News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sounds that drive you up the wall?

Started by index, March 23, 2018, 08:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Surveys show that the most reviled sound in every culture is the sound of vomiting. 
The retching, gagging, heaving, spewing, splashing, spitting and belching.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Mike Emrick's voice (NBC hockey play-by-play guy). His voice is whiny and, when combined with his style of calling a game, it makes him sound constipated. If our game is on NBC, I usually pause the broadcast, mute the TV, and then sync the video to the radio stream (usually via an Amazon Echo) so that I don't have to listen to the NBC commentators.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 24, 2018, 05:57:02 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 23, 2018, 09:18:48 AM
I can't stand the sound of turn-signals and often shut mine off at long traffic lights .
ZING!

As much as they are a convenience for folks because turn signals are required at every single solitary turn and some turns don't reset it, I do hate it myself.  However, I find it a godsend and useful when using the flash-to-pass. (did it work?)

also,

:sombrero: :bigass: :popcorn: :awesomeface:

For whatever reason the signal in my Sonic is obnoxiously loud.  It seems like most of the cheaper daily drivers I've had all have an issue with a super clicky turn signal noise.  My significant other loves to make turn signal noises when I'm driving because she knows it annoys me so much.  I rather take the Dumb and Dumber most annoying sound in the world at this point.

Also, I wanted to throw in that I agree with several of the posters that the chip reader sound effect is pretty awful.  The new sound effect Target uses is very pleasing to the ears IMO. 

hbelkins

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on March 23, 2018, 10:55:13 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 23, 2018, 01:37:19 PM
Hillary Clinton talking. Dick Vitale doing whatever it is that he does.
I think we all want Hillary to STFU and go away

P00I

Wow. We agree on something! Elizabeth honey, I'm a-comin' to join you!

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sparker

Warbling car alarms.  I can tolerate repeated horn honking as an alternative alarm method, but up-and-down modulation drives me fucking nuts!  First heard this type of noise back about 1967 or so as the intro to the original theme to the Ironside TV show -- and it was jarring and bothersome back then.  Guess it's made to not only attract attention but to mess with the heads of would-be thieves!

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on March 23, 2018, 10:55:13 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 23, 2018, 01:37:19 PM
Hillary Clinton talking.
I think we all want Hillary to STFU and go away

P00I

Yes and yes.  Feel the gag reflex every time I hear her speak

Quote from: sparker on March 25, 2018, 12:23:21 AM
Warbling car alarms.  I can tolerate repeated horn honking as an alternative alarm method, but up-and-down modulation drives me fucking nuts!  First heard this type of noise back about 1967 or so as the intro to the original theme to the Ironside TV show -- and it was jarring and bothersome back then.  Guess it's made to not only attract attention but to mess with the heads of would-be thieves!

The one that drives me bat&*#$ crazy is the one that has the 6 different sounds that you hear on just about every car in the same sequence.  When I lived in Philly, I think I heard that alarm no less than 4 or 5 times a day.  Here's a video of it, but the sequence I heard was slightly different, with the third and sixth sound swapping positions
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

DaBigE

The insole of a flip-flop slapping against the bottom of someone's foot as they walk
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Beltway

Chronic outdoor dog barking in a neighborhood. 

(Robert Coté, 2002)

SSOWorld

Seat belt alarms - you know those that don't stop unless you - and your shotgun passenger's - seatbelts are fastened.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 25, 2018, 07:33:32 AM
Seat belt alarms - you know those that don't stop unless you - and your shotgun passenger's - seatbelts are fastened.

Always wonder about the opinion on those of a NH native, since there is no mandatory law in NH.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

texaskdog

Beth Mowins & Doris Burke on ESPN.  I have to mute the sound for either.

qguy

My wife hates the sound of metal eating utensils scraping against each other. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, so naturally, heh-heh...   :)

I expect the divorce papers any day now.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Beltway on March 24, 2018, 10:03:54 AM
Surveys show that the most reviled sound in every culture is the sound of vomiting. 

