Freeways Named as Surface Streets

Started by webny99, July 20, 2018, 12:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: Eth on July 21, 2018, 12:28:23 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 21, 2018, 11:58:46 AM
It would be much more interesting to discuss the reverse: surface streets/two-lane roads named as a "parkway". Thousand Islands Parkway comes to mind.

Eh, not really. Those aren't even remotely unusual; I could likely produce dozens of examples in metro Atlanta alone. Maybe not two lanes, necessarily, but very much surface roads with little to no access control.

Indeed. (That's a Street View link to a residential street named "The Parkway.") I don't think there's anything special about the word "Parkway" except in places where that designation carries a restriction, such as the prohibition on commercial traffic in New York.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 21, 2018, 12:32:47 PMI don't think there's anything special about the word "Parkway"

I agree, in the sense that parkway doesn't generally refer to any one type of road - it can be used for both a surface boulevard and a full freeway in different circumstances.

Therefore, roads called "parkways" just aren't a good fit for this thread, because there's no existing expectation of what a "parkway" should look like that is defied if it is in fact a freeway. Similarly, no big shocker if a "parkway" is in fact a street in a residential neighborhood.
We're looking for roads that have names with a lot less ambiguity (street, avenue, drive, etc. - very distinctly non-freeway type of names) used to refer to full freeways.

dcharlie

US 6 a.k.a. 6th Avenue Freeway from Golden to Denver CO.

webny99

Quote from: Eth on July 21, 2018, 12:28:23 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 21, 2018, 11:58:46 AM
It would be much more interesting to discuss the reverse: surface streets/two-lane roads named as a "parkway". Thousand Islands Parkway comes to mind.
Eh, not really. Those aren't even remotely unusual; I could likely produce dozens of examples in metro Atlanta alone. Maybe not two lanes, necessarily, but very much surface roads with little to no access control.

By definition, a parkway is an open landscaped highway. I understand, as you've just shown, that basically any type of road can be named parkway regardless of whether it meets the above criteria.

In New York State, we have the state parkways, which are very distinctly "open landscaped highways" in most cases. Two lane roads or business parks are rarely named "parkway", though I'm sure someone will come up with a counterexample. Just goes to show the ambiguity of the word "parkway".

bing101

DandyDan

Omaha has West Dodge Road, which people mistakenly call Dodge Street.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Brooks

Sam Cooper Boulevard in Memphis (the uncompleted section of I-40).

jp the roadgeek

President St, a de facto southern extension of I-83, since the south end connection to I-95 was never built.  There's also portions of PA 12, the Warren St. bypass in Reading, that are full freeway.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Thing 342

Off the top of my head:

- Sully Rd: a six-lane freeway portion of VA-28 near Dulles.
- Most of the freeways around Greensboro have some sort of surface street name:
     - Fordham Blvd: I-40 through town.
     - Preddy Blvd: Old I-85 / BL-85 through town.
     - Bryan Blvd: Part of I-73 west of I-840, runs as a solo freeway into town.
     - OHenry Blvd: US-29 through downtown.
     - Wendover Ave:  Has a decently-long freeway portion.
     - Painter Blvd: Refers to the entirety (IIRC) of the Greensboro Urban Loop (All of I-840, parts of I-73, 85, and 785)
     - Google seems to refer to the freeway section of US-220 between I-40 and I-73 as part of Freeman Mill Road, but I have no other evidence of this.
- Jarvis Klapman Blvd: A short freeway section of SC-12 in Columbia.
- Minnesota Dr and O'Malley Blvd in Anchorage, AK have a section of freeway that connects the airport to AK-1. (It may have a different name by now, haven't been up there in awhile)

sparker

Doyle Drive in San Francisco; the south approach to the Golden Gate Bridge and part of US 101.  Formerly a narrow multilane viaduct, now (since reconstruction) a wider multilane viaduct/tunnel.  West of the Marina Blvd. intersection it's limited access (that intersection used to be a semi-directional "Y" interchange with US 101 doing a TOTSO).

ET21

Congress Parkway, which still holds some freeway designation from I-90/94 to Wells St east of I-290s ending
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on July 23, 2018, 01:57:43 AM
Doyle Drive in San Francisco; the south approach to the Golden Gate Bridge and part of US 101.  Formerly a narrow multilane viaduct, now (since reconstruction) a wider multilane viaduct/tunnel.  West of the Marina Blvd. intersection it's limited access (that intersection used to be a semi-directional "Y" interchange with US 101 doing a TOTSO).

