Four lane highways which could work as two lane roads.

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 25, 2018, 05:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

This is similar to the too many lanes one but a bit different. What four lane non-freeways could work fine with two lanes only?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Corridor H from WV-32 to Wardensville, recognizing of course it was purposely overbuilt.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Eth

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 25, 2018, 05:42:08 PM
Corridor H from WV-32 to Wardensville, recognizing of course it was purposely overbuilt.

Similarly, this is true for some of Georgia's GRIP corridors. US 27 in southwest Georgia comes to mind in particular; the stretch between Blakely and Colquitt, for instance, boasts an AADT somewhere in the neighborhood of 2700.

TheOneKEA

MD 10, in Anne Arundel County MD, is an excellent example. It is very underutilized despite its location.

EDIT: US 13 south of US 50, near Salisbury MD, might be another example. Traffic is usually light between US 50 and the southern terminus of the Salisbury Beltway.

Max Rockatansky

US 19/98 north of Crystal River to the US 27 mainline route in Florida.  The road is very lightly driven and goes through an extremely rural part of the state. 

Beltway

Quote from: TheOneKEA on December 25, 2018, 08:50:43 PM
MD 10, in Anne Arundel County MD, is an excellent example. It is very underutilized despite its location.

Truncated from a proposed extension to Annapolis when I-97 was authorized in the MD-3 and MD-32 corridor.

Still carries over 32,000 AADT.

https://www.roads.maryland.gov/Traffic_Volume_Maps/Anne%20Arundel.pdf

Quote from: TheOneKEA on December 25, 2018, 08:50:43 PM
EDIT: US 13 south of US 50, near Salisbury MD, might be another example. Traffic is usually light between US 50 and the southern terminus of the Salisbury Beltway.

The lowest is over 17,500 AADT.  That warrants the current 4 lane freeway design.

https://www.roads.maryland.gov/Traffic_Volume_Maps/Wicomico.pdf
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

webny99

In upstate NY, there are very few four-lane, divided, non-freeways.
Within 200 miles of me, I would honestly say "none". We need more four-lane corridors, not less.
NY 96A near Geneva is a "maybe". I would actually rather see the entire corridor four-laned down to Ithaca, but the rest of it functions OK with two lanes, so I suppose this segment could as well.

Quote from: Beltway on December 25, 2018, 10:02:10 PM
The lowest is over 17,500 AADT.  That warrants the current 4 lane freeway design.

Yeah, I would say anything with volumes over ~10K is not overbuilt. Maybe full exits are a bit overkill for volumes of 10K to 20K, but certainly not four-lanes.
I've advocated an expansion of NY 104 to four lanes out to Wolcott, and that gets as low as 5,600. Granted, that stretch has a lot of seasonal traffic, so while it might even be under 5K during the winter, it certainly exceeds the 10K threshold from June-September.

Avalanchez71

I-70 through the San Raphael Swell.  The road was more then sufficient as a two-lane road.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 22, 2020, 08:33:13 PM
I-70 through the San Raphael Swell.  The road was more then sufficient as a two-lane road.
non freeways
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

STLmapboy

IL-100 from Grafton to Alton, which I just drove today (tooling around Calhoun/Greene/Jersey/Madison Counties). It's been four-laned since the 1960s and there are some cool views and sites along it. It sometimes gets busy because of tourists in Grafton and students at Principia College, but often is pretty empty and could suffice as a two-lane road with occasional passing lanes. It was originally widened for industry along the river, I believe. In Jersey County it's got a concrete median while in Madison County it's got guardrails (which are often pretty rusty).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

US 89

Only thing that came to mind for Utah is the four-lane highway by Echo, which is old US 30S and is a relic of the pre-interstate days when I-84 didn't exist:

The houses and businesses on the left are pretty much all that is left of Echo, which was a much more substantial town before the interstates came through. They are all served by a frontage road, and the vast majority of traffic coming through here not on 84 has some sort of business in Echo...so this four-lane highway really doesn't even need to exist.

tigerwings

kphoger

Broadway (old US-81 from before I-135), north of Valley Center, KS.

