News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roadgeeking/travel goals and accomplishments

Started by hbelkins, June 26, 2018, 01:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

I clinched every bus route in Saginaw, Michigan.

Bickendan

I'm aiming for 100% of Oregon,  including the ORH set.

davmillar

I've done a large swath of I-35 in my trips from Fort Worth, TX to St. Paul, MN and back. perhaps next time I'll clinch the last bit of MN that I haven't done and get the rest of TX that I haven't. I've also done bits of the Eastern half of historic 66 coming back down to Texas from Michigan last time I went back to my home state, and plan to eventually do the whole thing in two halves.

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 13, 2018, 05:03:58 PM

Hey, that's where I grew up! Is there still a route that goes out near Bagshaw Dr. and Outer Dr.? I used to see that one pass my grandma's house all the time and always wanted to try the buses there, but didn't ride until I moved to Grand Rapids. STS for life!
Try out my puzzle game Interst8 at https://interst8.us

mvak36

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 30, 2018, 03:40:22 PM
My, admittedly humble, goal was to clinch the contiguous forty-eight states. (Map follows)

That said, since I completed these clinches in 2016, I've been halfheartedly clinching counties, mostly since I didn't know what else to do, but now that someone's brought up the idea of clinching an Interstate, a US Route, and a state route in each of them, I think I might do that instead.

I worded my first post badly. I do want to clinch the whole interstate system and do at least one state route in every state. I don't plan on trying to clinch a US highway in every state. I just want to clinch one US highway in the whole country.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

SSOWorld

Here are some goals for me.
* Interstates: I have WI, MN, IA, KS, AZ, DE, AR, NE, RI and MO and am <10% away from IL (I-70), CO (I-25), FL (I-10, I-295; and I-795 when it's added) and CA (I-5).
* Counties: I have WI, RI, DC, AZ, NJ, and DE.  An overnight drive will likely finish IL at some point.

Both of these are considerably lofty given the cost in both time and $$$ so they are distant (getting the 50 states in Interstates and probably getting all counties but some AK boroughs/CDPs since I would have to do multiple flights to get them.  Less of an issue for HI Counties as it would take 3-4 hops and a mule ride AND/OR a cruise.

* Wisconsin's highway system down to the state level.  It will take one overnight to get a handful in the northwestern part of the state and another to get some in the western part.  Easy finish.  I don't see myself getting any other states finished unless I moved there - and moving became a non-option due to job longevity.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

J N Winkler

The Helsinki summit just past inspired me to see if there were Russian online tendering platforms where I could find signing plans.  I was very pleasantly surprised to find over 100 pattern-accurate sign panel detail sheets from just one job, a major expansion of the Moscow-Arkhangelsk highway (M-8) just north of its interchange with Moscow's second ring road.  I don't read Cyrillic, though, so finding the signs among thousands of other files in a 98-part RAR archive was a bit like hunting for a needle in a haystack.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jon daly

One goal I've been thinking about is designing a diorama that captures an intersection at a certain place and time; Exit 66 on the Wilbur Cross Parkway, October 28, 1962.

As the Cuban Missile Crisis was winding down, NY Giant fans were driving up to the Yale Motor Lodge to hold watch parties. Due to blackout rules, the games at Yankee Stadium weren't shown in NYC, so fans would have to chase the closest signal, which was WTIC (CH 3) out of Hartford.  I think there were some places in Fairfield County that had large enough antennae to pull the signal in, but I definitely remember  the Yale as a destination. Plus the Penn Central ran nearby, so I might have a chance of getting a model railroader to buy into this project.

Henry

My goal is to clinch all of the Interstate highways before I can no longer drive! :mrgreen:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

webny99

mrcmc888

I'm wanting to clinch all US Routes 1-99 in my lifetime.  Possibly, I could see about clinching Tennessee State Routes.  I also want to clinch a route in Japan.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

D-Dey65

I don't know about the rest of you, but starting today, I've considered a detour onto US 301 at the North Carolina-Virginia State Line. I just wish I could get a clear view of the warning sign at the intersection with VSR 662.

jcarte29

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 09, 2018, 04:40:46 PM
Sign photos -- route shield assemblies and BGSs.  The more, the merrier.

Past few weeks I've really been active capturing pictures of current projects (focus on new NC Toll Projects) around me (I live in NC)

Those projects include
Monroe Expressway
I-77 Express Lane Project

Previous project includes Segment4 of I-74 around Winston-Salem (my hometown). It's going at a snails pace, I go semi-annually up there and get disappointed about how much doesnt change lol.
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

Flint1979

Quote from: davmillar on July 16, 2018, 10:11:43 AM
I've done a large swath of I-35 in my trips from Fort Worth, TX to St. Paul, MN and back. perhaps next time I'll clinch the last bit of MN that I haven't done and get the rest of TX that I haven't. I've also done bits of the Eastern half of historic 66 coming back down to Texas from Michigan last time I went back to my home state, and plan to eventually do the whole thing in two halves.

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 13, 2018, 05:03:58 PM

Hey, that's where I grew up! Is there still a route that goes out near Bagshaw Dr. and Outer Dr.? I used to see that one pass my grandma's house all the time and always wanted to try the buses there, but didn't ride until I moved to Grand Rapids. STS for life!
Wow I never thought anyone would notice my post. Actually last year Saginaw redesigned the entire bus system. And yes actually there is a route that still goes to Sheridan Park use to be route 10 back in the day, now it's part of route 8. STS is going back in the day a little bit too it's been called STARS for probably about 20 years now it stands for Saginaw Transit Authority Regional Services. Saginaw's changed quite a bit in even the last two years, downtown actually has life to it and they have been demolishing abandoned buildings over the past several years.

