News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ambiguous City Names

Started by webny99, May 13, 2020, 05:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on May 18, 2020, 12:28:11 PM
Yes, it's like asking people how to pronounce the capital of Kentucky:  is it Lou-ee-ville or is it Lou-iss-ville?  Nope, it's pronounced Frank-furrt.
Biggest city is Loo-eh-vull
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: Rothman on May 18, 2020, 08:19:26 PM
Yes, it's like asking people how to pronounce the capital of Kentucky:  is it Lou-ee-ville or is it Lou-iss-ville?  Nope, it's pronounced Frank-furrt.

More like Loo-vull, with two syllables.

Rothman

Quote from: US 89 on May 18, 2020, 08:37:22 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 18, 2020, 08:19:26 PM

More like Loo-vull, with two syllables.
Nah.  There's a little hitch in there if you listen closely.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sprjus4

Rothman

Scott5114

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 17, 2020, 11:49:30 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2020, 05:58:47 AM
Quote from: GaryV on May 15, 2020, 07:13:30 PM
Does the average Oklahoman even know what a borough is, let alone know their names?

I think there's a vague awareness that NYC has "boroughs", and Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn are boroughs. They don't know how many there are or what the other ones are. So you could slip in counterfeit boroughs pretty easily.
I'm pretty sure they'd know The Bronx as well as Staten Island despite Staten Island being the forgotten borough.

Nobody here knows or cares about the Bronx or Staten Island.

Just for fun, I quizzed my wife. I asked how many NYC boroughs there are. She said, "you mean, like the neighborhoods?" I said they're basically counties, but yeah. She didn't know how many there were. I asked her to name as many as she could. She got Manhattan and Brooklyn. After some hinting around about King of Queens she got Queens. She said she didn't know any others. I asked her to guess. "The Hamptons?"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

I would have guessed more people would know the Bronx because of the Yankees, but maybe they think that's just a neighborhood or a nickname for that part of town.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 19, 2020, 07:08:33 AM
I would have guessed more people would know the Bronx because of the Yankees, but maybe they think that's just a neighborhood or a nickname for that part of town.
Brooklyn actually has a sports team named after it, Bronx does not.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 19, 2020, 09:12:43 AM

When the Dodgers were founded, Brooklyn was still a separate city and not yet merged with NYC. When the Yankees were founded, the Bronx had already been part of NYC for a while.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

roadman65

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 19, 2020, 09:19:01 AM

When the Dodgers were founded, Brooklyn was still a separate city and not yet merged with NYC. When the Yankees were founded, the Bronx had already been part of NYC for a while.

But, the Nets moved in long after NYC absorb the City of Brooklyn.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: roadman65 on May 19, 2020, 09:24:33 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 19, 2020, 09:19:01 AM

But, the Nets moved in long after NYC absorb the City of Brooklyn.

Right, but the Dodgers gave Brooklyn notoriety that the other absorbed areas didn't have. Unlikely the Nets ever used the Brooklyn name if not for the Dodgers.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

empirestate

Right, I think people tend to recognize the name, but not what it represents as a political entity. And that's not completely unfair in the Bronx's case, as it has perhaps the weakest name-identity outside of the borough system. Brooklyn was, after all, a separate city (and a major one at that); Queens has always been a county; and both Manhattan and Staten Island are recognized to be–well, islands. But the Bronx was a part of Westchester County until it was set off to become a borough of New York City (and even then, it didn't comprise a separate county until 1914).

plain

Richmond. When I'm traveling I usually tell people I live in Virginia (versus the city specifically) because they'll assume I'm talking about anything other than the capital of VA  :-D
Newark born, Richmond bred

webny99

Another one that I don't think has been mentioned: Murfreesboro, AR vs TN.

The TN one is much bigger population-wise, but the AR one is much more famous.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on May 28, 2020, 10:10:40 AM

Whereas I think of the one in North Carolina because I lived in that state for three years.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jmacswimmer

How about Cambridge?  There's a small one in MD along US 50 on the eastern shore, and the larger one across the Charles from Boston.  But with zero context, a lot of people might first think of the one across the pond in England.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jmacswimmer on May 28, 2020, 10:45:59 AM
How about Cambridge?  There's a small one in MD along US 50 on the eastern shore, and the larger one across the Charles from Boston.  But with zero context, a lot of people might first think of the one across the pond in England.
Most people I know would think of the MA one first.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 28, 2020, 11:43:28 AM

Gee, I wonder why.

Bruce

Seattle has a neighborhood called Montlake, because it has views of the mountain and is situated on a lake.

There is a suburban city named Mountlake Terrace, because it has views of the mountain and the lake.

Apparently the two are mixed up quite often. Mountlake Terrace passed ordinances in the 1990s that required city employees to always use the full name rather than the nickname ("the Terrace") in part to prevent confusion with Montlake.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 28, 2020, 02:28:22 PM

Gee, I wonder why.
Always thought that the MA one was more well known nationwide because of Harvard and MIT but maybe I'm wrong.

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 28, 2020, 03:22:39 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 28, 2020, 02:28:22 PM

Gee, I wonder why.
Always thought that the MA one was more well known nationwide because of Harvard and MIT but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd wager the one in Massachusetts is better-known nationally than the one in Maryland, but I wouldn't be surprised to find the one in England is better-known nationally than either of those, especially since the Queen gave William and Catherine the titles of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (never underestimate how much the newspapers' "style" sections focus on the Royal Family).

webny99

One thing is for sure: Cambridge, NY is less well-known than the one in England, MA or MD. There's also a Cambridge in Ontario, Canada, and one in New Zealand.

But Cambridge, NY the still the first one that comes to mind for me because it's the only one in the US that I've been to (although I've also been to Cambridge, ON, many times).

Eth

I can't say I'd ever heard of the one in Arkansas before this post. Tennessee, sure.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Eth on May 28, 2020, 07:07:01 PM

I can't say I'd ever heard of the one in Arkansas before this post. Tennessee, sure.

Same here.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

TheHighwayMan3561

There are also fairly well known regional Cambridges in MN (north of MSP) and WI (east of Madison)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.