News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Create Your Own Burma-Shave Signs!

Started by Henry, May 09, 2018, 09:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

I was looking for a thread where you would make up your own poems that were inspired by the old Burma-Shave signs, but found none, so I created this one. What would your messages read if you were in charge of them?

Here's what mine would say:

Obey all traffic laws
That's what you must do
To avoid any trouble
From the people in blue

Burma-Shave

Let's see some more!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

abefroman329

There once was a man from Nantucket...

kphoger

Quote from: Henry on May 09, 2018, 09:22:30 AM
I was looking for a thread where you would make up your own poems that were inspired by the old Burma-Shave signs, but found none, so I created this one. What would your messages read if you were in charge of them?

Obey all traffic laws
That's what you must do
To avoid any trouble
From the people in blue

Let's see some more!

That doesn't end with "Burma shave".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Henry

Quote from: kphoger on May 09, 2018, 01:36:19 PM

Obey all traffic laws
That's what you must do
To avoid any trouble
From the people in blue

Let's see some more!

That doesn't end with "Burma shave".
Fixed!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman

Obey all traffic laws
That's what you must do
To avoid any trouble
From the people in blue

Burma-Shave

Let's see some more!

Nice.  But it needs to be spaced out more.  Burma Shave jingles normally appeared on a set of five to six signs - this was principally to limit the total number of words on a sign.  I would revise it to:

Obey All Laws

As You Should Do

To Avoid Any Trouble

From The People

In Blue

BURMA SHAVE
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Now, my entry.

FOREST CAMPING?

SOUNDS REALLY NICE

LEFT LANE CAMPING?

BETTER THINK

TWICE

BURMA SHAVE
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.