News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

I was watching the Oscars, and I saw a clip from "Mudbound." I swear there was a scene with a poorly made NY 22 shield. I didn't know this movie took place in Upstate New York.

roadman65

Quote from: thenetwork on March 04, 2018, 11:06:41 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 03, 2018, 10:55:28 PM
In that clear choice commercial there is a two level continuous arched bridge over a city and then a truss span over a waterway.  What bridge and what city is that in?

Clear Choice is the dental implant place that gives new teeth in one day (although my dentist says its impossible to do more than a few at a time) which has a woman standing in a park with the bridge behind her.

Cleveland -- East Bank of the Flats:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4967885,-81.7004063,3a,75y,157.07h,84.72t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssEkEdcpwneMPKlfWok9Nqg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DsEkEdcpwneMPKlfWok9Nqg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D60.54779%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

They pretty much shot the whole commercial within Settler's Landing Park by the Cuyahoga River.
So that bridge carries the three US Routes of 6.20, and 42 across the Cyahoga River?  I am guessing a subway runs under superior Avenue?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

Quote from: roadman65 on March 05, 2018, 05:41:07 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on March 04, 2018, 11:06:41 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 03, 2018, 10:55:28 PM
In that clear choice commercial there is a two level continuous arched bridge over a city and then a truss span over a waterway.  What bridge and what city is that in?

Clear Choice is the dental implant place that gives new teeth in one day (although my dentist says its impossible to do more than a few at a time) which has a woman standing in a park with the bridge behind her.

Cleveland -- East Bank of the Flats:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4967885,-81.7004063,3a,75y,157.07h,84.72t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssEkEdcpwneMPKlfWok9Nqg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DsEkEdcpwneMPKlfWok9Nqg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D60.54779%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

They pretty much shot the whole commercial within Settler's Landing Park by the Cuyahoga River.
So that bridge carries the three US Routes of 6.20, and 42 across the Cyahoga River?  I am guessing a subway runs under superior Avenue?

Yes on the 3 US Highways...
"Ran" is the operative word on the former streetcar subway which ran on the lower deck of the bridge until around 1954.

D-Dey65

GHayesNRP

In the music video for the song "Believe" by the Hard Rock Band Staind there are glimpses of a few signs including a city limit sign for the city of Springfield, MA, an exit sign for exit 1 on I-91 South for US-5/ Springfield, Longmeadow, Signage on I-95 for the Fort McHenry Tunnel/Baltimore and  Signage for exit 130 on I 64 in Illinois for IL-1 and Greyville,

Max Rockatansky

California 198 gets mentioned in a mid-movie scene in San Andreas as being 70 miles away after the Rock encounters a giant crevice in the San Andreas Fault.  However King City is posted something like 50 miles away on a guide sign which somewhere to the south.  If that was the case CA 198 would be about 30-40 miles away.  But then again the San Andreas Fault is way out of place in the movie and would be in the middle of CA 198 at the junction with CA 25 so who am I to question geographic inaccuracy in a popcorn movie?

SectorZ

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 08, 2018, 11:07:37 PM
California 198 gets mentioned in a mid-movie scene in San Andreas as being 70 miles away after the Rock encounters a giant crevice in the San Andreas Fault.  However King City is posted something like 50 miles away on a guide sign which somewhere to the south.  If that was the case CA 198 would be about 30-40 miles away.  But then again the San Andreas Fault is way out of place in the movie and would be in the middle of CA 198 at the junction with CA 25 so who am I to question geographic inaccuracy in a popcorn movie?

To be fair, the only stuff that was accurate in that movie was that there is a San Andreas Fault and that it causes earthquakes.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on April 09, 2018, 09:13:36 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 08, 2018, 11:07:37 PM

To be fair, the only stuff that was accurate in that movie was that there is a San Andreas Fault and that it causes earthquakes.

At least it wasn't 2012 levels of bad, first time seeing it last night.  The physics of buildings just gradually falling on their side instead of pancaking and the nonchalant reactions was amusing.

D-Dey65

Check out the old signs in this 1970 movie on railroad crossing safety produced by Southern Pacific, Western Pacific, Union Pacific, and Santa Fe Railroads;

https://youtu.be/MiuFw4tbqK4

MarkF

Here's the old Interstate 10 west to US 101 south connector, as seen in the 1978 movie "Up in Smoke":

This movie also has a few shots of the Pasadena Freeway, I-210, PCH north of Santa Monica, and the CA2/I-5 interchange.

