News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Does your state sign mileposts on non-freeways/Interstates?

Started by freebrickproductions, September 06, 2018, 04:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

Sorry if this's been posted before (did some searching and couldn't find a topic like this), but this has been a question on my mind for a while, especially since I've noticed something about the way Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee do mileposts on non-freeways/Interstates.

Here in Alabama, ALDOT will sign mileposts for all state-maintained highways, even within incorporated cities and towns, starting from their southernmost/westernmost point within the state.

However, in Tennessee, non-freeways only have a little green sign that doesn't even say "mile" on it, just a number (with a smaller number underneath) that appears to reset at the county lines. Haven't noticed any of these within incorporated cities/towns either.

And in Florida, at least in the part of the Panhandle I've typically been in (and as such, can recall it the best), the only places I saw mileposts that weren't on an Interstate/freeway were on US 98 going through Tyndall AFB.

So I have to ask, does your state post mileposts along the state-maintained roads that aren't freeways and/or Interstates, and if so, then how are they done?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

TheHighwayMan3561

MN has mileposts on all state-maintained roads. One thing MnDOT will do on two-lane roads is post one double-sided milepost instead of separate assemblies for each direction.

WisDOT I think only mileposts freeways/expressways.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hotdogPi

MA does some every 0.2, others every 1, and others not at all.

Some bridges get mile markers with 3 decimal places. Unlike typical mile makers, these must be perfectly accurate, so they might be slightly "out of order" compared with the rest.

If you look carefully, you might find an odd-numbered tenth marker, like 23.1, in a very small diamond. These are not meant for the general public.

NH usually doesn't. However, they do some of them every 0.2. They don't look like the ones in MA.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

cjk374

Louisiana signs mileposts on all state highways as well, but does not maintain them rigorously.  They put up new ones approximately every 10 years. They only use the small u-channel posts (1.8 pounds per foot, whereas other highway signs use 2.6 pounds per foot posts), so they are easy to mow down with their bush hogs or can be easily pulled up & stolen. They are also posted in just one direction, unlike AL. DOTD has been using square tubing posts for their signs now in the last couple of years, but I haven't seen them used for mileposts yet (except for the interstates). I wonder if that will help them stick around longer? Any milepost bolted below another highway sign stays there forever unless knocked down by a car.

When I was a child...I have lived here in this house since birth...milepost 82 was always in front of my house across the road (US 80) at our mailbox. It had the old school mile marker of just a number on a green sign board (no "MILE" above it). Then on Dec. 11, 1985 (I remember the date written on the back), it was replaced with one that had MILE above the number. Ten years later, it was replaced...and moved west of my house about 400 yards. I pulled that sign up & put it back at my mailbox. Then in 2005, DOTD did it again. But before I could grab that one, someone stole it. I thought 2015 would bring them back with another batch, but they didn't do it.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

DJ Particle

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 06, 2018, 05:02:17 AM
MN has mileposts on all state-maintained roads.

I noticed an anomaly on MN-13...it goes from Mile 95 (just east of the exit to CSAH 5) to Mile 98 (about 1/2 mile east of 35W) in the span of 1 mile...did 13 get rerouted/truncated at some point by 2 miles?

I travel that route to Valleyfair on a weekly basis, and it always struck me as odd.

formulanone

Florida also has mile markers on US 1 around Florida City, extending all the way down to its terminus in Key West. I think a few more US Routes have them, but except for other state/county limited-access highways or toll roads, that's about it.

Ohio uses them, and they reset at the county line (or route start/finish).

New York and Vermont have "reference markers", but someone more knowledgeable than me can probably explain them better.

US 89

Utah mileposts all numbered routes, every mile, no matter where they are. Unless the road is divided, that is done with a double-sided mile marker posted on the side of increasing mileage.

As part of the project several months ago to milepost all ramps through complex interchanges, I-80 is posted to the 0.1 mile through both of its interchanges with I-15.

Eth

All state routes in Georgia have mileposts, and with few exceptions (400 is the only one I can think of) they reset at county lines.

Note that US routes don't technically have their own mileposts; they're mileposted based on the underlying state route. As an example, for US 78 in DeKalb County, it starts out from 0 using GA 8's mileposts, resets to 0 again when it splits off onto GA 410, then picks up GA 10's mileposts when they join up in Stone Mountain.

jeffandnicole

NJ recently just signed all non-highway state routes with mileposts at the .0 and .5 locations.  Previously, if they were signed, they were generally signed at the .0 mile point.

froggie

Quote from: 1NH usually doesn't. However, they do some of them every 0.2. They don't look like the ones in MA.

