News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CA 12 in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta

Started by Max Rockatansky, November 11, 2018, 11:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Took a somewhat unexpected trip up to the Bay Area today and took what I consider to be a fairly unique route in CA 12 through the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmvKadiK

Aside from the brown and the mountains in the background much of CA 12, CA 160, CA 84, CA 113, and CA 220 in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta remind me a lot of the road network surrounding Lake Okeechobee.  Definitely was weird to see smoke from the nearby fires covering the marsh lands.  The Safety Corridors with the Jersey Barriers kind beg the question why no major improvements have been made.

kurumi

I tried to take CA 84 south from Sacramento once; got lost, but eventually ended up on CA 160 and followed that through the Delta. Very picturesque little towns, levees and bridges.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kurumi on November 12, 2018, 01:33:17 AM
I tried to take CA 84 south from Sacramento once; got lost, but eventually ended up on CA 160 and followed that through the Delta. Very picturesque little towns, levees and bridges.

Funny thing is that in Florida I found those types of towns and infrastructure kind of boring considering how common it was.  CA 160 in particular resembles parts of the south shore of Lake Okeechobee and the Florida Everglades.  Pretty much every major roadway straddles a canal in some form.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 13, 2018, 12:18:21 AM

Funny thing is that in Florida I found those types of towns and infrastructure kind of boring considering how common it was.  CA 160 in particular resembles parts of the south shore of Lake Okeechobee and the Florida Everglades.  Pretty much every major roadway straddles a canal in some form.

Considering the sporadic (and even that term is generous) signage of CA 84 south of the West Sacramento city limits (it's been relinquished within city limits) -- and none to speak of at the many right-angle turns along the route (go the wrong way -- east -- and you will end up on CA 160 at one point or another), it's hardly surprising that any visitor would not remain on the route.  Levee-riding state highways aren't all that uncommon in the Sacramento Delta or even the upper Sacramento Valley; CA 84 and CA 160 both spend a lot of their time atop levees; farther north along the river, CA 45 does so as well. 

Several years back I did some exploration of the lower Mississippi River between metro New Orleans and Baton Rouge; LA 18 on the west side of the river and LA 48 on the east side are reminiscent (minus the intervening islands) of the 84/160 configuration in the Sacramento Delta (both being in delta territory, there would be commonalities).  As far as the attractions along those routes in the two regions go, to me it's a toss-up between the antebellum manses arrayed along the roads in LA and the post-gold-rush Sacramento Delta "boomtowns", with their clapboard houses and commercial buildings.  CA 160 -- if you don't encounter a truck on one of the route's narrow drawbridges -- is a great alternate route from anywhere in the Bay Area up to greater Sacramento. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on November 13, 2018, 02:47:00 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 13, 2018, 12:18:21 AM

Considering the sporadic (and even that term is generous) signage of CA 84 south of the West Sacramento city limits (it's been relinquished within city limits) -- and none to speak of at the many right-angle turns along the route (go the wrong way -- east -- and you will end up on CA 160 at one point or another), it's hardly surprising that any visitor would not remain on the route.  Levee-riding state highways aren't all that uncommon in the Sacramento Delta or even the upper Sacramento Valley; CA 84 and CA 160 both spend a lot of their time atop levees; farther north along the river, CA 45 does so as well. 

Several years back I did some exploration of the lower Mississippi River between metro New Orleans and Baton Rouge; LA 18 on the west side of the river and LA 48 on the east side are reminiscent (minus the intervening islands) of the 84/160 configuration in the Sacramento Delta (both being in delta territory, there would be commonalities).  As far as the attractions along those routes in the two regions go, to me it's a toss-up between the antebellum manses arrayed along the roads in LA and the post-gold-rush Sacramento Delta "boomtowns", with their clapboard houses and commercial buildings.  CA 160 -- if you don't encounter a truck on one of the route's narrow drawbridges -- is a great alternate route from anywhere in the Bay Area up to greater Sacramento.