ErmineNotyours

From the thread's title, I was thinking this would be a thread about the fake-looking signs that movie studio prop departments make, but they never get it right.  Such as in Harry and the Hendersons (1987)

Fake highway sign from Harry and the Hendersons by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

Actual location

I had another sign in mind from Three Fugitives (1989) but that movie is no longer on Netflix.

Max Rockatansky

Jurrassic World Fallen Kingdom had a US 101 shield on a sign directing traffic to Orick, CA. 

D-Dey65

A reverse black and white "Do Not Enter" sign in the 1973 movie "The Mad Bomber."

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle.php?id=1159141

Another one of those signs I only saw on TV, in movies, or in news footage.

D-Dey65

Here's something odd. I know it's a railroad sign, but it's kind of hard not to notice. It was from the 1986 Kirk Douglas-Burt Lancaster movie "Tough Guys," which I remember seeing in the theaters, but I forgot about this scene.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_50944-Chevrolet-Impala-1981.html

A yellow diamond stop sign with black lettering and red reflectors on the sides.

Is this something that only existed on old Southern Pacific Railway lines, or what's the deal with those?

roadman65

In the opening sequence of the show Alice, I believe that the scene where the camera (when introducing Phillip McKeon)  passes under a sign bridge that reads I-10 West to Phoenix and I-10 East to El Paso is at the north end of I-19?

Being that both Phoenix and El Paso appear together means that only Tucson can be the only place that can be.  Also being the scene was shot there on what appeared to be a freeway, I would deduct that it was I-19.

Sheryl Crowe

jbnv

Quote from: Gulol on November 29, 2016, 06:08:24 PM
From the TV Series "Alice" opening credits about 24 seconds in - gantry for I-10 west to Phoenix, east to El Paso.  Not sure where this would have been ... I-19 maybe?

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

thenetwork

Quote from: jbnv on August 01, 2018, 01:31:54 PM
Quote from: Gulol on November 29, 2016, 06:08:24 PM
From the TV Series "Alice" opening credits about 24 seconds in - gantry for I-10 west to Phoenix, east to El Paso.  Not sure where this would have been ... I-19 maybe?

Correct!  It is the northern terminus of I-19 @ I-10.  What you see in the opening credits is nowhere near what that interchange looks like today!!!

abefroman329

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 24, 2018, 12:19:01 PM
Anyone see "The Goldbergs" episode "The Circle of Driving Again?" There's a scene where Adam Goldberg is being taught to drive by his parents and grandfather and the railroad crossing they're approaching includes one of these signs under the standard yellow Railroad Crossing circle:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MUTCD_R15-8.svg

I'm pretty sure these didn't exist anytime during the 1980's.
That show is barely committed to being set in the 80s. They'll have characters obsessed with early 80s and late 80s pop culture phenomena in the same ep, and sometimes throw in stuff from the early 90s because fuck it, why not.

abefroman329

There's a really crappy fake directional sign (complete with the last half of a two-word city name in all lowercase letters) in The Birdcage that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet.

roadman65

In a 1980's music video, the song Life In A Northern Town by some British Rock Band, uses images taken on the Pulaski Skyway looking down at the South Kearny Industrial Area seeing some smoke stacks of some plant that was either there at the time or still there.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on August 13, 2018, 11:10:51 AM
In a 1980's music video, the song Life In A Northern Town by some British Rock Band, uses images taken on the Pulaski Skyway looking down at the South Kearny Industrial Area seeing some smoke stacks of some plant that was either there at the time or still there.
Dream Academy.  I just learned that the song was produced by David Gilmour, which makes complete sense.

bing101

D-Dey65

The recent Spike Lee movie "BlacKkKlansman" is supposed to take place in Colorado Springs, Colorado, but there's a scene just before a proposed cross burning that has what appears to be a couple of Westchester County parkway shields in the background. As it turns out, parts of the movie were filmed in Ossining.

kurumi

At 0:40 and a few other places in Rush's "Subdivisions", there's an aerial view of the 401/DVP/404 interchange in a city whose airport code is YYZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYYdQB0mkEU
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bzakharin

In the music video for "You're gonna go far, kid" we are treated to some post-apocalyptic road backgrounds. Only the I-4 sign is readily readable. Any idea if the other ones are real and if so, where they are?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.