Numbered highways that never meet other numbered highways

Started by mrpablue, May 20, 2018, 01:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpablue

I don't just mean highways isolated from their system, like I-99 PA. I mean AZ210. Any other highways like that?

(yes, I know they want to connect AZ210 to I-10, but that's not the point)

US 89

Utah’s 281-320 number block is reserved for routes serving state parks and institutions, and many of them don’t connect to any other numbered routes, such as UT 312. However, most of these routes are unsigned. I’m not sure if any of these unconnected routes are signed, but I’d guess not.

oscar

Highways on islands with only one numbered highway, like Michigan's M-185 (Mackinac Island), and Quebec's QC 199 (ÃŽles de la Madeleine).

Alaska has isolated segments of AK 7 in Juneau, Petersburg, and Ketchikan, and of AK 10 in Cordova, connected to each other or other numbered highways only by unnumbered auto ferry routes. However, connected on land to other numbered highways are the Haines segment of AK 7 (to Yukon route 3), and the Chitina segment of AK 10 (to AK 4).   
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

TheHighwayMan3561

The southernmost section of MN 101 in Carver County. The section north of Pioneer Trail connected to US 212 was turned back, but the county still won't accept the portion between Pioneer Trail and Flying Cloud Drive (and this will likely remain the case for the foreseeable future), so this section of 101 does not meet any other state highways.

*The termini are marked county roads, but I'm assuming OP just meant state highway junctions.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

DandyDan

MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

GaryV

Quote from: oscar on May 20, 2018, 02:31:19 AM
Highways on islands with only one numbered highway, like Michigan's M-185 (Mackinac Island), and Quebec's QC 199 (ÃŽles de la Madeleine).

Another MI example (one that actually has vehicle traffic) is M-154 on Harsen's Island.

The only other MI island with a state highway, M-134 on Drummond Island, is a continuation of the route on the mainland.  I'm not sure if the ferry is considered part of the route, though.

Jim

I guess for New York 171 it depends if the definition here permits numbered county routes.  It crosses but does not intersect with New York 5S.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 20, 2018, 04:39:14 AM
The southernmost section of MN 101 in Carver County. The section north of Pioneer Trail connected to US 212 was turned back, but the county still won't accept the portion between Pioneer Trail and Flying Cloud Drive (and this will likely remain the case for the foreseeable future), so this section of 101 does not meet any other state highways.

*The termini are marked county roads, but I'm assuming OP just meant state highway junctions.

It's signed pretty well, too, which I always found amusing. There's an END marker at Flying Cloud Dr, and green sign panels on the signal mast arms at Pioneer Trail that point County 101 to the north and MN-101 to the south. Going through that much effort definitely supports the idea that that section isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Also, MN-294 and MN-297 were, at one point in their existences, both disconnected from the rest of the state highway network. MN-297 no longer exists and last I knew, MN-294 is in some kind of weird limbo between existing and not existing. I haven't been to Willmar in years so I don't know how it is now.

Edit: The latest GSV seems to indicate all the 294 signs are gone now, so perhaps that was finally resolved.

Edit 2: Dug up pictures of mine from July 2016 of the MN-101 example.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Jim on May 20, 2018, 07:47:05 AM
I guess for New York 171 it depends if the definition here permits numbered county routes.  It crosses but does not intersect with New York 5S.

Add NJ 152 to that.  It connects to a pair of 600 series county routes, but no state routes.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

WillWeaverRVA

NC 128 begins at the Blue Ridge Parkway (an unnumbered road) and doesn't cross any primary or secondary routes.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

BrianP

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Kulerage

NC 31 used to be one

until it was decommissioned...

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

Pink Jazz

Unsigned, but does US 60X in unincorporated Maricopa County west of Apache Junction count?  It doesn't connect to other numbered highways (it is the old alignment of US 60 and one of the last portions still under ADOT control).

