News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois Rules of the Road 1964

Started by US71, April 14, 2014, 04:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

I recently acquired a copy of the 1964 Rules of the Road Illinois Drivers' Manual. There are 11 pages of assorted road sign and traffic signal illustrations, which I am scanning and posting to my Flickr page.

A couple notes:
* The old "cut-out" style Illinois Route Marker is shown, though it was slowly being phased out in favor of the generic-looking square.
* There are illustrations of both the red/white and the yellow/black STOP signs.  Even though the red/white was the current standard, many yellow/black signs were still in existence through at least the late 1960's.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman

Quote from: US71 on April 14, 2014, 04:55:29 PM
    * There are illustrations of both the red/white and the yellow/black STOP signs.  Even though the red/white was the current standard, many yellow/black signs were still in existence through at least the late 1960's.[/li][/list]

It was only fairly recently that the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (other less pretentious states call it the Department of Motor Vehicles- or DMV) finally removed both the green flashing signal (Massachusetts' version of a flashing yellow) and the red with yellow steady signal (indicating exclusive pedestrian phase) from their drivers manual, even though both displays have been forbidden since the issuance of the 1971 MUTCD.  AFAIK, there are no longer any red-yellow pedestrian phases still in existence in Massachusetts, but there are still a handful of flashing green signals out there (like the one about a mile from my house).
    "And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
    Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

on_wisconsin

Anything in there about randomly cutting people off on rural freeways, while constantly slowing down and speeding up?
    "Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Brandon

Quote from: on_wisconsin on April 14, 2014, 08:30:44 PM
    Anything in there about randomly cutting people off on rural freeways, while constantly slowing down and speeding up?

Now, you know that's the Chicago Rules of the Road, typically unwritten but well understood by every FIB.
    "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: roadman on April 14, 2014, 07:07:00 PM
      * There are illustrations of both the red/white and the yellow/black STOP signs.  Even though the red/white was the current standard, many yellow/black signs were still in existence through at least the late 1960's.[/li][/list]

It was only fairly recently that the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (other less pretentious states call it the Department of Motor Vehicles- or DMV) finally removed both the green flashing signal (Massachusetts' version of a flashing yellow) and the red with yellow steady signal (indicating exclusive pedestrian phase) from their drivers manual, even though both displays have been forbidden since the issuance of the 1971 MUTCD.  AFAIK, there are no longer any red-yellow pedestrian phases still in existence in Massachusetts, but there are still a handful of flashing green signals out there (like the one about a mile from my house).
      There were red/yellows on Charles St. by MGH as recently as 2011 or 12, last time I walked through the area. Have those really been replaced in just the last two years?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on April 14, 2014, 08:50:46 PM

There were red/yellows on Charles St. by MGH as recently as 2011 or 12, last time I walked through the area. Have those really been replaced in just the last two years?

MIT used to crank out diligent pioneers who would nail down all these kinds of details and keep web logs of them (not "weblogs," which were something different and stranger still) in their spare time.  Hath the vine withered?

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 14, 2014, 09:09:01 PM

MIT used to crank out diligent pioneers who would nail down all these kinds of details and keep web logs of them (not "weblogs," which were something different and stranger still) in their spare time.  Hath the vine withered?
          I don't live there...?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on April 14, 2014, 09:13:29 PM
          Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 14, 2014, 09:09:01 PM

I don't live there...?

I feel like there was a greater tendency in general in olden times (late 1990s onwards until...) toward detailed internet lists of anomalies of this kind.  I blame social networking for stealing the valuable energies of our obsessive youth. 

Alps

We have new obsessive youth making lists of new things.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.