News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

US Midwest and South, Oct. 2018: "Oh, great, LA and Boston 'World' Series. Yay for big coastal TV markets. At least there's the NFL..."

US Midwest and South, Jan. 2019: "What the f-"
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kevinb1994

Quote from: kurumi on January 22, 2019, 11:10:17 AM
US Midwest and South, Oct. 2018: "Oh, great, LA and Boston 'World' Series. Yay for big coastal TV markets. At least there's the NFL..."

Exactly my thoughts. At least there's the NHL...

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 22, 2019, 12:48:04 PM

Go Bruins and Kings
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 22, 2019, 12:59:45 PM

Go Bruins and Kings

Kings in last place, may wanna ride the Boston train rest of the year
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

dvferyance

Quote from: cjk374 on January 21, 2019, 08:39:34 PM
I am told that the NFL is going to rename the Super Bowl to the "Tom Brady Invitational".

I for one will not be watching the Super (toilet)Bowl this year. Not just because my Saints were robbed, I don't care for either team in the game. This could be the lowest rated Super Bowl in viewership ever. I don't think there is a conspiracy behind the suck-ass calls (and lack of calls), but I hope Godell is very proud of the Super Bowl that has been created by his refs.

WHO DAT DAMMIT!!! Saints for SB LIV.
I agree I probably won't watch it either this is about the crappiest match up we could have gotten my 2 most hated teams. Cheating Brady vs lying Kroenke. I expect record low rating this year. There is one way I don't have to see another Brady super bowl simply don't watch it.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: LM117 on January 22, 2019, 10:01:00 AM
Quote from: formulanone on January 22, 2019, 06:22:16 AMI'm not suggesting a "fix", but I think that having a plausible underdog and a bit of a villain always makes for good TV.

Kinda hard to make good TV when both teams come off as villains. The Pats are almost universally hated and there are many (including myself) who believe the Rams wouldn't even be in the Super Bowl if it wasn't for the refs doing the birdbox challenge. I don't hate the Rams themselves for it, but I'm sure some view them as guilty by association.

Well, the tuck rule gave us the Patriots winning their first Super Bowl and the one that started their dynasty, so maybe this will give the Rams a dynasty as well. Not to say that's a good thing, but the domino effect could make it happen.

I think the Lightning are gonna win it this year. I haven't followed much hockey lately, but they seem to be doing very well and they currently have the most points in the league.

Speaking of Boston-LA championships, I'm also hoping for a Celtics-Lakers NBA final in 2020. Not this year, because I'm hoping it's the Bucks' turn to shine. Just anyone but the Warriors this year.
Forget the I-41 haters

MantyMadTown

I'm seeing a lot of parallels between this year's Super Bowl and the one in 2001. The Rams becoming a great team shortly after making the move to another city, them wearing their old jerseys, and them facing the Patriots again in the Super Bowl. Only this time it's in reverse. Back in 2001, the Rams were a juggernaut team looking to repeat its Super Bowl victory two years earlier. This time, it's the Patriots who are looking to repeat their past Super Bowl victories, and continue their dynasty by adding a 6th Lombardi trophy to their collection.

The Rams' offense is outstanding: one of the best in the league. Brady and Belichick's Patriots will play against a rehash of the Greatest Show on Turf. Jared Goff is the new Kurt Warner, and Todd Gurley is the new Marshall Faulk.

The Patriots have come full circle. Maybe Greg Zuerlein can make a last-second field goal to win it for the Rams just like Adam Vinatieri did for the Pats in 2001, but who knows? A Super Bowl loss for the Rams meant the end of greatness for them, but only time will tell if this year's Super Bowl will be the end for the Patriots.
Forget the I-41 haters

Scott5114

I actually watched (and enjoyed) the Kansas City game!

Quote from: LM117 on January 22, 2019, 09:54:01 AM
Quote from: oscar on January 21, 2019, 09:02:26 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on January 21, 2019, 08:39:34 PM
This could be the lowest rated Super Bowl in viewership ever.

Maybe. But whether by coincidence or not, it could boost viewership and overall NFL popularity in the huge Los Angeles television market, which has all of a sudden gone from no pro football to a Super Bowl team and another one (the Chargers) that also made the playoffs.

