News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

One-word regional accents

Started by empirestate, February 08, 2018, 08:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: english si on February 14, 2018, 02:26:41 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 14, 2018, 01:30:39 AMpronounce Leominster with the first syllable sounding like the astrological sign: it's LEMON-ster.
Why did you New Englanders put an extra syllable in what, in proper England, is Lem-ster?  :-D

It's the only city/town name I know of where UK pronunciation, US pronunciation, and naïve phonetic pronunciation are all different.

For example, Worcester MA is pronounced like it is in the UK, while Warwick RI is phonetic.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

abefroman329

Quote from: 1 on February 14, 2018, 02:35:30 PM
Quote from: english si on February 14, 2018, 02:26:41 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 14, 2018, 01:30:39 AMpronounce Leominster with the first syllable sounding like the astrological sign: it's LEMON-ster.
Why did you New Englanders put an extra syllable in what, in proper England, is Lem-ster?  :-D

It's the only city/town name I know of where UK pronunciation, US pronunciation, and naïve phonetic pronunciation are all different.

For example, Worcester MA is pronounced like it is in the UK, while Warwick RI is phonetic.

There's also Durham, NC and Birmingham, AL; the former is pronounced as it is in the UK and the latter is phonetic.

Then there's places like Hartford, CT, which is likely named for Hertford in England, but they spelled it "Hartford" to retain the UK pronunciation by Americans using the phonetic pronunciation.

Brandon

Then we have Charlotte, Michigan, pronounced "sure-LOT" .
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

Only one I can think of is Shabbona IL. Pronounced Shab-ba-na in the area, but Sha-bo-na to anyone outside of the county
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

empirestate

So...have we run out of examples of the original topic then? ;-)

inkyatari

Quote from: ET21 on February 15, 2018, 08:50:24 AM
Only one I can think of is Shabbona IL. Pronounced Shab-ba-na in the area, but Sha-bo-na to anyone outside of the county

In my town, we have the grave of Chief Shabbona, and our middle school is named after him, and we pronounce it the same way.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

empirestate

I suppose on the subject of local pronunciation of place names, that could be an example of a one-word giveaway that someone is not from a particular area. For example, I might be hanging around south-central PA with a group of people, and then one of them will come out and pronounce it as "LAN-caster". :D

(And yes, I've actually heard it that way a number of times from people who claim to be from there!)

tchafe1978

Quote from: empirestate on February 15, 2018, 03:27:19 PM
I suppose on the subject of local pronunciation of place names, that could be an example of a one-word giveaway that someone is not from a particular area. For example, I might be hanging around south-central PA with a group of people, and then one of them will come out and pronounce it as "LAN-caster". :D

(And yes, I've actually heard it that way a number of times from people who claim to be from there!)

Maybe they're from Wisconsin? The small city in Wisconsin named Lancaster IS pronounced LAN-cas-ter.

webny99

Quote from: empirestate on February 15, 2018, 01:56:47 PM
So...have we run out of examples of the original topic then? ;-)

Everything else I can think of is not specific to a certain word, but rather certain vowel sounds in general.

For example, the "ahh" sound made by people from Western Canada when they say words such as "stand".

webny99

Does anyone else say "meeting" as "meed-een"?

Many, if not a majority of, people I know says their "ing's" this way. I think it sounds ugly and make a conscious effort to avoid doing so.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on February 17, 2018, 12:27:27 PM

Many, if not a majority of, people I know says their "ing's" this way. I think it sounds ugly and make a conscious effort to avoid doing so.

No; while I may drop the "g" on an "-ing," if I do it sounds like the word "in" (short "i" sound), not a long "e" sound as in "queen."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 14, 2018, 05:59:22 PM
Then there's places like Hartford, CT, which is likely named for Hertford in England, but they spelled it "Hartford" to retain the UK pronunciation by Americans using the phonetic pronunciation.

And then there's Harford County, MD  that drops the "T"

'
Yeah, I always here it pronounced as LANEkster when I'm in the area. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

empirestate

I don't, but I've heard it often. Of course, we're from Rochester, where all the kids are named Eeandy and Eealex and Meeatt, and they play with rubber beeands, and their dads work at Kodeeak, and their dad's names are Bahb and Rahger and Dahn. Or maybe the work for Xeerahx, or Bausch & Lahmb, and they like to eat white hahts and drink pahp. :-D

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 17, 2018, 02:33:59 PM

'
Yeah, I always here it pronounced as LANEkster when I'm in the area. 

Right; should rhyme with "prankster", in other words.

webny99

Quote from: empirestate on February 17, 2018, 04:37:44 PM

I don't, but I've heard it often. Of course, we're from Rochester, where all the kids are named Eeandy and Eealex and Meeatt, and they play with rubber beeands, and their dads work at Kodeeak, and their dad's names are Bahb and Rahger and Dahn. Or maybe the work for Xeerahx, or Bausch & Lahmb, and they like to eat white hahts and drink pahp. :-D

You're from Rah-chster? Thats awesome, not sure how I never knew that!

I personally think the accent, while definitely existent, is a bit overhyped. Many people I know have at least one parent born elsewhere, so perhaps that plays into in to an extent as well. I certainly don't think the accent is any stronger here than it is, say, in Buffalo.

But yeah, that little blurb made my evening  :rofl:

Brandon

Quote from: webny99 on February 17, 2018, 07:50:34 PM
Quote from: empirestate on February 17, 2018, 04:37:44 PM

I personally think the accent, while definitely existent, is a bit overhyped. Many people I know have at least one parent born elsewhere, so perhaps that plays into in to an extent as well. I certainly don't think the accent is any stronger here than it is, say, in Buffalo.

It's probably much stronger in The Mitten.  You also hear it in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.
For a Michigan version, it's "I'm takin' the pahp bahttles to tha peearty store over on tha service drive for the depahsit."

http://www.michigannative.com/ma_home.shtml
The entire accent, from Rochester to Dubuque, is Inland North, just south and east of North Central.  So, you want a beg with thet?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

webny99

Thats funny, because I notice the Michigan accent. I can pick up on it fairly quickly, and I actually kind of like it!

Obviously, I don't notice the accent much here in Rah-chester. But subjectivity aside, I tend to agree that it's stronger in Michigan than it is here.

"Pahp" is obviously a pretty common one that spans the whole region  :D

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on February 17, 2018, 07:50:34 PM

Oh yes...not born, but bred. And while the accent certainly isn't unique to the city, you hear it plenty from old-timers. (One reliable to way to hear any area's accent was weather radio–back when it still had human announcers.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.