News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Birmingham

Started by Grzrd, September 23, 2010, 09:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Quote from: sparker on April 15, 2018, 01:57:01 AM
Does anyone have the signage plans for WB 20/59 approaching I-65?  Are there going to be any BGS trailblazers for I-22 from at least WB 20/59 (likely deemed unnecessary from the opposite direction) -- or even NB I-65 approaching 20/59?  For a corridor that has been the regional developmental focus for the last decade, ALDOT seems, at least for the time being, to be disinterested in providing direction to I-22 from other nearby facilities.   

The signage plans I saw made no mention of I-22, which to me sounds like a big oversight.

Signage-wise, I-22 is the red-headed step child of ALDOT.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

sparker

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 01, 2018, 07:53:31 AM
Quote from: sparker on April 15, 2018, 01:57:01 AM
Does anyone have the signage plans for WB 20/59 approaching I-65?  Are there going to be any BGS trailblazers for I-22 from at least WB 20/59 (likely deemed unnecessary from the opposite direction) -- or even NB I-65 approaching 20/59?  For a corridor that has been the regional developmental focus for the last decade, ALDOT seems, at least for the time being, to be disinterested in providing direction to I-22 from other nearby facilities.   
The signage plans I saw made no mention of I-22, which to me sounds like a big oversight.

Signage-wise, I-22 is the red-headed step child of ALDOT.

That's too bad.  Considering the penultimate major push for I-22 came from within AL, with interests from the Jasper area virtually browbeating Sen. Shelby into inserting the authorizing legislation into the '04 budget (following the Trent Lott meltdown a couple of years earlier that negated any influence he had regarding the project), it's just possible that ALDOT is still wincing a bit from having a major project such as I-22 laid at their doorstep and thus draining a sizeable portion of their resources.  Probably in time there will be at least auxiliary roadside BGS's directing traffic to I-22 from the adjoining Birmingham-area interstates -- but the concentration right now seems to be getting the 20/59 revision in the rear-view mirror.  Baby steps!     

Voyager75

AL 378 signs posted at Finley Blvd off I-65

Saw no mention of AL-378 Westbound once on Finley however. No end signage either. There was a AL-378 East sign in the median just off of US-78/Arkadelphia Rd. Plenty of To AL-378 trailblazers as well off I-20/59.

Which leads me to this...

So I guess US-78 is still officially routed along its original alignment from I-22 in Graysville to I-20/59 since ALDOT spent money to make these new signs indicating such. The 78 signs posted along I-22 from Graysville to I-65 might supposed to have a ALT banner attached to them? Unless they have been removed recently. I didn't make it up that way today.

Also why is it signed as 78 West only when you can go 78 East as well off the exit? ALDOT just baffles me...

iPhone

rcm195

Had wondered the same thing myself. What is the significance of Al-378? From what I've seen it starts at US 31 and Finley and ends at US 78? Is that it?

I don't understand really, the State of Alabama has made a bad mistake not finishing Corridor X(not I-22) all the way over to US 31. That would be the logical routing of US 78 then. Trunk them together going through North Birmingham, under 59/20, then on the Red Mountain Expressway before US 78 would exit off at the 3rd/4th avenue south exit.

Roadsguy

Quote from: rcm195 on June 04, 2018, 11:31:12 PM
I don't understand really, the State of Alabama has made a bad mistake not finishing Corridor X(not I-22) all the way over to US 31.

They do still intend to, right? They built a clear stub, complete with unused bridges. Was it supposed to be any more complicated than a simple T intersection?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Voyager75

Quote from: rcm195 on June 04, 2018, 11:31:12 PM
Had wondered the same thing myself. What is the significance of Al-378? From what I've seen it starts at US 31 and Finley and ends at US 78? Is that it?

I don't understand really, the State of Alabama has made a bad mistake not finishing Corridor X(not I-22) all the way over to US 31. That would be the logical routing of US 78 then. Trunk them together going through North Birmingham, under 59/20, then on the Red Mountain Expressway before US 78 would exit off at the 3rd/4th avenue south exit.

