News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Wawa

Started by PHLBOS, September 15, 2014, 10:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Last time I was in a Speedway was the one at the intersection of US 60 and US 127 in Frankfort several months back. They had done away with their cold subs, roller hot dogs and heat-lamp hot sandwiches, and had installed a small touch-screen deli with food made to order. It reminded me of a poor man's Sheetz. Not sure if this has become more widespread with Speedway or not.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 16, 2014, 10:37:28 AM
Competition will play its part with the nearby Wawa.  If he loses business, he'll either reduce his prices or go out of business.
Honestly, I'm surprised he's still in business now.  $5/gallon is high enough that I would think most people would be driven elsewhere unless their need for gas was an emergency.

QuotePeople for some reason believe that everyone has to play fair.
But fairness is the basis for all of human morality and decency!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

signalman

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on September 16, 2014, 10:33:48 AM
Quote from: froggie on September 16, 2014, 08:19:22 AM
Quote from: Pete From BostonUp this way, we don't really have anything like them.  There are convenience stores with a Subway or Dunkin' Donuts, but that's as elaborate as most of them get.

Some of the newer Cumbies (Cumberland Farms for non-New Englanders) are getting Wawa-esque.  Not sure if they're doing touch-screen ordering (didn't check), but they might be.  And their SmartPay app is awesome.
Cumberland Farms is not welcome around here since their scandal a few years ago with accusing employees of theft to get them to quit:
http://articles.philly.com/1993-06-25/news/25972086_1_cashiers-cumberland-farms-settlement
I hope Wawa pushes north again and steamrolls them.  I think there may be a few of them still around in NJ (some became mom and pop " 'Fill in the blank' Farms").  They used to have frequent radio commercials touting "Cumbies" a few years ago that were really annoying, while there were none around anyway.

As for Wawas without pumps, there are still plenty of them around in New Jersey, although they are rapidly being replaced with the gas station versions.
You don't have to worry about Cumberland Farms in NJ, PA, or DE. They are completely out of all 3 states. They sold all of their stores and gas stations to PMG (Petroleum Marketing Group) back in April. The stores are now Circle K

jeffandnicole

Pete from Boston

Quote from: vdeane on September 16, 2014, 01:49:43 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 16, 2014, 10:37:28 AM
Competition will play its part with the nearby Wawa.  If he loses business, he'll either reduce his prices or go out of business.
Honestly, I'm surprised he's still in business now.  $5/gallon is high enough that I would think most people would be driven elsewhere unless their need for gas was an emergency.

Anyone who's returned a rental car with an imminent flight knows what it's like to consider unfamiliar gas options and resign to one and hope it's a good price.  Gasbuddy has changed this, of course, but lots of people get near the airport before considering their plight, and it's too risky to venture off for cheaper gas. 

Half of air travel is wringing people for really excessive overcharges because they're in a hurry.  Our whole toll road food conversation applies, only on a much larger scale (flying has probably made me much more pissed off at the gouging at rest areas, malls, etc.).

Duke87

Tier one in terms of places like this is Sheetz. It is in a league all of its own. There is nothing else like it.
Tier two contains Wawa, QuickChek, 7 Eleven, Circle K, and Couche-Tard. Establishments which have some brand prominence as places to go, but haven't truly mastered the art.
Anything else is just a generic gas station.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Pete from Boston

I wouldn't put 7-Eleven or Circle K in the same tier as Wawa or Quick Chek.

I miss Irving's bluecanoe stores.  They were a step up from the Circle Ks that replaced them in selection, cleanliness, and presentation.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Duke87 on September 17, 2014, 01:49:53 AM
Tier one in terms of places like this is Sheetz. It is in a league all of its own. There is nothing else like it.
Tier two contains Wawa, QuickChek, 7 Eleven, Circle K, and Couche-Tard. Establishments which have some brand prominence as places to go, but haven't truly mastered the art.
Anything else is just a generic gas station.
Sheetz is pretty good, but it's not THAT good.  Wawa is clearly Tier 1.  QuickChek is OK, but at least one level down.  7-11 is at the bottom. 

Two others I have encountered in south central PA (US 30 corridor):  Rutter's and Royal Farms, both of which seemed pretty good.

jeffandnicole

I would put Sheetz & Wawa in the same tier.  Other than different food offerings, the general layout of their properties and their made-to-order foods and beverages are practically the same.

Huh?  :hmmm:

These places have been in business for decades.  Nearly everyone has heard of 7-11 throughout the country, and if you're in the geographic area of the other stores, you're probably familiar with them too.  Actually, because of their larger territory in more populated areas, more people probably know of Wawa than Sheetz!

All of the convenience stores you mentioned definitely mastered the art of operating a convenience store in the manner they want to operate.  But I think you're trying to say that all convenience stores should be like Sheetz, which would be an incorrect assumption.

1995hoo

I've noted depending on where you are, sometimes the Sheetz logo is less prominent than you might expect. I've often made gas/toilet stops at the big Sheetz station at the corner of VA-3 and VA-20 in Wilderness, for example, and the word "Sheetz" only appeared on the station canopy. The more prominently-located sign listing the gas prices had an "MTO" logo at the top, I assume standing for "Made to Order" in reference to the store's sandwich operation. I know if I'm looking for a gas station I don't look to the station canopy because I'm looking at prices, and if I don't recognize the name on the price sign I'll probably be less likely to stop there unless I've been to that station before (such as, in this case, for toilet stops due to its location).