I actually like getting on the buses sometimes and just riding around for something to do even though I can get anywhere the bus can take me by car. They have a connection to Bay City's bus system at Saginaw Valley State University but don't have anything connecting to the Flint MTA.

roadman65

I have done I-70 across both Kansas and Missouri which was in part on my bucket list. I have also done I-335 finally clinching the entire Kansas Turnpike.

I even got I-35 all done from Kansas City (the split of it with I-29) down to the I-35E & I-35W split!  Getting as much as both I-70 and I-35 are accomplishments I hope to achieve. Still missing I-70 in CO from Denver to Limon, and from Vandalia, IL to Indy, and from Indy to Columbus as well as from Breezewood to Baltimore for that route to be done.  On I-35 I need from San Antonio to the split, then part of I-35W from the split to like south of Fort Worth.  I-35E from the split into Dallas, and north of I-635 to the other split, and north of Kansas City to have that one done.

I have done US 31 north of Indy to its end, but now with the freeway upgrades that needs to be reclinched.  As I was on it in 08, the Kokomo and Plymouth to  South Bend freeways were not even conceived, so I never got them.

My ultimate goal is to do all of TX interstates especially I-10 from border to border and US 2's western from end to end.  I have not yet started on this, but hope to soon.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

CPZ did I-70 end-to-end a couple of years ago. Myself, I've done it all the way west to one of the Grand Junction exits.

I think it would be an interesting accomplishment to clinch all the interstates and US routes that run through Kentucky. I've knocked off I-64, I-71 and I-24 off that list, as well as US 68, US 25 and its split routes, US 150, US 119, US 421 and US 460.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on August 09, 2018, 09:18:01 PM
I think it would be an interesting accomplishment to clinch all the interstates and US routes that run through Kentucky. I've knocked off I-64, I-71 and I-24 off that list, as well as US 68, US 25 and its split routes, US 150, US 119, US 421 and US 460.

You would think it wouldn't take long to clinch all the Interstates in your state.  I have lived in Virginia for 46 years, but didn't clinch my last sections until the 2017 eclipse trip (I-81 Fort Chiswell to Radford, and I-381).
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Mapmikey

Quote from: Beltway on August 09, 2018, 10:02:05 PM

You would think it wouldn't take long to clinch all the Interstates in your state.  I have lived in Virginia for 46 years, but didn't clinch my last sections until the 2017 eclipse trip (I-81 Fort Chiswell to Radford, and I-381).

I have clinched all US routes and interstates in these states:  SC, VA, MD, DE, NJ plus DC

I am only missing US 30 from adding WV to the list and very close on NC and PA.

corco

I've driven the entire state highway systems (including secondaries) in WA, WY, AZ, ID, DE, and MT. I have one state highway left in Oregon (242, which got closed by fire when I was trying to get it last year and is only open seasonally) - that I plan to get in a couple weeks.

Working on California and Nevada right now.

jon daly

I've clinched most of southern New England (including I-684,) but I think I still have sections of US-3, I-95, and I-93 near Boston that I've never driven. State routes are still a work in progress.

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 10, 2018, 01:42:42 PM
I have clinched all US routes and interstates in these states:  SC, VA, MD, DE, NJ plus DC
I am only missing US 30 from adding WV to the list and very close on NC and PA.

I have never had a plan or practice or goal to 'clinch' highway systems.  I just thought it interesting that there were some Interstate segments in VA that I had not driven.  I have driven every mile in MD.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

I may have not been clear. I have clinched all the mileage of the interstate and US routes in Kentucky. I need huge chunks of I-75 in Michigan and Florida, and a few portions in Georgia; plus all of I-65 south of I-459 in Alabama, to completely clinch those routes. That's what I was getting at. I have completely clinched all the US routes I mentioned, but need major chunks of the other routes that run through Kentucky to finish them.

My clinch of Virginia's interstate system was completed when CPZ came to get me at my Annapolis conference a few years ago and took me on a drive around the area. I finished I-395 that day.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Laura

I enjoy exploring new roads, and clinching highways and counties came as a result!! All of my logs are out of date...but I know that I'm at around 700 counties (DC plus 5 states completed - CT, DE, MD, NJ, VA) and have all of the interstates and US highways clinched in at least Maryland and Delaware. The only states that I'm seriously tracking state highways are the Mid-Atlantic states. Naturally I have the most in MD and DE.

I also collect maps, again mostly Mid-Atlantic. I do need to go through them at some point and curate my collection because I have way too many. Other things I keep track of include state high points, MLB stadiums, sections I've hiked of the Appalachian Trail, and transit systems. The main subway system that I'd like to clinch is NYC, which I slowly am tackling with each trip there.

I'm not in a rush to clinch things, but I love how they give me an addition reason to explore new places!!

iPhone

froggie

If my calculations are correct....after a 16-hour marathon trip today, I've clinched the entire New Hampshire marked route system.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 09, 2018, 04:45:14 PM
My clinching goals:
1) Every county in Indiana - finished
2) All interstates in Indiana - missing about half of 469 and then of course the rest of 69 when it opens
3) All US Highways in Indiana - about 2/3 done
4) All state highways in Indiana - just recently cracked 50%
5) All signed, numbered highways in Jefferson County, KY - completed
6) All signed, numbered highways in Cook County, IL - about 2/3 done

If I'm fortunate enough to complete all of those, then my next goal would be to get as much of the interstate system as possible.  Currently at 40% so I'm off to a good start but that's a lot of time and miles to accomplish.

A non highway related goal I used to have was see at game at every MLB stadium, but due to the rapid building of new ones, my count of unvisited stadiums started increasing instead of decreasing so I've given up on that.

Finished Cook County today.  I've now clinched all Interstate, US and state highways in the most populous counties in Illinois and Kentucky, and the two most populous counties in Indiana.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.