To clarify further, major routes like NH 16, US 2, US 3, and US 302 (to name some examples) have mileposts.

Quote from: DJ ParticleI noticed an anomaly on MN-13...it goes from Mile 95 (just east of the exit to CSAH 5) to Mile 98 (about 1/2 mile east of 35W) in the span of 1 mile...did 13 get rerouted/truncated at some point by 2 miles?

MN 13 originally followed Dakota Ave and McColl Dr through Savage.  There was also the realignment related to the Mendota Bridge project in the early 1990s.  The reference mileposts were fudged as a result of both.

Quote from: formulaoneOhio uses them, and they reset at the county line (or route start/finish).

As does Illinois.

QuoteNew York and Vermont have "reference markers", but someone more knowledgeable than me can probably explain them better.

For Vermont.

For states not mentioned yet:

In Pennsylvania, I've only seen them along US 6...and that was a tourism/marketing effort.

Virginia mostly lacks them except for some limited-access bypasses and US 13 on the Eastern Shore.  It should be noted that, for the former, they do not use the mileage of the overall route but instead just the mileage of the bypass.

oscar

Hawaii mileposts (and sometimes also km-posts) most or all state-maintained routes. Some county routes are also mileposted.

Alaska mileposts all its numbered state routes, and many of its unnumbered state-maintained highways. However, its mileposts are based on named, rather than numbered, highways, so a traveler on a numbered route will see resets as it changes from one named highway to another. For example, from east to west AK 2's mileposts ascend to 1422 (mile 0 in Dawson Creek BC), then reset in Delta Junction to 266 and ascend again as AK 2 switches from the Alaska Highway to the Richardson Highway (mile 0 east of Valdez), then reset to zero and ascend yet again where the Richardson Highway switches to the Steese and Elliott Highways in Fairbanks. Most perplexingly, from west to east AK 1's mileposts descend from 171 to around 37, then start ascending again as the numbered route changes from the Sterling Highway to the Seward Highway (mile 0 for both in Seward) at Tern Lake Junction. So AK 1 has two MP 37s and 39s (not sure MP 38 is duplicated), as well as other duplicate MPs, on opposite sides of the junction. Those and other MPs are also duplicated as AK 1 changes from the Seward to the Glenn Highways, then to the Richardson Highway, then to the Tok Cut-Off, though at least those milemarkers ascend consistently from west to east.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on September 06, 2018, 09:12:50 AM

Virginia mostly lacks them except for some limited-access bypasses and US 13 on the Eastern Shore.  It should be noted that, for the former, they do not use the mileage of the overall route but instead just the mileage of the bypass.

Others in Virginia:  VA 207 and US 301 from Carmel Church to the Potomac River, with US 301 using its distance from the NC line on its portion

US 17 from NC to I-64.  This goes back to when it was US 17 and VA 104.

For some reason, US 460 west of Blacksburg has a few mileposts

Caroline and Essex Counties had them on all their primary routes but I'm not sure they still keep up with them (US 1's has numerous ones missing now) and they were not standard mile markers.  Mileages were from county lines only.

SR 619 along the eastern edge of Quantico USMC base, for some reason.

VA 294 from Manassas south to Hoadley Rd, dates back to SR 3000 days and is in km.

VA 33 in each direction leaving West Point, in 1/2 mile increments and presumably to give an idea how long the backup was to the drawbridges that used to be there.  I don't know if they are still there but were not removed immediately after new bridges were completed.

vdeane

Quote from: formulanone on September 06, 2018, 07:20:27 AM
New York and Vermont have "reference markers", but someone more knowledgeable than me can probably explain them better.
I have some information on my site, and a link to the reference marker manual.
http://nysroads.com/ref-markers.php
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on September 06, 2018, 05:52:21 AM
MA does some every 0.2, others every 1, and others not at all.

Some bridges get mile markers with 3 decimal places. Unlike typical mile makers, these must be perfectly accurate, so they might be slightly "out of order" compared with the rest.
Those bridge mile markers were erected during the mid-1980s and the practice of doing such was short-lived.  As a result, on routes that since were re-aligned/modified (even slightly),  the mile marker readings are either more out-of-synch at best or (worst case) not-in-synch at all with respect to the newer mile posts.