Yes, but Hillary Clinton has been mentioned several times already.  :-D
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Beltway

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on March 25, 2018, 03:52:00 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 24, 2018, 10:03:54 AM
Yes, but Hillary Clinton has been mentioned several times already.  :-D

Violent regurgitation syndrome.  When you start puking violently for no apparent reason.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 24, 2018, 03:13:18 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on March 23, 2018, 03:03:16 PM
Quote from: kurumi on March 23, 2018, 11:51:19 AM
Petulant BEEP BEEP BEEP of Verifone chip card reader when it's time to remove your card (with 0.1 millisecond grace period)

I've seen fewer chip readers that buzz and more that chime.  It would help with both if there was some other indicator that the card could be removed besides a screen that changes from DO NOT REMOVE CARD to REMOVE CARD imperceptibly.

Ours at work pop up a big green APPROVED, but some people refuse to pull the card out until the Verifone starts honking at them. I guess they're afraid the credit card network is going to unapprove them.

Last time I went to Target, they had configured theirs to emit a soft gong-like chime.

Yeah, the soft gong-like chime is what I've been hearing more and more vs. the buzzing.

It would be nice if a chip transaction didn't take so long, but I don't know why it does or if there's a good reason (and I work for a credit card company!)

tribar

Vomiting
Tinnitus
Screaming kids
Miley Cyrus
Joe Buck

formulanone

We're getting off-topic.

Individuals cannot do a lot about the tone and pitch of their talking, and this isn't a thread for "issues I don't like". We get it...a general dislike of vomiting puts you into the least-exclusive club of all.

Read the first post again; it was about particular sounds that are annoying.

seicer

I don't mind transverse tined concrete pavement, but there were some horribly loud sections on a rebuild of I-275 in Clermont County, Ohio that had to be diamond grinded within a year or so. I

abefroman329

I wouldn't exactly say I like the sound of vomiting, but I did used to think it was hilarious in college.  But that was assuming the individual was vomiting because they were drunk or had otherwise cashed in one too many fun tickets, not because they were sick from something else.

I absolutely do not miss the sound of modems and fax machines connecting.  We still have fax machines at work, but they must use VoIP or some other technology, because I don't hear a sound when they're connecting to another fax machine.

index

Quote from: tribar on March 26, 2018, 01:50:57 PM
Parkland "activists"

A bit too political for a thread that has nothing to do with politics, don't you think?

(And to point out everyone who's mentioned Hillary Clinton, I believe it's probably political, just me, not a problem, but one could easily make the argument they genuinely don't like her voice, so fair enough.)
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

abefroman329

Quote from: seicer on March 26, 2018, 02:34:02 PM
I don't mind transverse tined concrete pavement, but there were some horribly loud sections on a rebuild of I-275 in Clermont County, Ohio that had to be diamond grinded within a year or so. I

I like that sound.  Makes me think of traveling on the Downtown Connector in Atlanta to the airport to pick someone up who was coming into town, or to leave on a trip.

index

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

abefroman329

Quote from: index on March 26, 2018, 02:35:33 PM
(And to point out everyone who's mentioned Hillary Clinton, I believe it's probably political, but you could easily make the argument they genuinely don't like her voice, so fair enough.)

Oh, OK.  I hate the sound of Sarah Palin and Kellyanne Conway, then.  Actually, with the latter, I hate her ugly, leathery, Beavis-esque face as much as I hate her two-pack-a-day rasp.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: index on March 26, 2018, 02:35:33 PM
Quote from: tribar on March 26, 2018, 01:50:57 PM
Parkland "activists"

A bit too political for a thread that has nothing to do with politics, don't you think?

(And to point out everyone who's mentioned Hillary Clinton, I believe it's probably political, just me, not a problem, but one could easily make the argument they genuinely don't like her voice, so fair enough.)

+ 1

And of all things political, perhaps one shouldn't speak ill of those who were in a genuine tragedy such as seeing 17 classmates killed in front of them. Regardless of your stance on gun issues, I think that comment was uncalled for.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.