News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Signed Routes that complete a full circle

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 08, 2018, 09:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

What signed routes out there form a complete 360 degree circle?  Obviously this would be something far more common freeway territory with Interstates like I-295 in Jacksonville and I-495 in the D.C.  M-185 on Mackinac Island comes as a state route example of a fully circular route.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Charles2

Another non-freeway example: AL-210 encircles Dothan, AL.

webny99

(I believe) NY 47 was a former example, looping around Rochester using both freeways and surface streets.

US 89

NV 659 (McCarran Blvd) forms an arterial beltway around Reno.

bing101

I-610 in Texas and I-285 in Atlanta area.

GenExpwy

Quote from: webny99 on February 08, 2018, 10:38:29 PM
(I believe) NY 47 was a former example, looping around Rochester using both freeways and surface streets.

I'm quite sure it was a big U. No connection between the north ends.

webny99

Quote from: GenExpwy on February 09, 2018, 04:25:58 AM

I was not even alive during the time period when NY 47 existed  :-P
So, I retract my statement.

ftballfan

Texas has many routes that complete a circle

fillup420

paulthemapguy

Columbus, Ohio has I-270.  San Antonio, Texas has I-410.  Kansas City has I-435.  Indianapolis has I-465.  I-465 used to also encompass the northwest stub currently known as I-865, so at one point, it revolved around the city for even more than 360 degrees.  :-P

Quote from: ftballfan on February 09, 2018, 08:05:04 AM
Texas has many routes that complete a circle

Take a look at the Texas "loop" routes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_state_highway_loops_in_Texas
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

PHLBOS

Prior to the mid-1990s, MA 127 in the Cape Ann area (Gloucester & Rockport) used to be a complete circle.  On a map, the route resembled a balloon with a long string (the Beverly to Gloucester stretch).  Today, with the truncation between MA 128 and Western Ave. (current MA 127), the route now resembles a small opening hook with a long stem.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Henry

I-435 around Kansas City
I-275 around Cincinnati
I-820 around Fort Worth
I-410 around San Antonio
I-440 around Raleigh
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

AR 180 once completed a circle around Mt Sequoyah at Fayetteville, AR before it was decommissioned

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Eth

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 09, 2018, 09:31:06 AM
Take a look at the Texas "loop" routes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_state_highway_loops_in_Texas

Georgia also has a couple of these. The best known is probably GA 10 Loop in Athens, which is almost, but not quite, entirely freeway. I believe GA 1 Loop in Rome is eventually planned to be a full circle, but isn't complete yet. A former example was GA 120 Loop in Marietta; this is now 120 on the south side and 120 Alt on the north side (120 previously went straight through on Roswell St, now partially GA 3 Conn).

vdeane

Does QC 132 count?  It loops around and ends at itself in the GaspĂ© peninsula.  Of course, there is the long tail comprising the rest of the route west to NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

In the "former" category would be MN 100, which originally completed a loop around both Minneapolis and St. Paul.  The western leg is all that remains today.  Parts of what are now (generally going clockwise) I-694, Ramsey CSAH 96, MN 120, I-494, MN 110, and MN 5 made up the loop.

fillup420

Quote from: Henry on February 09, 2018, 10:24:27 AM
I-435 around Kansas City
I-275 around Cincinnati
I-820 around Fort Worth
I-410 around San Antonio
I-440 around Raleigh

I-440 was removed from I-40, so it is no longer a complete circle

oscar

In western Canada, the recently-completed all-freeway AB 216 loop around Edmonton.

Circle Drive around Saskatoon misses out, since part is unnumbered, and two other parts have different route numbers (as best as I can figure out, given the total clusterfork that is route signage in Saskatoon).

Ditto Winnipeg's Perimeter Highway, which has different route numbers for its northern (PTH 101) and southern (Trans-Canada 100) halves.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

US 89

Quote from: fillup420 on February 09, 2018, 09:12:24 PM
Quote from: Henry on February 09, 2018, 10:24:27 AM
I-435 around Kansas City
I-275 around Cincinnati
I-820 around Fort Worth
I-410 around San Antonio
I-440 around Raleigh

I-440 was removed from I-40, so it is no longer a complete circle

Same story for I-820. The south section was replaced with I-20.

SectorZ

MA 127 used to, ending at itself just west of Gloucester center. It's "northern" end was truncated to MA 128 about 25 years ago.

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on February 09, 2018, 07:44:58 AM
Quote from: GenExpwy on February 09, 2018, 04:25:58 AM

I was not even alive during the time period when NY 47 existed  :-P
So, I retract my statement.

I was alive, but I have no memory of it existing (other than those reference markers that still can be found). But I agree with the recollection that it never had a northern leg; NY (US) 104 and/or NY 18 filled that role.

mrcmc888

I-695 around Baltimore.

TN-155 completes a full loop around Nashville but only about 3/4 of it is freeway (Briley Parkway).  A segment south of the city runs on a surface street.

roadman65

Wow! I am surprised no one poked fun at this thread.  Amazing!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

RobbieL2415

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.