Examples (overpass-mounted (XX.XXX) mile markers only):

1.  The ones along I-95 north of MA 128/Peabody reflect its pre-1988 extension & direct-connection to MA 128.

2.  Likewise to #1, the ones along MA 128 treat 128's MM 0 at the US 1/S. Lynnfield interchange rather than at I-95/Peabody (I'm aware that the current 128 mile markers reflect its 37-mile concurrency w/I-95 from Peabody to Canton).  One can just simply subtract 37 from 128's markers to calculate its non-Interstate concurrency-based mile markers.

3.  The ones along US 1 north of the Tobin Bridge reflect its pre-1989 re-route onto I-93 & 95 between Boston and Dedham.

4.  Likewise to #3, the ones along MA 1A north of Logan Airport reflect the pre-1989 reroute of its US 1 parent via a silent concurrency.
Prior to MassDOT adopting the MUTCD-style for its 0.2 mile markers; such used to be marked with very small grey or yellow diamonds that had the numbers in black with the whole mile number placed above the decimal number.

Example for MM 21.2

2 1
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 06, 2018, 08:37:59 AM
NJ recently just signed all non-highway state routes with mileposts at the .0 and .5 locations.  Previously, if they were signed, they were generally signed at the .0 mile point.
Some NJ county routes also have mile markers in a style similar to what NJDOT used before the recent replacement (the new NJ mile markers have a shield on top of each marker, whereas the old ones did not). The usually haev whole miles only. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which county roads have them and which don't.

SSR_317

Indiana has mileposts on most all INDOT-maintained state roads. On non-freeways, they use simple blue horizontal rectangles with white numerals and no other verbiage. A few can still be spotted along former state highways, such as Binford Boulevard in Indianapolis (former State Road 37).

roadman65

Quote from: Eth on September 06, 2018, 08:33:25 AM
All state routes in Georgia have mileposts, and with few exceptions (400 is the only one I can think of) they reset at county lines.

Note that US routes don't technically have their own mileposts; they're mileposted based on the underlying state route. As an example, for US 78 in DeKalb County, it starts out from 0 using GA 8's mileposts, resets to 0 again when it splits off onto GA 410, then picks up GA 10's mileposts when they join up in Stone Mountain.
Also on US 301 entering Charlton County from the north, instead of using US 301's mileage left to the FL State Line, it uses companion GA 23 that has a longer distance to its endpoint located north of Maclenny, FL.  GA 23 splits from US 301 at Folkston and because of the bend in the St. Mary's River part of Georgia sticks into Florida making part of Charlton County have Nassau County, FL on one side of it with Baker County, FL on the other side.  US 301 crosses between the states north of where GA 23 does so US 301 is shorter than GA 23 in Charlton County.

Florida only uses mile markers on US 1 in the Keys and US 27 now has them in Broward County.  Most likely due to the lack of other routes crossing the two highways.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mrcmc888

Delaware does not post its state routes.  Seems to be in the minority based on what I've seen here.

vdeane

NY 787 currently has regular tenth milemarkers in Cohoes even though it's a divided highway with traffic lights rather than a freeway.  I do not know if there will still be any after the Cohoes Boulevard project is done, but I'm guessing not.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jemacedo9

Quote from: mrcmc888 on September 06, 2018, 09:59:28 PM
Delaware does not post its state routes.  Seems to be in the minority based on what I've seen here.

DE 1 is posted south of Milford in whole-mile increments...I think that is somewhat new, as I don't remember that being the case last summer.

hbelkins

The Tennessee example mentioned needs some translation. The larger number is the milepoint. The smaller number is the state route number. That's why on a route posted as a US route, the number on the mile marker won't match.

Kentucky signs its parkways with a continuous numbering system, from south or west terminus to north or east terminus, across county lines.

On other routes, mileposts reset at county lines.

West Virginia inconsistently posts mile markers on state and US routes, and they reset at county lines. I have not seen mileposts on the county route system.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GaryV

pianocello

Iowa does. On expressways and freeways, they're identical to those you'd see on Interstates, while on 2-lane roads and city streets, they're smaller and omit the "MILE" word.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

bulldog1979

Mr. Matté

Quote from: bzakharin on September 06, 2018, 03:22:37 PM
Some NJ county routes also have mile markers in a style similar to what NJDOT used before the recent replacement (the new NJ mile markers have a shield on top of each marker, whereas the old ones did not). The usually haev whole miles only. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which county roads have them and which don't.

Usually based on the county itself- Hunterdon and Somerset will post all routes with a shield and milemarker, Burlington posts milemarkers on all routes, Ocean generally has just milemarkers on 500-routes, Mercer and Middlesex don't post anything.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.