News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Kansas state highway shields?

Started by minneha, March 18, 2024, 02:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minneha

I took this photo recently on K-14 just south of Ellsworth. The state highway shield here has a yellow border around its edge. Is this the new design for Kansas state highway shields?

kphoger

I can't find the thread right now, but this has been discussed before.  It might not have been K-14 specifically, but the yellow border for sure.  Anyway, it was determined to be a one-off type of error.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

I've seen signs like that for K-5. Past discussions have theorized that since the black ink doesn't go all the way to the edge, it's somewhat easier to manufacture them that way (thus why yellow caution diamonds have their black borders inset from the edge of the sign).

The gold piping looks sharp to me, so I don't mind it. MoDOT puts a similar white border on their shields.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

In general. at least for my state, I've noticed that on signs with white lettering and borders, the border extends all the way to the edge of the sign. On signs with black lettering (warning signs, etc.) the border is inlaid from the edge. I've always wondered about that discrepancy.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bobby5280

If the entire sign panel was painted yellow prior to graphics being applied to the face then it would probably make sense for the edges to be yellow.

It's pretty common for graphics to be brought in a bit from the edge of the sign panel, whether the graphics are printed, screened or made with cut vinyl. Registration is an issue. Sign blanks aren't always made perfectly to spec. Standard 12" X 18" parking sign blanks are especially bad in that regard. The corner radius sizes are often out of kilter. All these highway sign blanks have curved corner radii.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.