News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

Started by mtantillo, August 14, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 21, 2023, 11:50:54 PM
Quote from: froggie on October 21, 2023, 09:59:57 PM
All well and good in Stafford County.  The problem is there isn't room for such in Fairfax County without some pretty significant engineering and construction (and probably right-of-way).
Perhaps VDOT should get the ball rolling on such a thing. Elevated or sunken express lanes are both options, and both have been successfully implemented in other areas. They're not impossible.

I never said they were impossible.  Technically and engineering-wise, yes it is possible.  But what you continually ignore on this forum is the political and financial reality.

Sure, Transurban sold the state on a "sweet deal" to invest a few billion in the existing lanes.  But to get bi-directional through the aforementioned choke points would require a order-of-magnitude higher investment.  How high would tolls have to get for Transurban to pony up that much more cash?  And, moreso, would the traveling public be willing to accept that higher toll?  They're already screaming enough as it is.

1995hoo

Here is something new starting next week. I'm having trouble envisioning where this "diversion" will occur. The only slip ramp I can picture for northbound traffic in that area is down by the Prince William Parkway.

https://twitter.com/VAExpressLanes/status/1720075304612642904
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 02, 2023, 09:51:36 AM
Here is something new starting next week. I'm having trouble envisioning where this "diversion" will occur. The only slip ramp I can picture for northbound traffic in that area is down by the Prince William Parkway.

https://twitter.com/VAExpressLanes/status/1720075304612642904

This is the ramp they mean...
https://maps.app.goo.gl/PtUENt1U1o92VXGf7

froggie

Given the description, the slip ramp near PW Pkwy does seem logical.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 02, 2023, 12:57:20 PM

Thanks. That's the one I thought of, but I wouldn't consider that to be "near" Route 123, especially in view of the map they posted.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 02, 2023, 01:32:00 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on November 02, 2023, 12:57:20 PM

Thanks. That's the one I thought of, but I wouldn't consider that to be "near" Route 123, especially in view of the map they posted.

It's signed for VA 123 which may be the source of their description.  If they said "at VA 294" that would confuse people because there is no VA 294 posting NB on the express lanes.

1995hoo

Channel 4 just reported that the remaining new access points for the I-95 HO/T lanes' southern extension will open on December 7.

Mapmikey

They have now redone the segments at the south end of I-95 in both directions.  As was predicted, SB the last segment is SR 610 to US 17; NB the first segment is US 17 to the first possible exit, the slip ramp to access Exit 148 Quantico MCB.

Two unusual things:  NB from US 17, the toll rates are shown for Quantico and Dumfries, always the same price.  Because you would use the same Exit 148 slip ramp.  But it is not signed as being for Dumfries.

The other is that at both the SR 610 entrance ramps to NB and the new last entrance ramp from 95 SB to the lanes, they list prices for destinations that are not in the same segment.  Then shortly after entering the lanes you get another set of toll rates if you don't depart at the next exit.  The values are always less than what was on the mainline signs you just went under.  This may be confusing to motorists when they think they should be charged the lower numbers.

Also, they have not expanded the 70 mph zone with the opening of the Quantico area ramps (though there are still some temporary jersey walls up).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.