News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highways that take more distance to clinch than they are long

Started by index, April 01, 2018, 09:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

The Blue Ridge Parkway is nearly 470 miles in Virginia and North Carolina, yet it is difficult to drive in a day (it has always taken me 2 days) because of its 45 MPH speed limit, and curves and grades that mean some parts are slower to drive than the 45 limit.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Flint1979

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 04, 2018, 01:29:42 PM
The Blue Ridge Parkway is nearly 470 miles in Virginia and North Carolina, yet it is difficult to drive in a day (it has always taken me 2 days) because of its 45 MPH speed limit, and curves and grades that mean some parts are slower to drive than the 45 limit.
I have an uncle that lives in Vermont and an uncle that lived in North Carolina before he passed away about 10 years ago. My uncle from Vermont was traveling down to North Carolina to visit his brother so he decided to take the Blue Ridge Parkway. I just said wow that probably took you about 10 hours to drive that. With the trip from Burlington, VT to Winston-Salem, NC on Google Maps claiming it'd take about 13 and a half hours you mean to tell me that you took a route that takes 10 hours to drive when the whole thing takes 13 and a half. I told him should have went down I-87 to I-287 then to I-78 to I-81 to US-220 down to US-158 then to Winston-Salem. The speed limit, curves and grades would make me not want to drive that.

hbelkins

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a fun route to drive -- except when you get behind a vehicle that's going slower than you want to go, because of limited passing zones, or in Virginia where you can't use your radar detector.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Quote from: hbelkins on April 05, 2018, 08:05:05 PM
The Blue Ridge Parkway is a fun route to drive -- except when you get behind a vehicle that's going slower than you want to go, because of limited passing zones, or in Virginia where you can't use your radar detector.
Nothing is as bad as driving up or down the Mount Washington Auto Road in New Hampshire.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.