Turns out the original alignment of LRN 53/CA 12 is far more on levee ridden than the modern alignment.  Here's what I found in my research I've worked up so far:

"LRN 53 was first defined by the 1919 Third State Highway Bond Act according to CAhighways.org.  Originally the routing LRN 53 only ran between Rio Vista and Fairfield which is reflected on the 1920 State Highway Map.

1920 State Highway Map

By 1921 the legislative definition of LRN 53 was extended east from Rio Vista to Lodi.  The original alignment of LRN 53 east of Rio Vista took a far different path than CA 12 does today.  The original alignment of LRN 53 from the Sacramento River and Sacramento County Line eastward to Lodi was as follows:

-  Modern CA 160 on River Road along the Sacramento River to Isleton and Isleton Road.

-  Isleton Road along the Sacramento River over Georgian Slough to Walnut Grove and River Road.

-  River Road/Signed County Route J11 to Walnut Grove-Thorton Road.

-  Walnut Grove-Thorton Road/Signed County Route J11 to the Mokelumne River and San Joaquin County Line to Walnut Grove Road.

-  Walnut Grove Road/Signed County Route J11 to Thorton and Thorton Road.

-  Thorton Road/Signed County Route J8 to Stockton Street.

-  Stockton Street to Midsection Street.

-  Midsection Street to Kile Road.

-  Kile Road to Peltier Road/Signed County Route J12.

-  Peltier Road/Signed County Route J12 to Devries Road.

-  Devries Road to Turner Road.

-  Turner Road to Sacramento Street in Lodi

-  Sacramento Street in Lodi to Lockeford Street in Lodi.

-  Lockeford Street in Lodi to LRN 4 at Cherokee Lane.

The above alignment can be observed on the 1922 State Highway Map, 1935 California Division of Highways Map of Sacramento County, and 1935 California Division of Highways Map of San Joaquin County.

1922 State Highway Map

1935 Sacramento County Highway Map

1935 San Joaquin County Highway Map"

The "links" above will function once I have my blog post up, nonetheless the alignment is all over the place.

Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky

Made an update to this post to include the Western Railway Museum and Sacramento Northern Railway (the interurban line of Bay Bridge fame).

kurumi

Right after the new 680/780 interchange opened, I made a trip from San Jose to Davis to meet some friends and do a little roadgeeking. After heavy traffic at the 680 tollbooth, I went west on 780 a bit, turned around, and prepared to continue on 680 north.

On 780 east, paying more attention to surroundings than the actual signs, I got into the left lane to prepare for 680 north. Here's the interchange: https://goo.gl/maps/PGWXS3swpwn. Yep, I was in the wrong lane and ended up going back on the bridge. Rookie mistake.

Not willing to sit through 680 toll traffic again, I went to CA 4 east to take another away across: CA 160 bridge to Rio Vista, then CA 12 and 113 back up to Davis. A nice detour.

TL;DR: Max's posts are great and I really enjoy them
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kurumi on February 23, 2019, 02:09:31 PM
Right after the new 680/780 interchange opened, I made a trip from San Jose to Davis to meet some friends and do a little roadgeeking. After heavy traffic at the 680 tollbooth, I went west on 780 a bit, turned around, and prepared to continue on 680 north.

On 780 east, paying more attention to surroundings than the actual signs, I got into the left lane to prepare for 680 north. Here's the interchange: https://goo.gl/maps/PGWXS3swpwn. Yep, I was in the wrong lane and ended up going back on the bridge. Rookie mistake.

Not willing to sit through 680 toll traffic again, I went to CA 4 east to take another away across: CA 160 bridge to Rio Vista, then CA 12 and 113 back up to Davis. A nice detour.

TL;DR: Max's posts are great and I really enjoy them

I actually have 113 through Davis coming up next in the blog series.  I'm looking forward to that one due to the connection to US 40, US 40A, US 99W and CA 24.  The Historic US 40 shields in downtown Dixon are a nice touch albeit they getting old. 

Regarding the Delta, I've always had a good time traveling out there.  Looking at all these maps the original alignment of 4 from Stockton to I-80 looks highly intriguing to pay a visit.  That said the old highway through Port Chicago is no longer accessible due to the munitions locates there in the Naval Base. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.