I've seen a few comments elsewhere that believes Goodell wanted an LA team in the Super Bowl for that very reason, hence the New Orleans Screwjob (throwback term for Montreal Screwjob for wrestling fans).

I had mentioned during the game to someone I was watching with that I kind of wondered if the league had an interest in setting up an east coast/west coast game.

The TV we were watching it on had no audio (it was at work) so the guy I was watching with was doing a hilarious overly-supplicant butler routine every time the refs were shown on screen where he was going "Oh, Lord Belichick, how may I serve you today? You say you'd like a ten yard penalty against the Chiefs? Certainly, my Lord Belichick..." At one point, they called a penalty against the Patriots and he was like "Wow, I wonder how that one got through?" and I replied "Guess the check hasn't cleared yet." Next play, there was a call against the Chiefs, and I said "Ah, the check just cleared."
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MantyMadTown on January 22, 2019, 07:13:40 PM
I'm seeing a lot of parallels between this year's Super Bowl and the one in 2001. The Rams becoming a great team shortly after making the move to another city, them wearing their old jerseys, and them facing the Patriots again in the Super Bowl. Only this time it's in reverse. Back in 2001, the Rams were a juggernaut team looking to repeat its Super Bowl victory two years earlier. This time, it's the Patriots who are looking to repeat their past Super Bowl victories, and continue their dynasty by adding a 6th Lombardi trophy to their collection.

The Rams' offense is outstanding: one of the best in the league. Brady and Belichick's Patriots will play against a rehash of the Greatest Show on Turf. Jared Goff is the new Kurt Warner, and Todd Gurley is the new Marshall Faulk.

The Patriots have come full circle. Maybe Greg Zuerlein can make a last-second field goal to win it for the Rams just like Adam Vinatieri did for the Pats in 2001, but who knows? A Super Bowl loss for the Rams meant the end of greatness for them, but only time will tell if this year's Super Bowl will be the end for the Patriots.
Another comparison is that both the 2001 Patriots and the 2018 Rams won a playoff game on a controversial call.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 23, 2019, 09:36:54 AM

Another comparison is that both the 2001 Patriots and the 2018 Rams won a playoff game on a controversial call.

This call wasn't controversial. Opinion is pretty much unanimous that the wrong call was made.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 23, 2019, 09:36:54 AM

The 2001 call was not controversial so much as the rule behind the call being very poorly written.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

cjk374

You ain't seen nothing yet. I added to the above list since your post.

There really is something different about Saints fans vs the other 31 fan bases. I believe there is a larger feel of family between the team and the fans. It has been said many times that the Saints players are so much more approachable than other athletes...as if they could all sit around, have a beer and bullshit about anything and everything in life. Obviously there is no way to properly gauge the passion of all 32 fan bases. But there is just something different about members of the WhoDat nation. I mean, grown ass bearded men were crying when Drew Brees broke Manning's pass completion record earlier this year.

Dare I try to remind y'all of the first home game in the Dome after Katrina?

Believe me when I say this...it comes from the bottom of my heart: The WhoDat nation IS the strongest and most passionate fan base in the NFL! WHO DAT!!!! :nod: :bigass:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

MNHighwayMan

TheHighwayMan3561

An Illinois HS team took it to court when a blown call cost them a game in the section playoffs a couple years ago. The judge told them to F off.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Ben114

Quote from: MantyMadTown on January 22, 2019, 06:55:56 PM
Just anyone but the Warriors this year.
It'll be hard for the Warriors, only because LeBron went to the Lakers.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Ben114 on January 26, 2019, 07:30:41 PM
The Lakers aren't even in the top 8.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Big John

^^ and the asterisk doesn't involve the Patriots this time.

Alps

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 26, 2019, 08:19:12 PM

The strange thing is for the first time in about 20 years the balance of power seems to have swung to the Eastern Conference, so we'll see if the Bucks/Raptors/Celtics can slay the beast.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MantyMadTown

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 26, 2019, 11:17:37 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 26, 2019, 08:19:12 PM

The strange thing is for the first time in about 20 years the balance of power seems to have swung to the Eastern Conference, so we'll see if the Bucks/Raptors/Celtics can slay the beast.

And I'm loving it! Even LeBron joining the Lakers and making the West more stacked isn't helping the Western Conference now! Go Bucks!
Forget the I-41 haters

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.