from this thread, that a number of us roadgeeks find something objectionable about numbered highways ending on their own. But, I ask: what's the problem with that? Sometimes, the importance of a corridor doesn't end at another highway. Sometimes it ends at a boat ramp on the Atlantic coast, like US-421. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that–that's just how it happens to be. Sure, it's interesting (hence this thread), but it seems like quite a few people find this condition to be unacceptable, or that its occurrence is something wrong with the system that should be fixed.

If it's actually ending at something important like the ocean, sure, no problem. As an example, truncating US 80 to Savannah just because no other numbered highway goes out to Tybee Island would be silly. But some hanging ends just don't make any sense, like, say, the north end of MD 119, which you could easily extend less than a mile to end at any of three other numbered routes instead of just ending it at an unremarkable suburban intersection.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 25, 2018, 03:43:00 AM
It's a temporary ending and it ends at a state highway so I dunno if it counts or not.

It's now a permanent ending, as ConnDOT officially cancelled the extension.  I wouldn't count it because it ends at an at-grade intersection with CT 82.  If we did, then we'd have to count CT 78's west end as a hanging ending, along with other cancelled expressway endings (CT 9 north end, I-291 west end, CT 3 north end, I-384 east end, CT 20 east end, CT 40 north end)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Flint1979

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 25, 2018, 11:35:09 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 25, 2018, 03:43:00 AM

It's now a permanent ending, as ConnDOT officially cancelled the extension.  I wouldn't count it because it ends at an at-grade intersection with CT 82.  If we did, then we'd have to count CT 78's west end as a hanging ending, along with other cancelled expressway endings (CT 9 north end, I-291 west end, CT 3 north end, I-384 east end, CT 20 east end, CT 40 north end)
I think I can see why it wasn't extended south. Looking at Google Maps it would have ran directly into a residential neighborhood. I wouldn't count it even without it being temporary since it ends at CT-82.

txstateends

Quote from: Eth on April 25, 2018, 09:34:35 AM

If it's actually ending at something important like the ocean, sure, no problem. As an example, truncating US 80 to Savannah just because no other numbered highway goes out to Tybee Island would be silly. But some hanging ends just don't make any sense, like, say, the north end of MD 119, which you could easily extend less than a mile to end at any of three other numbered routes instead of just ending it at an unremarkable suburban intersection.

It's not necessarily bad, it just feels or seems more unusual.  Most numbered roads go somewhere, if only a connection to another numbered road.  The FMs/RMs that just stop out in the sticks somewhere have that look like the state had to stop because it ran out of $$$ for the project.  Even seeing them on a map, you might think, "Ok, where's the rest of it?"
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

wxfree

I don't think it's inherently a bad thing for a numbered highway to end at a place that isn't a numbered highway, but I do think that overall there is, as there should be, an impression that numbered highways go somewhere.  Another highway, a city, a coast, or some other kind of destination can be fine places to end a highway.  In general, I think that the higher the class of highway the more important it is that it end at a suitable place, because the more important it will be that that each segment of the highway perform a function worthy of its classification.  For example, an Interstate should probably end at another Interstate or in a major city, or at an international border with a major crossing.

I listed example of Farm to Market Roads based on what I thought made them good examples, such as length and isolation from the rest of the road system.  There are, however, many FM roads with isolated ends.  Just within 30 miles of my location I can think of 9.  This is the lowest class of state road, less likely to be used by through travelers who may not know how the road ends.  In many cases, FM roads end at a county line, generally one in a more rural county ends at the boundary with a more urban county.  I always thought of that as being extra help for the rural county, which may be more likely to have lower-quality county roads, while the more urban county is more likely to have roads that are at least paved.  I think that's okay for an agricultural road system (or however a state identifies its lowest-grade highway system).  It isn't as useful for long-distance drivers but can decrease the mileage rural residents have to drive on slow gravel roads.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

formulanone

To pick up where you left off.

The other day, I drove Mississippi Highway 14 a little further west than I where needed to turn (forgot to leave it at MS-12, and continue on that route), and it stopped in the small hamlet of Ebeneezer. To which I said: "Aw, crap." when I saw the END STATE MAINTENANCE sign. Although it had three paved roads radiating out of that end, none of them had any posted names or numbers. And of course, no cell phone service.

