News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 30 Collapsing In East Pittsburgh

Started by 74/171FAN, April 07, 2018, 12:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Well US 30 (link from PennLive) has been collapsing all week due to landslides from all the recent rain/snow leading to what is now being considered a long-term closure.  Homes and apartments are even being evacuated as buildings start to collapse.

The EB lanes were originally closed earlier this week with the road being completely closed yesterday.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Roadsguy

What's the closed section? Electric Avenue ramps to Center Street?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Roadsguy

Yeah, but if the landslide is in the empty stretch west of the bridge, it wouldn't make sense to close off the bridge and its eastern approach. None of the articles seem to detail the actual closed section, just the detour.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

mvak36

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 07, 2018, 06:51:57 PM
Yeah, but if the landslide is in the empty stretch west of the bridge, it wouldn't make sense to close off the bridge and its eastern approach. None of the articles seem to detail the actual closed section, just the detour.
I was in the area yesterday. I was heading westbound on 30. I am not sure where the actual roadblocks were but the detour had us turn off at Navy-Marine corps way and then take E Pittsburgh-McKeesport Blvd, Braddock Ave, and then Electric Ave back to US30 westbound. I wanted to see the Westinghouse bridge but I guess I will have to wait till whenever I come back to Pittsburgh.

iPhone
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Roadsguy

Quote from: mvak36 on April 08, 2018, 06:06:35 AM
I was in the area yesterday. I was heading westbound on 30. I am not sure where the actual roadblocks were but the detour had us turn off at Navy-Marine corps way and then take E Pittsburgh-McKeesport Blvd, Braddock Ave, and then Electric Ave back to US30 westbound. I wanted to see the Westinghouse bridge but I guess I will have to wait till whenever I come back to Pittsburgh.

Well I updated OSM with the confirmed closed section since it'll be closed for several months. A local will have to verify how much on the east side is actually open still.

I wonder if they'll re-time the signal at Braddock/Electric Avenues or modify the all-way stop at the end of Pittsburgh McKeesport Blvd if they haven't already.

mvak36

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 08, 2018, 08:12:04 AM
Quote from: mvak36 on April 08, 2018, 06:06:35 AM

Well I updated OSM with the confirmed closed section since it'll be closed for several months. A local will have to verify how much on the east side is actually open still.

I wonder if they'll re-time the signal at Braddock/Electric Avenues or modify the all-way stop at the end of Pittsburgh McKeesport Blvd if they haven't already.

They were working on something along the road on Saturday. Not sure what but I had to sit there at Electric Ave for at least 10 minutes while they were flagging traffic through the construction zone.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

rickmastfan67

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.