News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

SCTV

Started by inkyatari, February 12, 2018, 08:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

Fooling around on YouTube, and lo, I rediscovered the greatness that is SCTV.

Here's one that everyone into geography has to love...

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

wriddle082

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Big John

Take off to the Gret White North:

jasonh300

SCTV was an awesome show that everyone forgot about.  A lot of it is available for free on YouTube.   I rediscovered it several years back when I was desperately searching for this skit (see link below), that I was sure had to have been from SNL, but it turned out to be SCTV.  After watching hours and hours of material, I realized that a lot of the funny stuff that I thought I remembered from Saturday Night Live were really from SCTV.

https://youtu.be/I8JlQNIvIfI
(The funniest part is near the end...watch the girl reading the book)

kurumi

Blood-sucking Monkeys from West Mifflin, Pennsylvania = best horror movie ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEjdt_n1l-4
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

inkyatari

Count Floyd, Bobby Bittman, Johnny LaRue, Guy Cablierro, Edith Prickly, Earl Cammenbert, Bob and Doug, of course..  I'd argue they had a lot more memorable characters than SNL in that time frame.

abefroman329

I watched Jerry Lewis Live on the Champs-Elysees several times after he died, I had no idea he was a pretentious gasbag going that far back.

KEVIN_224

My favorite was the "boxing" match between Julia Child (John Candy) and Mister Rodgers! :D

inkyatari

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 14, 2018, 07:59:30 AM
My favorite was the "boxing" match between Julia Child (John Candy) and Mister Rodgers! :D

sparker

People forget that the "Great White North" was SCTV's response to "official" complaints that the show was becoming too Americanized and that it should have considerably more Canadian content.  Their response was the McKenzie Brothers "local" TV fare -- playing to a stereotypical depiction of Canadian idiom.  Lesson to governments everywhere -- don't get a bug up your ass about anything put together by comedy writers -- they'll find some way to turn your suggestion into humor at your expense!  SNL's Wayne's World was a toned-down imitation of GWN -- and it ironically took another Canadian to put that together!  SCTV was a wonder (even after some of their talent "defected" to SNL in the early '80's).

abefroman329

Quote from: sparker on February 19, 2018, 02:23:27 AM
People forget that the "Great White North" was SCTV's response to "official" complaints that the show was becoming too Americanized and that it should have considerably more Canadian content.  Their response was the McKenzie Brothers "local" TV fare -- playing to a stereotypical depiction of Canadian idiom.  Lesson to governments everywhere -- don't get a bug up your ass about anything put together by comedy writers -- they'll find some way to turn your suggestion into humor at your expense!  SNL's Wayne's World was a toned-down imitation of GWN -- and it ironically took another Canadian to put that together!  SCTV was a wonder (even after some of their talent "defected" to SNL in the early '80's).

It was a response to a legal requirement for Canadian/non-American content, not complaints about it.  And I'm sure Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas hated its popularity as much as anyone else, kind of like Rowan Atkinson's feelings about Mr. Bean.

inkyatari

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 19, 2018, 10:07:02 AM

It was a response to a legal requirement for Canadian/non-American content, not complaints about it.  And I'm sure Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas hated its popularity as much as anyone else, kind of like Rowan Atkinson's feelings about Mr. Bean.

Oh, from what I read they despised it, so they purposely created a bit (and from what I understand the early ones were all filmed at the same time,) with every Canadian stereotype they could imagine.

From what I also understand, since they were drinking during the filming, they were sloshed by the end, and they early ones were all pretty much improvised.

sparker

Quote from: inkyatari on February 19, 2018, 05:21:03 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on February 19, 2018, 10:07:02 AM

Oh, from what I read they despised it, so they purposely created a bit (and from what I understand the early ones were all filmed at the same time,) with every Canadian stereotype they could imagine.

From what I also understand, since they were drinking during the filming, they were sloshed by the end, and they early ones were all pretty much improvised.

The reference to "complaints" referred to "buzzing" from various Ministries that led to the legal directive -- which subsequently led to the inception of "GWN".  From what I've heard over the years, Moranis & Thomas set out to purposely devise the most obnoxious series of "Canadian content" sketches that they could simply because, like most comics (and most people, for that matter), they just don't like anyone telling them what to do!  The content is so egregious that it's self-nullifying (essentially the nature of satire).  If I were in their shoes circa 1982, I would have done the same -- right down to consuming so much Molson that by the end of filming would be all but passed out!   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.