Marina actually has a different new interchange with 101/Presidio Parkway/Doyle Drive, a partial diamond:

https://goo.gl/maps/3D6SiMFLFM12

First intersection is where 101 becomes Richardson Avenue, at Lyon Street. 

At one point the Marina Boulevard through lanes on the pre-2015 TOTSO configuration were proposed to be part of Interstate 480 (as was the entirety of Doyle Drive)!
Chris Sampang

bzakharin

The Roosevelt Expressway in Philadelphia (US 1 between I-76 and Broad Street) is popularly known as the Roosevelt Boulevard (the official designation it has north of there, where it really is a surface boulevard. Sometimes it's also called "Roosevelt Boulevard Extension". Admiral Wilson Boulevard in Camden (US 30 east of the I-676/US 30 split) is a Jersey freeway (no median breaks, but access to businesses on the same side of the road).

plain

Another Virginia example is Dominion Blvd (US 17) in Chesapeake, which is now a full freeway between VA 168 and Grassfield Pkwy.
Newark born, Richmond bred

texaskdog

US 183 is Ed Bluestein and turns into Anderson Lane....while Anderson Lane exits and becomes a street and 183 become Research Blvd. 

TheStranger

forgot to mention another San Diego example: Kearny Villa Road in the Miramar MCAS airbase area, former I-15 and previously US 395.

The Friars Road arterial is essentially a freeway with no interruption between Frazee Road and River Run Drive in San Diego's Mission Valley.

Chris Sampang

ilpt4u

Palatine Rd in North Suburban Chicago tries really, really, really hard to be a Freeway between I-294/Tri-State and the IL 53 Freeway, but it just doesn't quite get there, as it still has a few At Grades, despite having many Grade Separations AND Express/Local (or Mainline/Frontage, depending or perspective) Lane setups

pianocello

Collins Rd (IA-100) in Cedar Rapids is a freeway west of I-380. I don't know how far west it's signed as Collins Rd, as until recently it only extended about a mile west of I-380.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

roadman65

Padre Island Drive in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Though mentioned already, Kellogg Avenue in Wichita (as it was a surface street at one time).

Burlington Street in Hamilton, ON.

Queen Elizabeth Way between Toronto and Fort Erie in Ontario is a big freeway given a local street name.  You figure that it should be Queen Elizabeth Highway or even Freeway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheStranger

Quote from: roadman65 on July 24, 2018, 11:56:23 PM

Interestingly, the freeway portion recently was renamed...to Nikola Tesla Boulevard, so yet another surface street type suffix.
Chris Sampang

roadman65

Quote from: TheStranger on July 25, 2018, 01:59:21 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 24, 2018, 11:56:23 PM

Interestingly, the freeway portion recently was renamed...to Nikola Tesla Boulevard, so yet another surface street type suffix.
In the US, this would be a 3 digit interstate and the QEW as a 2 digit route.   This freeway acts as a spur of QEW and is like a child of it.

Yeah, but giving it another street name is odd.  I can see Burlington Street cause that was a surface road until it became elevated, but it should be Nikola Tesla Highway or even Expressway or a freeway type suffix. 

I am also surprised the MTO did not assign it a 400 series route number being a freeway.

Sheryl Crowe

peterj920

Sam Cooper Blvd in Memphis which was supposed to be I-40 until the portion near Overton Park was cancelled.

Wayzata Blvd in Minneapolis which is I-394.

txstateends

Amarillo:
* I-27 / US 60 / US 87 south of I-40 is still officially Canyon Drive (but it's been an interstate for decades now; most locals call it "the E-way", as in Canyon Expressway, one candidate that should be considered if the city ever gets around to renaming it)
* US 87 / US 287, the freeway part north of downtown is still officially Dumas Drive (which is as dumb and outdated as the Canyon Drive name IMO)
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

roadman65

Butler Blvd. in Jacksonville, FL is mostly a freeway.  In fact only the small section from US 1 to I-95 is only a street.  East of I-95 to its terminus at FL A1A is all freeway now.

Sheryl Crowe

Eth

Most of Peachtree Industrial Blvd northeast of Atlanta is a surface road, but about 4 miles of it was upgraded to a freeway in the mid-1990s and the name wasn't changed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.