typical GSV here
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

frankenroad

Quote from: tigerwings on November 23, 2020, 09:25:27 AM
Ohio 25 south of Bowling Green, between Portage and I-75. ODOT plans to reduce to 2 lanes next year.

https://www.sent-trib.com/news/road-reduction-for-ohio-25-south-of-bg-is-needed---odot-director/article_77e2a4c6-9762-11e9-838d-973dc235fc35.html

This road sprang to mind immediately.  Interesting that they are actually going to shrink it. 
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Northeastern MN: Carlton County 61 (old US 61) east of the St. Louis River between Cloquet and I-35 exit 245. Was part of the original Cloquet-Duluth expressway which I-35 partially replaced on the eastern end. Before the road was turned over Carlton County made MnDOT remove the northbound 61 bridge over the river to cut their future maintenance costs.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

My nomination for Mexico is the toll road between Allende and Nueva Rosita, Coahuila (Carr. Fed. 57D).  At 52 km in length, this four-lane divided freeway has an AADT of only 3579 at one end and 3797 at the other.

Meanwhile, the parallel free highway–an undivided two-lane road with no shoulders–has an AADT of 5752 to 5833.
Male pronouns, please.

In_Correct

Quote"We are not sure that we do."

... then the person, whose name is spelled more than one way in the article, needs to leave that position.

I am not in favour of Road Diets ... elimination of roads, making roads narrower. Every body loves to have the roads as narrow as possible, hence that "Cars" movie.

And then at the same time people want to eliminate speed limits and go as fast as possible despite the fuel economy, stress on engine, stress on tires, and safety of other traffic. And also they do not want to pay for the roads especially toll roads.

I even go above the speed limit, yet people want to go faster. Let them use the passing lanes that incompetent people want to remove.

The solution is to decommission the road entirely. ... Perhaps let some other highway system take over.

The other solution is to build even more Interstates and toll them.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: US 89 on November 23, 2020, 01:00:20 AM
Only thing that came to mind for Utah is the four-lane highway by Echo, which is old US 30S and is a relic of the pre-interstate days when I-84 didn't exist:

The houses and businesses on the left are pretty much all that is left of Echo, which was a much more substantial town before the interstates came through. They are all served by a frontage road, and the vast majority of traffic coming through here not on 84 has some sort of business in Echo...so this four-lane highway really doesn't even need to exist.

That is a good example.  I wonder if I-84 even needs to exist as well.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on December 26, 2018, 09:09:05 AM
In upstate NY, there are very few four-lane, divided, non-freeways.
Within 200 miles of me, I would honestly say "none". We need more four-lane corridors, not less.
NY 96A near Geneva is a "maybe". I would actually rather see the entire corridor four-laned down to Ithaca, but the rest of it functions OK with two lanes, so I suppose this segment could as well.

Quote from: Beltway on December 25, 2018, 10:02:10 PM

Yeah, I would say anything with volumes over ~10K is not overbuilt. Maybe full exits are a bit overkill for volumes of 10K to 20K, but certainly not four-lanes.
I've advocated an expansion of NY 104 to four lanes out to Wolcott, and that gets as low as 5,600. Granted, that stretch has a lot of seasonal traffic, so while it might even be under 5K during the winter, it certainly exceeds the 10K threshold from June-September.
Not even the western end of the LOSP?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jp the roadgeek

CT 11
CT 8 north of Torrington
CT 25 north of CT 15
CT 40 (CT 22 is just fine)
RI 403

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

thspfc

Before somebody mentions US-51 in Dane County between WI-19 and CTH-V, take it from someone who drives it nearly every day: it couldn't.

US 89

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 23, 2020, 09:08:05 PM
Quote from: US 89 on November 23, 2020, 01:00:20 AM

That is a good example.  I wonder if I-84 even needs to exist as well.

What? I-84 absolutely needs to exist. It serves over 10,000 vehicles per day and is a key long-distance trucking corridor connecting the Pacific Northwest to I-80 and the central and eastern US.

The four-lane bypass setup on 30S through Echo was needed before I-84 was built, but now that an interstate exists it's more a historical curiosity than anything else.

Avalanchez71

SR 84 which is now SR 93 should never have been four landed through the Everglades.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.