News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Anyone going to Area 51?

Started by US 41, July 13, 2019, 10:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

You know, to go see them aliens. The page is called "Storm Area 51, They can't Stop All of Us". Currently 645K are going and 601K are interested on Facebook. It's supposed to happen September 20th.

This is obviously a joke, but I'm kind of wondering if anyone will actually show up. I'm sure whoever made this page didn't think over a million people would be interested in it.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

I hope they do show up and try. I'll be waiting on the other side of US 95 in a lawn chair with popcorn and Coke to laugh when they fail. Or on the off chance they do make it inside, laugh when they can't find anything they were looking for.

VS988

MikieTimT

Quote from: 707 on July 13, 2019, 11:22:47 AM
I hope they do show up and try. I'll be waiting on the other side of US 95 in a lawn chair with popcorn and Coke to laugh when they fail. Or on the off chance they do make it inside, laugh when they can't find anything they were looking for.

VS988

By the time Sept. 20 rolls around, the feds will have moved anything of interest to Area 52.

corco

I'd be down to try this - Area 51 is only a quick overnight trip away. Though it's really annoying this isn't happening on a weekend day.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 13, 2019, 03:50:33 PM
This can't end well.

Sure it can. A bunch of morons will get arrested for trying to enter a secure government site. That's a good day in my book.

briantroutman

The call from this "pilot"  was horribly staged, but it was incredible entertainment nonetheless.

adventurernumber1

Even though Area 51 has somewhat of a meme status and is often tossed around in popular culture, there's no reason to bring this side of it into reality, because I definitely could not foresee something like this going well. Even with the news beforehand that people would supposedly be "storming in"  on that date, I don't think the military/government personnel will be quick to joke around, and I could see that there might indeed be a lot of arrests and people getting in trouble for a stupid decision because of it. I'd say I hope this stays confined to the internet, and that nobody actually goes pointlessly running to Area 51 in real life.  :crazy:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

oscar

Quote from: MikieTimT on July 13, 2019, 12:06:15 PM
By the time Sept. 20 rolls around, the feds will have moved anything of interest to Area 52.

When I visited Rachel NV near Area 51 in the mid-1990s, the consensus among the UFO crazies who hang out there was that anything interesting had long been quietly moved elsewhere, and that is the only thing the government is trying to hide.

It was putting on a good show, however. I drove to the Area 51 perimeter, to take photos of signs on the boundary fence (including the ones threatening lethal force for intruders, and forbidding photographs of the area). There were menacing SUVs on the other side of the fence. The drivers made sure I knew that they knew I was in the vicinity, in case I had any ideas about crashing the gates to enter Area 51. But no attempts to hassle me.

The folklore also had it that anyone caught crossing the fence into Area 51 doesn't get "arrested", but they do get a serious beating before they're kicked out.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on July 13, 2019, 03:58:44 PM
This can't end well.

Sure it can. A bunch of morons will get arrested for trying to enter a secure government site. That's a good day in my book.
Hence my idea with the lawn chair and popcorn. Now all we need is the Benny Hill theme song.

VS988

vdeane

I can't help but think of this when the idea of breaking into Area 51 comes up.  These people won't have time/space powers or technology to help them, so I don't see good stuff coming from it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Goldfield and US 6 between Tonopah and Ely are far more interesting than anything going on at Nellis Air Force Range.  Granted I think it would be pretty neat to tour some of the old mining sites of the Tonopah Mining District. 

texaskdog

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on July 13, 2019, 03:58:44 PM
This can't end well.

No, they will all be shot

roadman65

Its all testing of new government aircraft and weapons.  Some look like UFO's as they were never out before.  Of course with technology the Russians, ISIS, or whomever our enemies are can see what goes on in Area 51 before even the President (whether Obama, Trump, Bush, or Slick Willie) will know.

Though I do not believe we are alone in the Universe and I am not talking about my religious beliefs meaning other life in the heavens.  I believe strongly in the fact other solar systems can have planets like us.  Though I am not saying that Area 51 has met some other forms of life, but I am not saying that they have not either.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman65 on July 18, 2019, 10:30:34 AM
Its all testing of new government aircraft and weapons.  Some look like UFO's as they were never out before.  Of course with technology the Russians, ISIS, or whomever our enemies are can see what goes on in Area 51 before even the President (whether Obama, Trump, Bush, or Slick Willie) will know.

Also, if we are trying to prevent access to Area 51, we aren't defending the rest of the country as effectively.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

cjk374

Everyone who tries to storm Area 51 wins a Darwin Award!  :-D :pan:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Roadgeekteen

Just musing, what if all 400,000 people who signed the petition show up to raid area 51? If some are armed, this could turn very ugly very quickly, if they are willing to use force to try to break it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 20, 2019, 04:46:51 PM
Just musing, what if all 400,000 people who signed the petition show up to raid area 51? If some are armed, this could turn very ugly very quickly, if they are willing to use force to try to break it.

I would highly doubt even 1% of that 400,000 people even has the slightest clue how remote Area 51 of the Nellis Air Force Range really is.  Don't forgot were talking ear shot of the 160 mile plus no service zone of US 6 between Tonopah and Ely.

tolbs17

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.