News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PE Exam

Started by Alps, October 02, 2010, 02:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

At the end of the month (hopefully) I sit for my civil engineering PE Exam.  I've asked people questions but it's hard to really get at what I want to ask.  I'm looking for: What topics are covered?  What resources do I need?  What do I need to study, versus what can I bring in a book and reference while I'm sitting at the exam?  What sort of references do I need?  I know it can be easy to bring a shopping cart full of books, which I want to avoid.  Anyone who's taken it before, I appreciate the advice.

Brandon

Bring the Michael Lomberg book.  It's the best one out there, IMHO.  I took the environmental, and mine was full of OSHA, NIOSH, and EPA books as well as the Lomberg one.  Passed it on the first try.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

What book is that?  Does it have relevance to civil?

hbelkins

Wonder how different these are from state to state? I work with a young man who recently passed his PE in Kentucky. If you'd like, I can give you his name and e-mail address if you'd like to ask him about his experience.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 02, 2010, 08:42:02 PM

Lindeberg, not Lomberg (why was I thinking Lomberg?)
Here's the Civil PE one at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Engineering-Reference-Manual-Exam/dp/1591261295/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286200641&sr=1-1
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

J N Winkler

I am not a civil engineer, nor have I ever sat for a PE exam, but it is my understanding that in some states the PE exam consists of a relatively small number of design problems calling for answers in essay form.  The question gives you data and some criteria for the expected solution, and you must not only devise your own solution within that framework, but also check it.  For example, if the question asks you about a bridge over a stream, you have to spell out your design solution, and then check it against LRFD, 100-year flood level, etc.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Brandon

^^ Not in Illinois.  Here, it's an intensive exam that uses mathematical calculations and requires you to choose the best of four answers.  My exam had about 50 of these four a four hour time period, then another 50 in another four hours after that.

Scott5114

I should certainly hope some sort of computing device is allowed in the test. I'd hate to work all that shit out by hand. Thank God I never went with my first instinct to go to college for civil engineering. I would have died.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 06, 2010, 10:11:35 AM
I should certainly hope some sort of computing device is allowed in the test. I'd hate to work all that shit out by hand. Thank God I never went with my first instinct to go to college for civil engineering. I would have died.

In Illinois, they allow a TI-30Xa or similar calculator.  It was all I needed for the exam.

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on October 04, 2010, 09:58:41 AM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 02, 2010, 08:42:02 PM

Lindeberg, not Lomberg (why was I thinking Lomberg?)
Here's the Civil PE one at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Engineering-Reference-Manual-Exam/dp/1591261295/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286200641&sr=1-1

Well it's a lot of money, but if I never have to spend it again...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.