News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

FL 9B

Started by sammack, May 22, 2010, 08:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Quote from: Alex on May 27, 2016, 02:07:44 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 27, 2016, 01:10:28 PM
Can someone explain why this route is not a colossal waste of money?  Hard earned tax payer money at that.  Isn't this area already served by FL 9A (I-295).  There is only a few miles of seperation.

Its mostly to open up more land for development, especially the next phase extending south of I-95 deeper into St. Johns County. The FL 9B connection with I-295 north will provide part of a long distance bypass of I-95 through the city otherwise.

I-795 will connect with CR-2209 (St Johns Parkway) and go all the way down as a arterial to the new First Coast Expressway, parts of which are being built as a tollroad south of I-10 today on the Duval County side.  Also there is a plan to extend Nocatee Parkway west of US-1 (Philips Highway) over I-95 (no exit) and connect to I-795 with a new exit for Peyton/Durbin Parkway just south of Racetrack Road.  St Johns County has been working to improve arterial access to/from the beaches south of Ponte Vedra, not just for development, but also for hurricane preparedness.

9B/I-795 was supposed to have been completed prior to the Overland Bridge Project in downtown Jacksonville, but initially ran out of funding when aggregates pricing skyrocketed through the roof in 2007. This route would have provided a reliever route for I-95 passthrough traffic.  When aggregates came back down, Archer-Western proposed a redesign to cut down the costs and FDOT was able to complete the segment.

The Jacksonville Overland is in full swing now, so the 9B completion was timely except now FDOT are putting in demand toll lanes in I-295 now between 9B and Beach Boulevard. The redesign of the 9B exit ramps to cut costs caused some design challenges on the new demand lanes.

Aerobird

While looking FL 9B over in Google Street View last night, it dawned on me that there was something off about the exit numbers. Going from I-295 southbound...

Exit 4 = E-Town Parkway
Exit 2 = US-1

So far, so good. The numbers more or less match up with the mileage from I-95. But suddenly...

Exit 3 = Durbin Blvd

"...what?"

Aside from the fact that it's Flagler Center Blvd, and there is no Durbin Blvd anywhere near it that I could find, Exit 3?

Now, that DOES seem to match up with the mileage estimate from the planned end of the road at St. Johns Parkway, but having it suddenly switch to create a 4-2-3 sequence is just bizzare.

(Northbound, the only signed exit on GSV was Exit 2 at US-1. "Durbin" only has an interchange SB and E-Town Parkway had no exit number tab.)
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 18, 2016, 02:04:07 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 22, 2016, 04:49:20 PM
Quote from: Alex on June 22, 2016, 03:17:22 PM
It fully opened on June 13. I posted a guide for the freeway with pics taken on our Jacksonville road outing last Thursday as well.

Thanks. I've used it once from I-295 to Route 1 just for the heck of it, but now it actually serves a useful purpose since I prefer to go around the east side of I-295.

We used 9B yesterday morning. I was pleasantly surprised at the nicely banked curve in the ramp to southbound I-95. Banking like that is less common than I'd like.

I drove this back in October when headed to the Melbourne area.  Nice direct connector between I-95 south and I-295 east.

Has it been signed as I-795 yet?

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alex

Quote from: Beltway on May 15, 2017, 07:05:15 AM
I drove this back in October when headed to the Melbourne area.  Nice direct connector between I-95 south and I-295 east.

Has it been signed as I-795 yet?

They are awaiting completion of the link south to CR 2209 before applying for I-795. Brent inquired about it after driving it last summer.

Quote from: flaroads on June 29, 2016, 09:11:54 PM
...the representative who responded informed me that once SR 9B is complete to CR 2209 in 2018, they will apply for Interstate status then, and use the I-795 designation.

The Ghostbuster

Hopefully, once Interstate 795 is signposted, that portion of FL 9B will be de-signed. Having both signposted would be unnecessary.

emory

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 15, 2017, 02:44:07 PM
Hopefully, once Interstate 795 is signposted, that portion of FL 9B will be de-signed. Having both signposted would be unnecessary.

Given the precedents set, including the de-signing of SR 9A when it was finished in 2009, it should be de-signed.

edwaleni

One of the more wasteful practices of highway building......A-W is currently punching a hole in the dirt based approaches for 795 over 295 as part of the new tolled express project.

Why is this wasteful?

Because in the original design for the 295/795 flyover, it was supposed to be a rural style with pylons and beams. In an effort to get the bid/design done and lower the cost, A-W changed the rural style flyover to an urban one with dirt filled approaches.

Move forward a couple of years and you guessed it. Since there was no room in the urban approach design, they had to build a shoofly to a new overpass so they could dig out room for the new express lane. Now what money was saved a couple of years ago is lost twice over because they have to punch a tunnel through by removing the 2 year old concrete roadway, build buttresses, and then rebuild what was just laid down.  If they had just stuck to their guns and stay rural, but I digress.

Also for what it worth....

Between the following road projects in NE Florida:

- First Coast Beltway
- Overland Bridge
- JTB/95 rebuild
- 295 Tolled Express
- 95/295 Revamp (Airport)

"Road Building" in 2017 is now the leading economic activity in the region with aggregate spending now in excess of $1 Billion dollars.

Interstate 69 Fan

Thread Revival!

FL 9B has been opened. Completely finished from St. John's Pkwy to I-295.
https://mobile.twitter.com/AARoads?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on August 09, 2018, 02:38:14 PM
Thread Revival!

https://mobile.twitter.com/AARoads?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I wonder if the exit numbers were extended with the opening.  :hmmm:

edwaleni

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on August 09, 2018, 02:38:14 PM
Thread Revival!

North bound opened in the AM.  Southbound was opened just before rush hour the same day.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.