Fortunately, heading north from that point at least put me back to MS-17 on a serviceable route, after about 10-12 minutes. I'm sure many of us have had moments like these, but it's an example why there's a greater confidence in knowing it connects to something else, save a proper end near a body of water or other physical limitation.

Max Rockatansky

Some come to mind for Arizona off the top of my head:

AZ 238:  If I recall correctly this ends near Mobile and the Maricopa County maintained portion continues to Gila Bend.

AZ 95:  Turns into a non-state highway at the California state line.

AZ 99:  Ends suddenly south of Winslow but the road continues to AZ 260.

AZ 288:  Ends in Young but the road continues to AZ 260.

AZ 473:  Ends at Hawley Lake.

AZ 273:  Ends suddenly south of AZ 261 but the road continues.

AZ 373:  Ends in Greer

AZ 564:  Ends at Navajo National Monument.

AZ 366:  Ends near the summit of Mount Graham.

AZ 266:  Ends near a state prison.

AZ 181:  Ends at Chircahua National Monument.

AZ 83:  Ends at Parker Canyon Lake.

AZ 289:  Ends near Pena Blanca Lake and a ghost town called Ruby.

AZ 386:  Ends at Kitt Peak.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Charles2 on February 04, 2018, 07:35:22 PM
Quote from: jdb1234 on February 02, 2018, 02:45:04 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 31, 2018, 04:54:08 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 31, 2018, 01:05:23 PM
If we're talking about the route having to end at another state route, US route, or Interstate, then here are a few from Alabama:
AL 255 is technically "hanging" on both ends. It's southern terminus is at Gate 9 for Redstone Arsenal and it's current northern terminus is Bob Wade Lane on the north side of Huntsville.

AL 281 ends at two unpaved roads and a parking lot in the middle of Talladega National Forrest.

AL 101 ends at CR 460 in Lawrence County, AL. The road had originally been AL 24, but it was rerouted to the north when the road got widened though AL 101 was never truncated to match this change.

AL 62 is a rather infamous example of one, with the west end being at a locked gate for a long-closed factory (especially since the road got state route status after said factory closed).

Other states also have a few state routes that end at the Alabama State Line, but don't have an AL state route on the other side:
GA 301's northern terminus at the AL State Line is CR 90 in Jackson County, AL.

TN 121's southern end at the AL State Line is Winchester Road (unsigned CR 65) in Madison County, AL.

Likewise, TN 274's southern end at the AL State Line is Old Railroad Bed Road in Madison County, AL.

TN 98 is another route ending at the AL State Line that leads to a county route, this time CR 89 in Lauderdale County, AL.

In a non-Alabama example: GA 97 ends at the Florida State Line and leads directly into CR 269A in Gadsden County, FL. CR 269A used to be FL 269A years ago, but Florida decommissioned a bunch of these daughter and suffixed routes state wide to be able to build the Interstates in the state without having to go over their state mileage cap.
A few more from Alabama:
AL 182 ends just before a cul-de-sac in the Gulf Shores area.

The west end of AL 180 is at this ferry in Gulf Shores, AL.

AL 193 ends right as you get onto Dauphin Island.

AL 217's western end is at CR 21 in Mobile County, AL.

Also, MS 614's eastern end at the Alabama State Line does not have any state highway it connects to, instead connecting to CR 56 in Mobile County, AL.
Similar situation for MS 612 and CR 7 in Mobile County, AL, along with MS 594 and CR 96.

In a reverse situation, AL 56 ends at the Mississippi state line, but doesn't have a state route that it connects to, though Mississippi signs it as "To AL 56" from US 45 and it appears that the road is state maintained between the two (it lacks a route number of its own though).

If anyone wants to post more routes that end at the Alabama state lines but don't have state routes on the Alabama side, feel free to.
You forgot AL 149 (north end), AL 180 (east end), and AL 271 (north end)

One Florida example
FL 951 ends at the bridge to Marco Island.

Another example in Alabama: AL 235 north in Talladega County.  It ends at the junction of two county roads.
Don't think this one was mentioned yet either: AL 759 ends at city street in Gadsden, AL on its east end.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

TheStranger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 25, 2018, 07:48:56 AM
CA 169:  Intended to connect through a reservation but never happened.