That would be the most logical in my opinion. These new 78 West signs at Arkadelphia Rd are leading me to think that ALDOT may intend to route 78 along 20/59 to US-31/280 (Red Mtn. Expressway) once the new bridges are built through downtown. It would be similar how US-431 was re-routed along I-20 in Oxford last year.

iPhone

jdb1234

While I was out Friday, I noticed that a slip ramp is being constructed on I-459 Northbound @ US 280.  This should divide traffic headed for US 280 westbound from US 280 eastbound eliminating a dangerous weave for people exit I-459 southbound headed for US 280 eastbound.

Brooks

Quote from: jdb1234 on June 09, 2018, 02:52:07 PM
While I was out Friday, I noticed that a slip ramp is being constructed on I-459 Northbound @ US 280.  This should divide traffic headed for US 280 westbound from US 280 eastbound eliminating a dangerous weave for people exit I-459 southbound headed for US 280 eastbound.

A rare wise decision by ALDOT here; as long as I can remember there have been horrible backups because of that merge/weave point. Especially when you factor in the massive amount of traffic that already comes through there.

Tom958

Quote from: Brooks on June 09, 2018, 04:08:33 PM

A rare wise decision by ALDOT here; as long as I can remember there have been horrible backups because of that merge/weave point. Especially when you factor in the massive amount of traffic that already comes through there.

Does it back up onto 459? Does it look like they're gonna do anything to lengthen the ramp, which would entail widening the bridge over Cahaba River Road? Whatever they do, it'll be interesting to see how they handle the signage from 459.

jdb1234

Quote from: Tom958 on June 09, 2018, 08:26:37 PM
Quote from: Brooks on June 09, 2018, 04:08:33 PM

Does it back up onto 459? Does it look like they're gonna do anything to lengthen the ramp, which would entail widening the bridge over Cahaba River Road? Whatever they do, it'll be interesting to see how they handle the signage from 459.

The ramp was lengthened and the bridge over Cahaba River Road on I-459 were widened about a decade ago.  I do not know if it back up onto I-459 but taking the ramp from I-459 Southbound to US 280 eastbound has been a pain as long as I can remember. 

Tom958

Quote from: jdb1234
Quote from: Tom958 on June 09, 2018, 08:26:37 PM

The ramp was lengthened and the bridge over Cahaba River Road on I-459 were widened about a decade ago.  I do not know if it back up onto I-459 but taking the ramp from I-459 Southbound to US 280 eastbound has been a pain as long as I can remember.

Ha, yeah. Great how I can specifically look for something and still not see it.  :crazy:

Anyway, I'll be interested to see how they do the 459 end, whether there'll be one offramp or two, and how it's signed. Thanks!

Charles2

The first two new ramps from the I-20/59-I-65 junction reconstruction are now open.  Sometime after 1:00 AM this morning the new ramp from 20E/59N to 6th Avenue North, and the new ramp from 65S to 6th Avenue opened.  At the same time the old ramp from 65S to 6th Avenue was closed.  I checked out both of the new off ramps this afternoon, but since I was driving by myself I couldn't take any pictures.  My guess is that next new ramps to open will be the ones from 65N and 20E/59N leading to 17th Street.  It looks like there's still some work left before the ramp from 65S to 17th can be opened.

rcm195

Just wondering if anyone had seen the article in various news outlets about the park concept to be built under the new viaducts 59/20 when they are completed? It's to be known as City Walk. Is there any examples of this in another city? It would stretch some 10 city blocks.

BamaZeus

A man climbed a gantry on I-20 just east of the split yesterday, for unknown reasons.  He was finally coaxed down and brought to the hospital for evaluation.

rcm195

The 11th Avenue North entrance ramps to I-65 north and southbound and I-59 south and I-20 westbound are now open according to Al.Com.

Charles2

Quote from: rcm195 on August 27, 2018, 12:38:16 PM
The 11th Avenue North entrance ramps to I-65 north and southbound and I-59 south and I-20 westbound are now open according to Al.Com.

