News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

KY 8 being rerouted BIG TIME in northern Kentucky!!!

Started by bandit957, August 28, 2018, 09:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

I found out tomorrow that KY 8 is being rerouted from Newport all the way to Silver Grove!!!

It will now follow US 27 from Newport to Cold Spring, and then KY 1998 to Silver Grove. KY 8 through Bellevue and Dayton will become Business KY 8. KY 8 from Dayton to KY 445 will become KY 6335.

This may be because of slippage along that stretch of KY 8, but I don't know why this would cause only a renumbering like this.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on August 28, 2018, 09:51:42 PM
Do you have a source for this?

There is a shapefile on the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's website. There have also been some new KY 8 markers with coverings over them posted along US 27.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Interesting. Neither https://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/SPRS%20Maps/Campbell.pdf nor https://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/State%20Primary%20Road%20System%20Lists/Campbell.pdf have caught up with that.

Not sure what use I could make of a shapefile. I'm not well-versed enough in the technology to know how to read it. Do you have a link for that file?

Quote from: bandit957 on August 28, 2018, 09:32:14 PM

This may be because of slippage along that stretch of KY 8, but I don't know why this would cause only a renumbering like this.

I'm not sure how much through traffic might be using KY 8 from Augusta to Newport, but moving the designation off the river route would be one way to shift that traffic. I know there have been some closures along part of 8. This is good to know, because KY 8 is one of only two routes between 1-100 in Kentucky that I don't have clinched. I plan to take care of KY 61 next week when I'm in Louisville, KY 8 will have to wait for another time.

froggie

QuoteNot sure what use I could make of a shapefile. I'm not well-versed enough in the technology to know how to read it. Do you have a link for that file?

You need some sort of GIS software to view a shapefile (or mapping software that will accept shapefiles).  Surprised you didn't know that.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on August 29, 2018, 12:18:42 PM
QuoteNot sure what use I could make of a shapefile. I'm not well-versed enough in the technology to know how to read it. Do you have a link for that file?

You need some sort of GIS software to view a shapefile (or mapping software that will accept shapefiles).  Surprised you didn't know that.

I just don't know what software to use.

Roadsguy

Quote from: hbelkins on August 29, 2018, 01:25:35 PM

You could use any free GIS software. Even JOSM can open shapefiles as it would any OSM data if you install a plugin.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on August 29, 2018, 12:06:10 PM
Not sure what use I could make of a shapefile. I'm not well-versed enough in the technology to know how to read it. Do you have a link for that file?

If you go to http://datamart.business.transportation.ky.gov you can click on "State Primary Road System (SPRS) data." These files can be read by certain programs like QGIS.

aboges26

Quote from: hbelkins on August 29, 2018, 01:25:35 PM

Google Earth is the easiest program to use and quickest download/install.  https://www.google.com/earth/

JOSM lets you view but offers no rendering options and QGIS is more complex.

hbelkins

Can confirm the covered-up KY 8 signs, as I drove the route on Monday. The section of KY 8 between the I-275 underpass and the urban area is in terrible shape.

KY 1998 appears to be of recent, modern construction.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on September 05, 2018, 03:45:11 PM
Can confirm the covered-up KY 8 signs, as I drove the route on Monday. The section of KY 8 between the I-275 underpass and the urban area is in terrible shape.

If this is the part paralleling the river from Dayton to Silver Grove, parts of it have been collapsing because of terrain and geology. That's probably why they moved KY 8 off of that stretch and made this KY 6335.

QuoteKY 1998 appears to be of recent, modern construction.

I guess it was built around 1968, so it's fairly recent, as far as major roads around here go. (I used to think it was older.)

hbelkins

This was posted on District 6's Facebook page yesterday. Stated reasons were to route through traffic off the section of KY 8 that was renumered.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.