News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Highways" that are actually city streets

Started by golden eagle, April 29, 2013, 01:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapman1071

Quote from: national highway 1 on April 29, 2013, 11:48:35 PM
Rockaway 'Freeway' in Queens - nothing more than a divided Super-Two expressway
http://goo.gl/maps/yMc2o

Rockaway Freeway Is a City Street, No Interchanges Arranged in a 1/1/1/1 with the IND Rockaway Subway El over the center lanes.

mapman1071

Frontage Roads for I-17 Phoenix, Black Canyon Highway Maintained by City of Phoenix
NB from 19th Avenue to Carefree Highway, SB From Carefree Highway to Van Buren Street then co-signed with 23rd Avenue from Van Buren Street to Durango Street.

Carefree Highway Peoria, Phoenix, Cave Creek, Scottsdale & Carefree
Currently 2 lanes from Lake Pleasant Parkway to I-17 and 4 to 6 Lanes from I-17 to Scottsdale Road/Tom Darlington Drive.

Lake Pleasant Parkway, Peoria to 27th Avenue, Phoenix (Co-Signed with AZ74) Maintained by ADOT
27th Avenue, Phoenix to Scottsdale Road/Tom Darlington Drive Matained by Phoenix & McDOT

vtk

In some regions of the country, "highway" is essentially just a synonym for "public road", with no implied importance or design standards.  There ought to be many examples for this thread from those regions.  The conclusion is therefore that an unimportant road named "___ Highway" is not really a strange phenomenon. 

For example, look at Lenawee County, Michigan.  Every north-south county road is given the suffix "Highway", regardless of the road's importance.  Most of them are gravel!

This is really just another facet of the following phenomenon of road naming in this country:  Nearly every road is named with a suffix that is a synonym for "road", such as "avenue", "street", "boulevard", "highway", et cetera.  In other uses, these words carry implications of certain physical characteristics, but as suffixes to road names, they are almost meaningless.  It's a bit like a surname: just because your name is "John Shepherd" doesn't mean it's strange that you don't care for a flock of sheep.  With roads, the suffix is often chosen simply because it sounds nice or to give more variety to an area's road names, without regard to what kind of road that suffix word would otherwise describe.

If there's a thread like "boulevards that are narrow and undivided" or "parkways that allow trucks and aren't limited-access" or "terraces in completely flat topography" and NE2 yawns at it, this is why.

PS – Somewhere around central Ohio is a little town with a Broadway that's just an 18-foot-wide strip of asphalt from the main through road to the edge of town, which is about 200 feet.  I don't even remember where.  It's not that big a deal.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

Quote from: vtk on July 03, 2013, 08:43:20 AM
just because your name is "John Shepherd" doesn't mean it's strange that you don't care for a flock of sheep.
Sure it is. How else can you fall asleep?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Lytton

On Oahu, there is Nimitz Highway and Sand Island Parkway. To be fair, Nimitz Highway does have a route assigned to it, Route 92. But, it is mostly a street that goes by the waterfront and the only parts that aren't in Honolulu is the small connector from H1 to the main gates of Pearl Harbor and Hickam AFB.

Sand Island Parkway is the continuation after Sand Island Access Road and it isn't really a parkway at all. For one thing, the four-lane road only goes for less than a mile after the bridge until it reverts to a two-lane road and is still called a Parkway.
Fuck GPS. I rather use my brain and common sense.

jfs1988

Mission Blvd in Ontario, California.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jfs1988/7666053628/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jfs1988/7666053770/in/photostream/

Mission Blvd between CA-83 (Euclid Ave) & CA-60 (Pomona Freeway) acts as an expressway. There are even highway mileage signs. This section parallels railroad tracks and is south of the Ontario Airport.

kendancy66

Here is an interesting twist on the highway theme

http://goo.gl/maps/IGVij

This is not a real "highway", just the entrance to Laguna Hills High School.  Their nickname is the Hawks.

ftballfan

Mulholland Highway barely looks wide enough for two cars to pass each other in some areas.

JCinSummerfield

Not just the N-S roads in Lenawee County, vtk.  A large majority, including E-W routes are suffixed "Hwy".   :nod:

vtk

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on July 09, 2013, 01:52:35 PM
Not just the N-S roads in Lenawee County, vtk.  A large majority, including E-W routes are suffixed "Hwy".   :nod:

Ahh.  I've only ever paid attention to the road names while travelling west to east from Adrian through Deerfield and Petersbrug towards Dundee, Ida, or Monroe, or straight thru on M-50 – so I saw just about every N—S road but no E—W ones except the few I drove on.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

hm insulators

Imperial Highway in the Los Angeles area might qualify, even though it's a very long street. It runs from LAX all the way to Yorba Linda.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

kiwislark

Max Rockatansky

CA 49 north of US 50 in Placerville on Spring Street and Colma Road. CA 49 in Sonora and Downieville would also fit this thread.

Flint1979

There are counties in Michigan that use the term, "Highway" on roads. Dixie Highway is usually nothing more than what a city street would be. I know Eaton and Lenawee Counties for sure use the term, "Highway."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.