IIRC, this existed as a through route until the mid-1960s after a flood took out the original paved road, and then it was never rebuilt (through the reservation land as noted).
Chris Sampang

SSR_317

There are quite a few in Nevada, though I don't have the time to document there here at present.

roadfro

Quote from: SSR_317 on April 28, 2018, 06:16:16 PM
There are quite a few in Nevada, though I don't have the time to document there here at present.

You're not wrong on that, in either your estimation of quantity or the time to document them...

Many, if not most, of the hanging ends actually have the state highway terminate at an isolated town, a state/federal facility (such as a state prison, state park, national park/recreation area boundary, etc.), or sometimes accessing a mining interest. While towns/sites might have a road leading out in another direction, most often such extending roads are either dirt roads not well maintained, or go in a direction that topography or traffic patterns would make extending the state highway designation pointless.

Examples, listed based on a cursory scan of NDOT's most recent Nevada highway map and my knowledge of Nevada highways. This is not an exhaustive list, and generally does not include routes fully within urban or built-up areas. (Those denoted with a "+" are ones I think could be usefully extended.)
  • SR 116: Ends at Stillwater, accesses Stillwater Nat'l Wildlife Refuge
  • SR 121: Ends en route to Dixie Valley
  • SR 147: Ends at Lake Mead NRA boundary
  • SR 156 & 157: Ends in national forest and ski areas at Mt Charleston
  • SR 161: Ends in Goodsprings
  • SR 165: Ends at Nelson
  • SR 169: Ends south of Overton at Lake Mead NRA boundary
  • SR 170+: Ends just south of Mesquite (hanging due to relinquishments)
  • SR 171+: McCarran Airport connector, ends at airport tunnel. (could be extended if NDOT took over airport access roads from Clark County)
  • SR 172: Hoover Dam Access Road, state highway designation ends at BLM boundary
  • SR 226+: Ends at Jack Creek (could be extended back to SR 225 with paving)
  • SR 227: Ends at Lamoille, accesses Ruby Mountains
  • SR 228: Ends past Jiggs, accesses Ruby Mountains
  • SR 231: Ends at Angel Lake State Park
  • SR 232+: Ends randomly just short of US 93 (possibly relinquished?)
  • SR 265+: Ends at Silver Peak (this one could be extended east if a bit of road were paved)
  • SR 290: Ends at Paradise Valley
  • SR 306+: Ends at Gold Acres (could extend south to meet SR 305)
  • SR 317+: Ends at Elgin (could extend to either I-15 or US 93 if roads were paved)
  • SR 322: Ends at Ursine en route to Spring Valley State Park
  • SR 377: Ends at Manhattan (could be extended, but wouldn't meet another state highway within reason)
  • SR 379: Ends at Duckwater/Duckwater Indian Reservation (could be extended north to US 50 with improvements)
  • SR 399: Ends randomly, serveing a mining area northwest of Lovelock
  • SR 400: Ends near Unionville (could be extended south and west back to I-80)
  • SR 401: Short spur to the Rye Patch area (a dam, reservoir & state recreation area)
  • SR 445: Ends in the Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation
  • SR 447+: Ends in Gerlach, accesses Black Rock Desert (site of Burning Man). (Could be extended over paved county road to CA state line en route to Eagleville & Cedarville, but there's not a corresponding CA highway.)
  • SR 488: Ends at Great Basin Nat'l Park boundary
  • SR 490: Ends outside the state prison near Ely
  • SR 564: Ends at Lake Mead NRA boundary
  • SR 759: Ends at Minden-Tahoe Airport
  • SR 766: Ends at Leeville
  • SR 774: Ends at Gold Point
  • SR 806: Ends north of Battle Mountain serving some mining interests
  • SR 789: Ends somewhat randomly northeast of Golconda serving some mining interests
  • SR 839: Ends en route to Rawhide. (Conceivably could be extended south to US 95 at Hawthorne, but there's little utility for this.)
  • SR 844: Ends at Berlin, accesses Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park
    These are examples I'm baffled by, as the purpose of the highway is not readily apparent to me:
  • SR 293: Ends randomly in Kings River Valley
  • SR 294: Ends randomly in Grass Valley
  • SR 893: Ends in the middle of nowhere, Spring Valley
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

CrystalWalrein

New Jersey (I don’t count roads that end at county routes):

US 30, US 40, and US 322 end at local streets in Atlantic City.

