News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida's colored shields

Started by FLRoads, January 19, 2009, 01:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

A couple more Pasco County styled yellow U.S. 301 shields that are no longer posted:

Both of these assemblies were on Pasco County Road 54 west, pictured in 2006, gone by late 2007.

florida

This used to hang on Volusia CR 4075 north at A1A.....before 2004.

So many roads...so little time.

FLRoads

Did one of the hurricanes take it down? I went through the northern portions of Daytona Beach after Charlie hit and that part was fairly damaged with multiple span wire signals either damaged or gone, so I would not be surprised if that is what happened.

florida

That is what happened. I can't remember if it was replaced or not with a regular sign. There is a project in Volusia County (from the District 5 site) stating they're taking down all the overheads, but the job hasn't been assigned yet. I'll have to get pictures of all them when I get over to Daytona again.

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 27, 2009, 04:41:18 PM

the US 11s are gone.  Only one was left in September 2006, and by July 2008 that one was gone too.

It was gone before March 2008 when I drove through town. :(
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

florida

Indian River County

Pasco CR 575 south at US 98. They look like county-made reproductions.

I think this was in Panama City Beach. It was taken on 12/13/03.

Alex

This yellow U.S. 301 was in Sarasota...

florida

It's still there!? When was that photo taken?

Alex

Quote from: florida on August 03, 2009, 06:24:23 PM
It's still there!? When was that photo taken?

The <-> shield is still there, but the junction was replaced. Photo was taken 12/31/05.

florida

Saw it last in '03. Main Street used to be old 780 when it used to be on current 789. GSV shows that the sign has been replaced with a standard one.

getemngo

I just found a picture online (arizonaroads.com) of Arizona's colored-by-direction shields.

So what color was used for East?
~ Sam from Michigan

agentsteel53

east was brown.

see some classic Arizona shields here, including a higher resolution version of that scan from Florence Junction.

www.aaroads.com/shields/thumbs.php?state=AZ
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

RoadWarrior56

I love the "Indian" symbol in the arrowhead on those old Arizona state road signs from the sign link in the previous post.

Who would had thought there were swastika's on state road signs.

agentsteel53

even better, they kept it after the war!  victory achieved, it was time to reclaim symbols!

jake@aaroads.com

wandering drive

RE: agentsteel53's post on the first page:

That City US 14 sign in Janesville has been replaced with this uninteresting specimen.
Thankfully, this one survived.  Is that supposed to be yellow or is it just that old and rusted?

florida

agentsteel53

Quote from: wandering drive on August 31, 2009, 03:42:36 PM
Is that supposed to be yellow or is it just that old and rusted?

it is indeed yellow.

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

I have to ask. Are there any of these FL colored shields left?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 16, 2009, 04:35:48 PM

there sure are.  Check Lazy County ... err, Levy County.  They seem to be the least concerned about modernizing their signs.

jake@aaroads.com

FLRoads

There are several shields left throughout the state, and hopefully they stay there... :nod:

florida

Quote from: HighwayMaster on October 18, 2009, 03:20:47 PM

Where exactly was that shield located?

It was at 53(rd) St, westbound, north of Vero Beach. That street is the connector between Indian River Blvd/Rd/something (CR 603 & bits of SR 60 in Vero proper) and US 1. You can't miss the CVS when coming up US 1  :)

D-Dey65

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 16, 2009, 05:07:21 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 16, 2009, 04:35:48 PM

there sure are.  Check Lazy County ... err, Levy County.  They seem to be the least concerned about modernizing their signs.
Oh yeah. I've got an image of one from 2005. I checked Google Maps Street view and the sign I took a picture of is still there. But right now, I've got something a little different. It's a reverse Black & White Alternate US 19 sheild at the end of Dunedin Causeway(Pinellas CR 586). I took this in the Spring 2002, as far as I know it remains in tact.

FLRoads

That is more than likely a carbon-copy of the original reverse red on white sign. There are several reverse black and while U.S. 19 & 98 signs like that in Citrus County.

Alex

That was definitely the case with this U.S. 231 shield in Bay County:

D-Dey65

Here's that sign in Levy County I told you about. It's on southbound Levy CR 341 in Chiefland.

Looks like crap, I know. But it was a rainy November day.

Quote from: flaroadgeek on October 25, 2009, 10:01:16 PM
That is more than likely a carbon-copy of the original reverse red on white sign. There are several reverse black and while U.S. 19 & 98 signs like that in Citrus County.
I know. I've snapped a few of those too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.