Drove on all three of the ramps yesterday.  The ramp to I-65 southbound is, um, high.

rcm195

I've not had the opportunity to ride on it myself, but it reminds me of several I have driven on in Dallas Texas. Any idea how high this flyover is?

Charles2

Quote from: rcm195 on August 28, 2018, 10:25:04 PM
I've not had the opportunity to ride on it myself, but it reminds me of several I have driven on in Dallas Texas. Any idea how high this flyover is?

Not sure of the exact height, but an article on al.com said that it was the highest overpass in Birmingham.  I'm not sure how it compares to the height of the AL-108 flyover on I-85, but it's got to be in the same range.  It's definitely higher than the flyover from Red Mountain Expressway onto 20W/59S.  I'm curious about the height of the flyover from 25th Street to 20E/59N that's under construction.

rcm195

The 17th Street exit ramps have now officially opened. According to Al.Com only some cleanup work remains. Looks like all the guardrails that have damage are being replaced.
A big interchange just got bigger.

Charles2

Signs are now posted announcing that the 22nd Street exit from 20E/59N will close on September 10th.  Still no word on the exact date that 20/59 will shut down, although a story on WBRC-6 suggested that it may not come as soon as what had been previously anticipated.  I would expect that the completion of the repaving project on I-459 between Bessemer and Hoover will determine when 20/59 will be shut down.   

rcm195

The stories I've read on Al.Com and ALDOT are saying that 20/59 will not shut down until the end of the year or early 2019. My guess? If it's close to the holidays they will leave it open till the new year.

Charles2

Quote from: rcm195 on September 01, 2018, 08:58:55 AM
The stories I've read on Al.Com and ALDOT are saying that 20/59 will not shut down until the end of the year or early 2019. My guess? If it's close to the holidays they will leave it open till the new year.

Probably so, given the number of people who pass through Birmingham en route to Tuscaloosa for the religious festivals held on Saturday afternoons at Bryant-Denny Stadium.  :)

And the shut down date for the 22nd Street exit has been pulled forward to September 6th.

BamaZeus

Quote from: Charles2 on September 02, 2018, 01:00:47 AM
Quote from: rcm195 on September 01, 2018, 08:58:55 AM

Probably so, given the number of people who pass through Birmingham en route to Tuscaloosa for the religious festivals held on Saturday afternoons at Bryant-Denny Stadium.  :)

And the shut down date for the 22nd Street exit has been pulled forward to September 6th.

The funny thing is that it doesn't stop anything around Tuscaloosa.  They just started a giant repaving/redesign project of Lurleen Wallace Blvd downtown right before football season started.  Add that to the usual 20/59 construction, and continued work at the McFarland Blvd overpass, and it's going to be a cluster from here on out.

Voyager75

Went up I-65 North through downtown today for lunch and snagged a few pics of the new signage for the junction.

2 mile signage...it's just difficult to look at.

I do like the new median signage. But could it have killed them to stick I-22 on there as well?

1 mile signage. If you zoom in to the southbound side, you can see the back of one of the original button copy overheads that somehow survived the overhaul.

And ALDOT has already put up the I-20/59 detour shields for when the viaducts come down. Installed from the junction to AL-378/Finley Blvd. Over half of them are crooked or about to fall on the ground so it was a rush job. Down at the traffic light on the left side, one of the shields was literally laying out in the road. Got the green light unfortunately so I couldn't get a pic. That minivan is on top of it actually.

Had to rush back to work so I didn't get anything else unfortunately. I also didn't get a pic of one of the new signs on I-20/59 north at US-78/Arkadelphia Road when I went through there last week. It merely says US-78 West/Arkadelphia.
The word Road is omitted and folks traveling through have no clue that US-78 East is a option as well. I still believe that ALDOT plans to multiplex 78 with I-20/59 to US-31/280 once the new bridges are built.

iPhone

froggie

Quote from: Voyager75I do like the new median signage. But could it have killed them to stick I-22 on there as well?

Not at that location.  That median sign is a standard next-3-exits sign.  It wouldn't be appropriate to put I-22 on such a sign until you're north of Finley.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.