US 89

Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 21, 2018, 09:35:02 PM
Unsigned, but does US 60X in unincorporated Maricopa County west of Apache Junction count?  It doesn't connect to other numbered highways (it is the old alignment of US 60 and one of the last portions still under ADOT control).

It looks like it connects to AZ 202, so no. Plus the western portion connects to US 60.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: US 89 on May 21, 2018, 10:47:27 PM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 21, 2018, 09:35:02 PM

It looks like it connects to AZ 202, so no. Plus the western portion connects to US 60.

Main St. (the old US 60/70/80/89) does not connect to the Loop 202 (or the Loop 101 in Tempe) directly.  One must go through University Dr. or Broadway Rd. to access the 202.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Kniwt

Quote from: US 89 on May 20, 2018, 01:47:46 AM
Utah's 281-320 number block is reserved for routes serving state parks and institutions, and many of them don't connect to any other numbered routes, such as UT 312. However, most of these routes are unsigned. I'm not sure if any of these unconnected routes are signed, but I'd guess not.

UT 308 is signed at the entrance to Kodachrome Basin State Park, reachable only via Cottonwood Canyon Road and not connected to any state highway:

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: plain on May 21, 2018, 09:25:34 PM
VA 353

There's a bunch of the Virginia facility routes that would qualify. I know a bunch of pieces of VA 302 don't meet any numbered routes (well, the ones that don't meet US 29 BUSINESS), and VA 315 doesn't make it to VA 161.

EDIT:

Also...

VA 318 (doesn't touch US 250)
VA 328 (doesn't touch VA 45, US 15 BUS, or US 460 BUS)
VA 379
VA 398
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Mapmikey

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 22, 2018, 09:29:19 AM
Quote from: plain on May 21, 2018, 09:25:34 PM
VA 353

There's a bunch of the Virginia facility routes that would qualify. I know a bunch of pieces of VA 302 don't meet any numbered routes (well, the ones that don't meet US 29 BUSINESS), and VA 315 doesn't make it to VA 161.

EDIT:

Also...

VA 318 (doesn't touch US 250)
VA 328 (doesn't touch VA 45, US 15 BUS, or US 460 BUS)
VA 379
VA 398

VA 320
VA 324
VA 325
VA 326
VA 328
VA 330
VA 335
VA 341
VA 342
VA 345
VA 355
VA 370
VA 371
VA 382
VA 394

bugo

Not a numbered highway, but Route V in extreme northwestern Missouri doesn't connect to any other state highways.

Nexus 5X

formulanone

Alabama State Route 297, although it's planned to be a longer route...but since it opened in 2004, and with no further progress, it's safe to say it will be that way for a while (or possibly lose its SR designation).

That said, I'm sure it connects some unposted Tuscaloosa County routes.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 20, 2018, 08:29:47 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 20, 2018, 04:39:14 AM

It's signed pretty well, too, which I always found amusing. There's an END marker at Flying Cloud Dr, and green sign panels on the signal mast arms at Pioneer Trail that point County 101 to the north and MN-101 to the south. Going through that much effort definitely supports the idea that that section isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Edit 2: Dug up pictures of mine from July 2016 of the MN-101 example.

Forgot to follow up that it looks like MnDOT is finally going to be able to improve this section to a quality Carver County will accept using money from the state's bonding bill signed this year, so this will be coming off the list.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

index

Ohio SR 575 on Kelleys Island, OH. I'd say OH SR 357 on South Bass Island, but it intersects with county routes. Otherwise, both are completely isolated from their respective state's highway systems. I always find routes with this type of geography interesting. Small, short routes on small islands. Pretty neat.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 01, 2018, 03:01:03 PM
Forgot to follow up that it looks like MnDOT is finally going to be able to improve this section to a quality Carver County will accept using money from the state's bonding bill signed this year, so this will be coming off the list.

I'm curious to know what Carver County will find acceptable. That section is a bit steep and twisty, coming out of the Minnesota River valley.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.