I always thought it was a bit odd the way the Sheetz logo is less prominent there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

02 Park Ave

How does White Hen Pantry rate?
C-o-H

formulanone

I don't care about paying an extra 10-25 cents a gallon if I'm returning a rental car. At worst, I'm out an extra dollar or two for the difference and convenience (since I typically fill up the night before). The rental car company will charge $7-9/gallon for a failure to return the car with the same fuel level. In tourist spots or large cities, you're more likely to get hammered by a gas station on the fringes of the airport. What most people don't realize is that you can usually get 10-20 miles until a fuel gauge reads anything less than full.

I used to rent from Enterprise, and they almost never filled the tank...you had to guess how much goes back in when you had 3/4 to begin with, so you wasted money. Sometimes, if you were lucky, the owners manual would be in the trunk, by the spare tire...and then you you could figure out the fuel capacity. By contrast, Avis leaves the tank full almost every time (perhaps once a year they rent it to me at less-than-full).

On topic, I tend to avoid prepared food from gas stations...haven't really tried anything other than the bottled drinks and an occasional snack. I've rarely come across Sheetz or Wawa stations; I usually just get fuel where I need it or have to use the restroom - brand loyalty means little in that department.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on September 17, 2014, 11:11:21 AM
How does White Hen Pantry rate?

Around here, pretty much vanished.  The one in Porter Square, Cambridge, turned into a much better independent operation, but just got torn down for yet more luxury condos. 

All the others I knew here are gone, as are the Stores24 (I assume that's the proper plural of Store24) and the long-gone Christy's, which were sold to 7-Eleven so the owner could pursue several personal political vendettas.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 17, 2014, 12:02:00 PMAll the others I knew here are gone, as are the Stores24 (I assume that's the proper plural of Store24)
The plural for that convenient store chain would be Store24s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 17, 2014, 01:58:55 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 17, 2014, 12:02:00 PMAll the others I knew here are gone, as are the Stores24 (I assume that's the proper plural of Store24)

But, but... Attorneys General! Whoppers Junior!

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: shadyjay on September 15, 2014, 08:36:25 PM
RE:  WaWa

There was also a WaWa at the Route 34 split in West Haven, where the divided highway/parkway began... it sat right in the median. 
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3044932,-72.975356,3a,75y,216.52h,77.52t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sA-BgVxmZznk3-X-ki2Y2aw!2e0

Today it's a Krauzer's, which most of the Wawa's in CT became... there was one in Cromwell just off I-91 at Exit 21 that I used to go to all the time.

The only former Wawa in CT that is not a Krauzer's is the one in New Britain by CCSU. It's some independent name.  Hey, if Yuengling can come back to CT, can they bring Wawa too?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 17, 2014, 03:10:54 PM

Given that your linked-source is from The Onion; I offer no comment.

I'm assuming that you posted the above in jest.  :)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

spooky

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 17, 2014, 03:10:54 PM

In non-farcical fast food pluralization ridiculousness, the singular of McDonalds' syrup-infused breakfast sandwich is "McGriddles", as in "I'll have a sausage McGriddles".

D-Dey65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 15, 2014, 12:46:40 PM
Wawa fanatics will have you destroyed!
They probably would.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 15, 2014, 12:46:40 PM
Opening in Florida was a huge operational change for Wawa.  Not only did they have to add a distribution center in Florida, but they started doing things they've never done in the Northeast, such as tables where people could sit and enjoy their food.  Again, the goal was to get you out of their stores and parking lots quickly.  But they're allowing themselves to adapt to the slower and older Florida lifestyle.
Yesterday, I saw one being built on the northwest corner of US 41 and FL 678 (Bearss Avenue) in North Tampa, and there was a motorist service sign indicating one at Exit 51 on I-275 (FL 582/Fowler Avenue). That's two exits south of the one being built along FL 678.

Scott5114

I don't live in Sheets or Wawa territory, so if I was to come across them without my knowledge of their offerings from the forum, I'd probably avoid both of them because their names are frickin' silly.

Then again, I think nothing of going to Kum and Go...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 20, 2014, 06:01:03 PM
I don't live in Sheets or Wawa territory, so if I was to come across them without my knowledge of their offerings from the forum, I'd probably avoid both of them because their names are frickin' silly.

I'm sure you wouldn't be the first one. For me, I better see several of them before I start considering them!

Duke87

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 17, 2014, 10:24:25 AM

Huh?  :hmmm:

These places have been in business for decades.  Nearly everyone has heard of 7-11 throughout the country, and if you're in the geographic area of the other stores, you're probably familiar with them too.  Actually, because of their larger territory in more populated areas, more people probably know of Wawa than Sheetz!

All of the convenience stores you mentioned definitely mastered the art of operating a convenience store in the manner they want to operate.  But I think you're trying to say that all convenience stores should be like Sheetz, which would be an incorrect assumption.

I am not speaking in terms of general familiarity or popularity. I am speaking merely in terms of my own personal opinion. I prefer any establishment in tier two to any other convenience store not mentioned, but I prefer Sheetz to any establishment in tier two.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 20, 2014, 06:01:03 PM

Sheetz (with a "z") is the name of the family that owns the chain. I went to college with someone whose last name was Sheets (with an "s.") He wasn't from the Altoona, Pa. area, but I suspect one of the spellings is a bastardization of the original.

Wawa's symbol is some kind of bird, and I think "wawa" is some old Indian name for said bird.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Yeah, I typed the Z, but I am posting from my phone on a break at work and it "corrected" it for me. Eye halve a spiel chequer.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

02 Park Ave

A Wawa is a "breed" of goose.  There is a town on the north shore of Lake. Superior.in Ontario named Wawa.
C-o-H

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.