How does your state sign lane merges?

Started by webny99, February 13, 2018, 08:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

How are lane merges (on freeways, that is) signed in your state?

Ohio uses overhead signs. But here in New York, I have never seen anything more than this (and often, the overhead is absent). What about for your state? Do they go overboard or keep it minimal when it comes to lane merge signage?

7/8

If a lane ends soon after an exit, then it's signed overhead (ex: Highway 7/8 westbound at Fischer-Hallman Road)

A more typical lane ends sign (ex: The 400 northbound at Wonderland)

The one on the top right is unusual, and I've only seen them on sound wall on the recently re-done section of Highway 7/8 (ex: westbound just after Fischer-Hallman)

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2018, 08:46:48 AM
How are lane merges (on freeways, that is) signed in your state?

Ohio uses overhead signs. But here in New York, I have never seen anything more than this (and often, the overhead is absent). What about for your state? Do they go overboard or keep it minimal when it comes to lane merge signage?

A nice down arrow would look nice on those signs it just makes it that much clearer....if they added the dashes on road narrows signage why not add black down arrows to overhead BYS signs?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

riiga

Typically with signs beside the road on both sides. Like this or this.

webny99

I don't understand why some states put signs on both sides of the road.

Another aspect of the topic not mentioned in the OP is pavement markings. NY seems a bit spotty as to whether they are used or not (though they're rarely used on surface streets).

mrcmc888

Tennessee will occasionally put up a "LANE ENDS" sign, but is inconsistent on when they decide to do so.  Normally, there's not even a warning sign that the lane will have to merge.

ET21

Illinois has a mix of the yellow diamond lanes merge sign and overhead Lane Ends in xxxx Feet, some with flashers
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

roadman

Quote from: webny99 on February 14, 2018, 08:15:23 PM

To insure that all traffic, regardless of the lane they're in, is notified of the lane drop.  This is because large trucks often block visibility of the right side signs from people in the middle and/or left center lanes.  In a four lane to three lane situation, trucks tend to immediately cross into the next lane over within the transition area, potentially cutting off vehicles in the adjacent lane.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

webny99

Quote from: roadman on February 15, 2018, 09:33:30 AM
Quote from: webny99 on February 14, 2018, 08:15:23 PM

To insure that all traffic, regardless of the lane they're in, is notified of the lane drop.  This is because large trucks often block visibility of the right side signs from people in the middle and/or left center lanes.  In a four lane to three lane situation, trucks tend to immediately cross into the next lane over within the transition area, potentially cutting off vehicles in the adjacent lane.

But trucks should be in the right lane(s) anyways. I get the point, I just think it may be too much of a "red flag" causing more vehicles to slow down than is necessary.

Hurricane Rex

Oregon is the standard right lane ends signs followed by a symbol sign.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Revive 755

Not my state, but Indiana seems to at least occasionally use a 'Lane Ends' sign with two downward diagonal arrows placed at the start or next to the taper.  Example on WB I-80/I-94

I recall Maryland using a similar sign on I-68 near the ends of some of the climbing lanes.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 17, 2018, 11:58:25 AM
Not my state, but Indiana seems to at least occasionally use a 'Lane Ends' sign with two downward diagonal arrows placed at the start or next to the taper.  Example on WB I-80/I-94

I recall Maryland using a similar sign on I-68 near the ends of some of the climbing lanes.

Actually, it's their standard statewide: https://goo.gl/maps/NSk2UmaSUsE2

roadfro

Nevada uses the standard "lane ends" W4-2 symbol sign on the appropriate side of the highway. They also usually include lane reduction arrows on the pavement (previously three, but more recently only two).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Super Mateo

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8978124,-80.4750247,3a,47.2y,287.86h,88.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEcje51uI4r4qrvnJlEGCgA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

I'm not sure if this is normal for PA because the only Interstate I've been on there is I-76 (ignoring the I-70 overlap), but here they have ten signs indicating a lane ends.  Starting at 2500 feet, there is one on each side of the road every 500 feet until the lane actually ends.  It's a bit excessive in my opinion.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Super Mateo on February 18, 2018, 10:35:28 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8978124,-80.4750247,3a,47.2y,287.86h,88.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEcje51uI4r4qrvnJlEGCgA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

I'm not sure if this is normal for PA because the only Interstate I've been on there is I-76 (ignoring the I-70 overlap), but here they have ten signs indicating a lane ends.  Starting at 2500 feet, there is one on each side of the road every 500 feet until the lane actually ends.  It's a bit excessive in my opinion.

That is excessive... and then there aren't any signs at all at the point where the lane actually ends. :pan:

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 19, 2018, 12:07:19 AM
Quote from: Super Mateo on February 18, 2018, 10:35:28 PM

That is excessive... and then there aren't any signs at all at the point where the lane actually ends. :pan:

That signing style is unique to the PA Turnpike. In the rest of the state, you barely get a single sign sometimes indicating the lane is ending!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.