Atlantic CR 638 is essentially an extension of NJ 87 through Brigantine, but it connects to no other county highways and ends at a dead end.

NJ 52, depending on what you look at. Officially it ends at Palen Avenue in Ocean City, but the two streets haven’t been connected since the 9th Street Bridge was rebuilt, and now it’s signed starting from CR 656.

NJ 35 begins at the entrance to Island Beach State Park. (The last cross streets are maintained by Ocean County but belong to an internal route network.)

CR 656 in Ocean City ends abruptly at the Longport-Ocean City Bridge, which along with the connection to NJ 152 are maintained by the Cape May County Bridge Commission with no assigned number within Atlantic County.

NJ 68 ends at Joint Base MDL, but CR 616 is the last cross road.

NJ 163 is a vestige of old US 46. NJ 167 is split in two and both portions dangle off US 9. NJ 324 is isolated from all other routes.

NJ 44 begins under US 322 in Bridgeport, but they don’t directly connect. There is an extension beyond CR 640 near National Park that is utilised as a sliproad from I-295. In National Park, CRs 638, 642, and 644 lead to dead ends; CR 642 is an entrance to Red Bank Battlefield Park.

Cumberland CRs 637 and 643 lead to Fortescue and Money Island respectively; CR 734 is offered as a cut-off of the Y intersection south of Newport. Cumberland CR 601 dead-ends north of Sea Breeze. Cape May CR 655 goes to Reeds Beach, and Cape May CR 640 goes to the US Coast Guard Training Center. CR 561 Alternate ends at Oyster Creek, and Atlantic CR 657 ends at Motts Creek. Atlantic CR 651 ends at a boat landing before a local road continues to Morris Beach. Ocean CR 607 is Long Beach Boulevard along Long Beach Island and is isolated from 600- and 500-series county routes. Ocean CRs 601, 602, and 605 end at boat landings along Barnegat Bay and also do not connect to other 600- or 500-series routes or state routes at one or both ends.

Cumberland CR 610 suddenly ends north of Jones Island, and Dover Township takes over the rest of the road there (and it’s private after that). Cumberland CR 644 suddenly ends at the Atlantic County Line and the connecting road is maintained by Estell Manor. Atlantic CR 644 suddenly ends at the Pleasantville city line, and Atlantic CR 684 ends shortly after CR 662 with the rest of the road taken up by Egg Harbor Township. Ocean CR 608 sticks out from CR 539 at Warren Grove and is apparently only minimally maintained.

Cape May CR 627 goes for just two blocks before ending. The road ostensibly went through South Cape May before that town was washed into the sea. CR 604 ventured there once as well. Atlantic CRs 659 and 661, both unsigned, each connect to only one other county route (615 and 651 respectively), but the road was split by the Garden State Parkway. Ocean CR 642 is split in two and each segment only connects to one other major county or state road.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Bickendan on April 25, 2018, 01:24:00 AM
OR 104
OR 131
ORH 182
OR 540
OR 241
OR 240
OR 501
ORH 180
ORH 120
OR 224
multiple instances of ORH 100
OR 227
OR 260
OR 46
OR 380
ORH 372
ORH 429
OR 422S
OR 70
ORH 350
ORH 351
ORH 413
ORH 410
OR 205
ORH 222 (twice)
ORH 200
OR 541

Might I add: OR 339.  This appears to be an old alignment between Walla Walla and Milton-Freewater.  Washington moved a new WA 215 a few blocks east, picked up by OR 11 on the other side, but Oregon kept the old highway alignment on their side in the state system.  Looking at GSV, you can see a couple of run-down convenience stores on the highway, missing the traffic that use to be there.

I've noticed too that most of 99W through Portland has been deleted from the state system leaving isolated sections such as the Steel Bridge under state jurisdiction.  Look closely at this map for this and other island state route sections not connected to any other state routes. http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Data/Documents/District_dist02b.pdf

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.